"Event Horizon" one of the best horror scifi thrillers of the 90s

→ in
Tools    

i kinda was interested when i first saw the intro of this film as i was watching it as a kid back in 1998 on tv, it was the Movie channel back then, when the showtime network was up.
i liked the premise and oozing atmosphere since the first scene, on the other hand i like sam neill's portrayal and acting , in most of his movies , he's just a very good actor when it comes to horror movies as we previously saw him in in the mouth of madness.
Sam Neil here portray the good guy who turns into a bad guy predominantly and in a very good fashion.
paul w s anderson does a great job of making this ship terrifying as it could be, with some great scenes of terror in this film.
laurence fishburne is at his usual best and he does the same here, portraying how good as an actor he is.
all in all i liked this movie a lot, have your say.

"I smell sex and candy here" - Marcy Playground
It was forgettable for me, and I watched it in the theatre. I know I've seen it, but it didn't leave an impression like Terminator 2, Gattaca, Total Recall, etc. Predator 2 was more memorable. I remember hating Sphere, so even that one left more of an impression than Event Horizon did. I think it only made back about a third of its budget to date, which is why I can't imagine it being one of the best from the 90s.

WE GOT MOVIE SIGN!!!
y'know? I've heard quite a few people reccommend this film...the plot certainly seems to be up my street...I'll probably have to dig it out at some point...nice little overview here! certainly put me in the mind to go for dip into amazon and try my luck xD

You can't win an argument just by being right!
For some reason that movie gave me a string of bad dreams the night I saw it.

For some reason that movie gave me a string of bad dreams the night I saw it.
I think it's very good at capturing a dream state.

WARNING: spoilers below
The bit that I remember most is when Weir is crouched inside some kind of narrow shaft or passageway and sees the apparition of his dead, eyeless wife. You hear him wail in fright and then Weir wakes up.

I think it's very good at capturing a dream state.

The bit that I remember most is when Weir is crouched inside some kind of narrow shaft or passageway and sees the apparition of his dead, eyeless wife. You hear him wail in fright and then Weir wakes up.
That might have been it that did it. Very cool reaction - rarely happens.

That might have been it that did it. Very cool reaction - rarely happens.
It's that thing of

hearing yourself cry out and then wondering whether you actually did or it was just part of the dream. Very unnerving.

It's that thing of

hearing yourself cry out and then wondering whether you actually did or it was just part of the dream. Very unnerving.
Even during bad dreams I have a hard time crying out so when it actually does happen it freaks me out. Only really yelps out of my mouth usually during a fever dream.

Even during bad dreams I have a hard time crying out so when it actually does happen it freaks me out. Only really yelps out of my mouth usually during a fever dream.
I don't dream much at all any more. I did have a particular, very unpleasant recurring dream but I'm saving that for a rainy day .

I don't dream much at all any more. I did have a particular, very unpleasant recurring dream but I'm saving that for a rainy day .
I used to dream about hannibal after rewatching an episode at stupid o'clock then falling intro microsleep. That was pretty fun.

I used to dream about hannibal after rewatching an episode at stupid o'clock then falling intro microsleep. That was pretty fun.
Well it's a pretty extreme universe and I suppose it can be so surreal it's almost like fantasy — the hideous thing is that things like that can and have happened.

The Ring really creeped me out and stuck with me, in particular the crawling of Samara along the floor. And the victims were done really well in the remake I thought.

Well it's a pretty extreme universe and I suppose it can be so surreal it's almost like fantasy — the hideous thing is that things like that can and have happened.

The Ring really creeped me out and stuck with me, in particular the crawling of Samara along the floor. And the victims were done really well in the remake I thought.
Yeah that crawling movement really creeps me out.

Yeah that crawling movement really creeps me out.
I didn't really respond to the Japanese version as much although I think I remember the TV moment being a lot more realistic and believable – that's very up my street that kind of ultra close to reality horror or fantasy.

I didn't really respond to the Japanese version as much although I think I remember the TV moment being a lot more realistic and believable – that's very up my street that kind of ultra close to reality horror or fantasy.
I cant remember which one I saw but it was the crawling movement and the filthy wet hair over her face that got me

I cant remember which one I saw but it was the crawling movement and the filthy wet hair over her face that got me
Yeah, apparently that's the traditional appearance for Japanese ghosts, and no feet or at least legs that taper away into nothing.

I love Event Horizon. Definitely in my top 5 sci-fi movie ever.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Wanted to love it. This was the one where they gain access to the ship and everything is frozen solid in zero G except for a plastic water bottle sloshing through space in front of the camera. And the guy from mTV's Dead at 21.

Loved fishburn and Dr. Weir ... until he freaked out.

It's one of those typical cult films where you can almost see the spectre of its full potential and you can't help but like it for that reason.