The 13TH Hall of Fame

Tools    

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Trying to decide what to go with next. Perhaps Dead Poets Society. I'd like to see Buffalo '66 soon but I haven't found an apple friendly version to watch on.

Trying to decide what to go with next. Perhaps Dead Poets Society. I'd like to see Buffalo '66 soon but I haven't found an apple friendly version to watch on.
I know of an online site that converts streaming videos, it says it works for mobile users. I'll send you the link.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
There could be a little something to that. I was very excited to see Manchester By The Sea, but since I wait for DVD release, I had to read for months how emotional and great it was. My expectations were very high. While I very much enjoyed it, I didn't feel tremendous power. On the other hand, I knew zippo about Broken Circle Breakdown when I put it on, not even that it was a sad movie.
I've done that, prepared for the onslaught oftimes takes a little of the sting off (unless of course the movie hits the right chords and hits me anyway) while going in blind. . . well, kinda self-explanatory lol

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Dead Poets Society POTENTIAL SPOILERS

O Captain my Captain.

Still pains me to this day that Robin Williams is no longer on earth. He's always an actor that I've really liked. Just surprisingly I had never actually gotten to this movie before. I think he does a real fine job in the film, even if he's really not given a huge chance to shine in it mainly due to what the screenplay entailed.

Guess I didn't even realize it but this was my fourth Peter Weir film. He has a certain style that makes his films seem like they are make from the same mold, using the atmosphere and setting to build his films up. Here, he uses the prep school as his main backdrop for where the story takes place.

I think my biggest problem is, aside from the fantastic Williams, I found it hard to care for the child actors, Ethan Hawke included. Neil's character was probably most relatable but we still don't get to know him really all that much. In fact, We don't get to know many of them beforehand, which can be ok if you find the characters relatable but that didn't happen for me. Some of them felt a bit bland (maybe on purpose due to who they were?) but it certainly affected my viewing thoughts.

I was surprised with the suicide of Neil's character since I knew nothing about the film going in. I thought perhaps maybe it was even taken a bit too far, but it certainly wasn't something that couldn't happen. Love the ending scene so luckily the film ended on a high note.

I just wish there was more Robin Williams. I wish we felt a better connection to him from his students. Certainly the premise of the film was something rather solid, but it's buildup and execution left a little to be desired for me.

Would have been nice to see the film be a bit more uplifting. In a way it was, but I feel like it missed the chance to be even more so. By no means is this a bad film, but it's one that I thought was an easy
at minimum for me but couldn't hit on those expectations.

A little update from me, sorry if I wasn't very active on this topic

Dead Poet's Society: This movie is special for me, it's probably my first cinematic love, it was my favorite movie when I was 15,16,17 years old, it made me cry where, it made me in awe. This whole idea of the poetic life, of carpe diem, of giving a big **** you to normality, routine, etc. is never stronger. So I have a particular attachment to this film because it's the film that made me love cinema, the film that made me go out and rent movies, and start watching them on a daily basis and it will always for this reason remain one of my favorite. However, after rewatching it 4 or 5 time I find it incredibly flawed ''objectively''. First of all SPOILER ALERT IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN IT DON'T READ THE NEXT SENTENCE. I find the suicide absolutely ridiculous, I don't think the film give us enough of the psychological turmoil of Neil, sure he's sad, but not suicidal, I find it goes against the spirit of the film, it doesn't work for me. The other problem is that the thesis that defends John Keating worked for the 15 year old for me, but not for the 21 year old who studies philosophy. This whole idea of ''embracing life'' have no content, sure carpe diem, but life is hard, we are physical beings with limitations, we have sickness, hardship, differing moods, I think we have to accept that and there is no idyllic perfect vision of life like the one Keating proposes us. It's still one of my favorite films, but it might be more for nostalgia, for the mood it gives me then for the merits of the film.

Captain Fantastic: Already commented

Manchester By The Sea: I saw this in the theater recently so I don't need to rewatch it, I remember it clearly. I really liked this film, not a pleasant one, but it goes very deep in the psychology of its characters, Affleck is effective even if he always seem to be on the same note thorughout the film, but it works for the character, he is that guy. It's not a very enjoyable film though, not one I'll rewatch on a regular basis, still a strong emotional film that shows how someone who lived possibly the worst thing ever goes on living. That's actually why I find Affleck's monotone acting style here excellent, I feel living such an experience would make someone psychologically indifferent to most things, just living life like a passing succession of descriptive moments to which you can't give any evaluative thought, you don't enjoy or hate anything, you're just destroyed.

Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter...And Spring Need to rewatch it, I remember absolutely loving it, but after reading Citizen's comment about animal torturing the film loses a lot of my respect.

Buffalo '66 Never seen it

The Marriage of Maria Braun Watched it a long time ago, need to rewatch it. I remember not liking the film.

Nightmare Alley Never heard of it, need to watch it

Forbidden Games Watched it a long time ago, I remember absolutely hating it, I need to rewatch!

The Quiet Earth Rented it, I'll watch it soon

The Three Musketeers: Never seen it

The Great Dictator: Love this film, I'll still rewatch it

Wings of Desire: Need to rewatch it, I feel I'll love it. The first time it didn't do much for me, but I was young.

The Hunt: I adore this film, Thomas Vintenberg is one of my favorite directors working today I loved all the film I saw from him (The Celebration and Far From the Madden Crowd), his style is so realistic, the point is to put us in the position of this teacher, to see how sometimes people with good intentions can harm each other, I had so much sympathy for Mads Mikkelsen, I was absolutely into the story. I felt uncomfortable where I needed to, it was a fantastic experience.

The Broken Circle Breakdown: I love this film, I saw this on netflix randomly and it grabbed me. Actually, I thought the music was better then the characters, the story. I didn't care THAT much for them, still they were fine, but the atmosphere, the music is absolutely fantastic and is enough for me to enjoy the film and to consider it amongst those I'll rewatch periodically in my life.

Flesh + Blood: Never heard of it

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
A little update from me, sorry if I wasn't very active on this topic

Dead Poet's Society: This movie is special for me, it's probably my first cinematic love, it was my favorite movie when I was 15,16,17 years old, it made me cry where, it made me in awe. This whole idea of the poetic life, of carpe diem, of giving a big **** you to normality, routine, etc. is never stronger. So I have a particular attachment to this film because it's the film that made me love cinema, the film that made me go out and rent movies, and start watching them on a daily basis and it will always for this reason remain one of my favorite. However, after rewatching it 4 or 5 time I find it incredibly flawed ''objectively''. First of all SPOILER ALERT IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN IT DON'T READ THE NEXT SENTENCE. I find the suicide absolutely ridiculous, I don't think the film give us enough of the psychological turmoil of Neil, sure he's sad, but not suicidal, I find it goes against the spirit of the film, it doesn't work for me. The other problem is that the thesis that defends John Keating worked for the 15 year old for me, but not for the 21 year old who studies philosophy. This whole idea of ''embracing life'' have no content, sure carpe diem, but life is hard, we are physical beings with limitations, we have sickness, hardship, differing moods, I think we have to accept that and there is no idyllic perfect vision of life like the one Keating proposes us. It's still one of my favorite films, but it might be more for nostalgia, for the mood it gives me then for the merits of the film.

Manchester By The Sea: I saw this in the theater recently so I don't need to rewatch it, I remember it clearly. I really liked this film, not a pleasant one, but it goes very deep in the psychology of its characters, Affleck is effective even if he always seem to be on the same note thorughout the film, but it works for the character, he is that guy. It's not a very enjoyable film though, not one I'll rewatch on a regular basis, still a strong emotional film that shows how someone who lived possibly the worst thing ever goes on living. That's actually why I find Affleck's monotone acting style here excellent, I feel living such an experience would make someone psychologically indifferent to most things, just living life like a passing succession of descriptive moments to which you can't give any evaluative thought, you don't enjoy or hate anything, you're just destroyed.
rather enjoyed these two observations.

Firstly, with Dead Poet's Society, I would like to jokingly ask: So, does this mean, much like the other teacher who talks with Keating, you are a Realist??
Though I do see your argument and it is one we address upon fully becoming an adult and all that that encompasses.
For myself, I had a sadness at losing that "embracing life" to adhere to the demands of responsibility. I think the compromise is to continue to "appreciate life" while still taking care of your business and surviving the onslaught of day to day.
At this stage of life I have found a slow return to the embrace and finding the appreciation is the elixir to truly survive the day to day.
I never saw Keating's teaching as implying an idyllic perfect vision of life. I saw a reminder that, while we work to sustain life, there are some truly wondrous things that we stay alive for. And that we should try to remember and hold on to that as we deal with our day to day.

And with Manchester I wholly agree that, for many, it IS so easy to shut yourself off emotionally after any given loss or trauma. Choosing not to feel than to feel the loss, sadness and so forth..
Nicely put, PG, nicely put.

