Cobpyth's Movie Log ~ 2017

→ in
Tools    

#23 - The Edge of Seventeen (2016) ~ February 5

This is basically your typical quirky modern teenage film, but I'd say there's also some extra dramatic value to it because of the brother/sister/mother relationship that's being presented. This film was just what I expected it to be. It's not too bad as a relaxing watch, but I'll probably forget about it pretty quickly.

#24 - Jeune & Jolie a.k.a. Young & Beautiful (2013) ~ February 5

A young girl loses her virginity and decides to start prostituting herself... It seems like a potentially cheap plot, but it resulted in a pretty great film, in my opinion!
Being a French film, it automatically reminded me a little bit of Belle de Jour (which is one of my all time favorite films), but I'd say this film is lighter and more forgiving in tone. It doesn't focus as much on the dark side of what the girl's doing, even though the film doesn't completely shy away from that either.
The film merely observes its characters and events and it invites the viewer to make up their own mind of what's going on. There's never a clear moment of judgement, explanation or subjectiveness. I thought this was the right way to handle this material. I loved this film's approach.
The movie also stars an absolutely gorgeous actress who is perfectly capable of representing the complexity of her character. She's vital to this film's success for me.

#25 - The Love Witch (2016) ~ February 5

One of the best modern throwbacks to a certain type of 60s and 70s genre cult films that I've personally seen. The mood was exactly right.
A heartbroken girl has become obsessed with a cult-like lifestyle full of witchcraft and weird ceremonies. She uses this lifestyle to make men become obsessed with her in order to satisfy her desire to be loved. Things quickly turn darker...
This film is one gigantic fest of campiness, but like all the best campy films, there are plenty of interesting perspectives to be discovered from the eccentric story that's being told. I enjoyed this a lot. I'm so glad there are still films like this being made!

I've got this - I hope it's better than her last one.
It's probably a little too trashy, eccentric and (possibly) slow for your taste. Still hope you get some fun out of it when you eventually watch it, Mark!

Been really wanting to see The Love Witch! Heard great things.

#26 - Pale Rider (1985) ~ February 6

This is probably the weakest of the four Western films Clint Eastwood directed, but it's still a great watch. The mystical aspect he added to his character here works rather well. It's not a bad idea to elevate a character to something more than merely a human. Characters can effectively represent ideas and myths too, even in serious films. This is one of those good films that proves that.

#27 - A Dangerous Method (2011) ~ February 7

This film is kind of atypical for Cronenberg. It's less blatantly expressive than most of his other work. I would even go as far as calling it a restrained film according to his standards (I would not say this if it was made by a different director). I think it worked out beautifully, but huge fans of his other films might not. We get a very intelligent observational look into the relationship between the three main characters.
All three of them are ultimately trying to understand the human mind, but the film wonderfully makes clear that each of the characters can't even fully control the tendencies of their own minds. The mind is being studied by minds which are flawed themselves.
It's funny that Cronenberg chose this film to control his own typical tendencies. Some might see it as a weakness and others as a strength of this film. I think it's the latter.

Mini-Series Documentary - Inside Obama's White House (2016) ~ February 8

This is a four-part documentary about Obama's time in the White House. It's told from the president and his staff's point of view, but there are also some republicans that get interviewed.
I'd say it's a pretty interesting look inside Obama's eight years as president. You get a good grasp of all the political groups and individuals that are involved in the political process that a president needs to run through when trying to realize his campaign promises. The political game is a multi-dimensional one.
The documentary certainly isn't all-encompassing, but it's a pretty good portrait of the 44th POTUS. Worth a watch.

#28 - Nocturnal Animals (2016) ~ February 10

Beautiful film. I somehow suspect that the story probably won't work as well for me during a rewatch as it did now, though. I also wasn't completely in love with the ending. I get what Tom Ford was going for, but that type of ending kind of has become a cliché in its own right. He could've delivered the same point more effectively, I think.
All in all, I enjoyed this first viewing a lot, though. Michael Shannon is gradually becoming one of my favorite actors in the field. What a giant personality that man has. I'll definitely seek out more of his work (I need to get into Jeff Nichols soon anyway). I hope he gets to play a juicy role in a film of one of my absolute favorite directors in the near future. He's ready to become immortalized.

#29 - Stand By me (1986) ~ February 11

Solid nostalgic movie. This didn't deeply touch me or anything, but I was definitely charmed by it. I can certainly understand why this is a favorite for many.

#30 - Foreign Correspondent (1940) ~ February 11

I bumped into another huge spy film by Hitchcock and again it was a very wild ride! I probably liked parts of the adventure in Saboteur a little more, but Foreign Correspondent comes much nicer together and therefore feels like a better film as a whole.
I was moved by the ending, knowing that this was made in 1940. It makes this film feel like a piece of history as well.