Dances With Wolves (Kevin Costner, 1990)

I was really glad to see this nominated. I've seen this twice before and each time I watched it, it gets better. This time was no exception, I liked it even more.

Kevin Costner not only stars in this but directed and produced it too. You can tell this movie is a labor of love as there is so much packed into the movie, it is truly an epic, and yet it feels so personal.

I can't think of no other actor who at the time could have filled Costner's boots. And no, I'm not a big Kevin Costner fan...but he was the right fit for this role.

One of the most important aspects of film making is to give the audience a character they can relate to...someone who serves as a proxy as we experience the world of the movie through their character. And Costner is perfect for that, he's the everyday guy, someone who's fed up with the killing in the Civil War and just wants to escape the stupidity of it all. And he does escape it, and ends up in the middle of nowhere, which to him is the most beautiful place on Earth.

I could easily see that given the same place, time and circumstances that I too would have taken a similar path...and that makes Dances With Wolves a personal film, as I can 'live' history for the duration of the film.

I love the cinematography AND I respect the fact that Costner as the producer spent a quarter of million dollars on animatronic buffalo that were used in the hunt. No buffalo were killed during the film! Costner is not the type of person to do that and that fits with the theme of embracing nature as his character John Dunbar does.

I have to say the voice over narration was a thing of beauty. It gave me a sense of awe and longing that his character experienced.

My favorite interaction was between Costner and Graham Green as Kicking Bird. I've seen other movies that respect and show Native Americans as a proud people, but even better, we see that they are just people. I loved the way Kicking Bird interacted with his wife, he reminded me of myself...Kicking Bird was a well developed character, but so was many of the Sioux, and that's very nice to see in a movie.

I think so highly of Dances With Wolves, that I plan on watching the extended 4 hour version when I get a chance.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	dances-with-wolves.jpg
Views:	543
Size:	261.8 KB
ID:	30429  

The most loathsome of all goblins

Dances with Wolves

Well there went half of my Saturday. This is the sixth (I think?) time I've seen it, and boy is it an experience every time. The visuals are beautiful, especially accompanied by that John Barry score, and I have to say I definitely love the slow-burning extended cut, even though I admit to never having seen the original theatrical version.

I have to agree with Citizen that the narration makes an impact, it really made me think and feel as if I was John Dunbar. His isolation, his empathy, his longing, I can almost taste it.

Also, once again I teared up when they shot Two Socks. Happens every time without fail

9.5/10

Captain Fantastic

I have mixed feelings on this one. Even though the film had a really intriguing concept, I thought it was excecuted really poorly. First of all, I really disliked monotone and shallow dialogue. Literally half of character's exchanges appeared to be definitions of concepts rewritten straight out of encyclopedia. The film was also filled with bunch of random philosophy references, which didn't really go anywhere deeper and whose main purpose was to make this film appear very smart. The thing that also bothered me was, how undeveloped the film was in certain arcs. For example I'd like to see a prelude to Ben's story. How exactly did his life look before he decided to go nomad? Or what exactly prompted him and his wife to decide for such a drastic upbringing of their children? I won't even mention some glaring plotholes in the film, which were left unexplained. Also what left me baffled was how condescending this film acted towards Christianity. For a film that propagated the idea of liberal lifesyle and respect of all worldviews, this seemed very out of order. There were also a couple of gruesome scenes, where film definitely went to far in my opinion. Talking mainly about the grave and public toilet ones. I thought they were really sick and twisted. It's a shame actually, because the film had a really good theme. The exploration of what happens when parents are imposing their radical ideologies on their children was on one hand really fascinating watch. However, Captain Fantastic tried too hard to appear intelligent and I found it pretty difficult to take it seriously for most of the time.

I meant to watch something for this yesterday, but the day flew by really quickly and before I knew it, it was time to go to bed haha.

I think I might watch Flesh and Blood or The Marriage of Maria Braun. The recent Dances with Wolves reviews have me tempted to watch that, but I still only have the Extended version and would like to try and find the theatrical cut.

The most loathsome of all goblins
I meant to watch something for this yesterday, but the day flew by really quickly and before I knew it, it was time to go to bed haha.
Just started a new job and it's been exhausting. I had to drink three cups of coffee and a Red Bull just for Dances with Wolves, yeesh
I think I might watch Flesh and Blood or The Marriage of Maria Braun. The recent Dances with Wolves reviews have me tempted to watch that, but I still only have the Extended version and would like to try and find the theatrical cut.
The Marriage of Maria Braun is my next watch I think, how can I not be intrigued by a poster of a woman putting on stockings? It better not be false advertising!

Dances with Wolves

...This is the sixth (I think?) time I've seen it, and boy is it an experience every time. The visuals are beautiful, especially accompanied by that John Barry score, and I have to say I definitely love the slow-burning extended cut, even though I admit to never having seen the original theatrical version.
Wow, you've seen it 6 times, that's impressive. Glad there's some fans of it here. I think that was my 3rd viewing...and yup it's a viewing experiencing alright. I plan on watching the 4 hour extended version before this Hof is done

Oh I forget to say in my review, that I did manage to find the wide screen version, yes!

....I think I might watch Flesh and Blood or The Marriage of Maria Braun. The recent Dances with Wolves reviews have me tempted to watch that, but I still only have the Extended version and would like to try and find the theatrical cut...
I so wonder what's in the extra hour? I guess I'll find out, so I can compare the two versions.

...The Marriage of Maria Braun is my next watch I think, how can I not be intrigued by a poster of a woman putting on stockings? It better not be false advertising!
Ha! I like that

Jeff, your review of Captain Fantastic perfectly says how I feel about the film too.

Even though the film had a really intriguing concept, I thought it was executed really poorly.
I thought the concept was fresh and very interesting, but like you said the execution of the idea was poor.

It's like the film makers decided to market the film at the Wes Anderson fans, to make more money...as opposed to being true to the film's concept and having the dialogue and character actions come organically from the concept.

First of all, I really disliked monotone and shallow dialogue. Literally half of character's exchanges appeared to be definitions of concepts rewritten straight out of encyclopedia.
The film was also filled with bunch of random philosophy references, which didn't really go anywhere deeper and whose main purpose was to make this film appear very smart.
I hate false sounding dialogue too. It makes me think of a smug but none to wise scriptwriter who's trying to impress with his/her writing skills...while failing to understand the humanity of the characters they are writing for.

And a lot of movies fall into this trap. It takes a special kind of script writer to write dialogue that does not sound like it's coming from the mind of the writer, but flows naturally from the character. I thought the pseudo philosophy was overdone in the movie.

There were also a couple of gruesome scenes, where film definitely went to far in my opinion. Talking mainly about the grave and public toilet ones. I thought they were really sick and twisted.
I found the toilet scene with the kids laughing to be so contrived and fakey, as to ruin any validity the film had. If the film was going that direction, then it needed to be a broader comedy.

I did in fact watch Flesh and Blood earlier today. I planned to get my write-up done this afternoon, but it was an absolutely gorgeous day out (the first we've had all Spring). And now I'm not really in the mood to write a review. If I don't get one done this evening, it'll definitely be done tomorrow though since I'm off work.

One irrelevant and completely pointless thought I did have early in the movie was that Rutger Hauer wearing that bandanna reminded me of his character from Blood of Heroes. So I was glad when he took it off haha.

Dead Poets Society (Peter Weir, 1989)

I'm glad this was nominated, as it was on my watch list and I'd never seen it before.

I have to say I was underwhelmed by it and this is usually my type of movie. But nothing worked for me here, well except the actual premise, sure seize the day, OK that was good, but the execution of that premise was hap hazard.

I didn't like Robin Williams in this. He was great as a stand up comic and had a fast paced witty mind, but in this movie, it's like he's not the character, but Robin Williams. He was great in his comic movies like Mrs. Doubtfire, but I just didn't buy him as this maverick teacher who could reach the kids. Other than telling them to rip pages out of a school book or standing on the desk, what is it he did that was so special. I think John Lithgow would have been a much better choice for the role, maybe even John Cleese.

And the script itself is lacking. I never felt like I got to know the students other than the one who wanted to be an actor. It was like they were all interchangeable.

The scenes seemed forced and I didn't buy many of them. I never bought into his teaching methods either...And the head school master was like a mustache twirling movie bad guy, and so was the father of the student who wanted to be an actor. Two cliched... Elia Kazan once said of movie characters, every bad guy character should have some redeeming quality that the audience can identify with and every good character should have a dark flaw. I thought a lot of the scenes were just silly and the characters not real done.

Sorry but I don't get the love for this film.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	DPS 300.jpg
Views:	356
Size:	274.5 KB
ID:	30439  

Dances With Wolves (Kevin Costner, 1990)
Imdb

Date Watched: 05/14/17
Cinema or Home: Home
Reason For Watching: 13th HOF, My Nomination
Rewatch: Of course.

Dances With Wolves is the epitome of the word epic. With its sweeping vistas, breathtaking cinematography, incredible score, attention to detail, and a story that is at once wonderfully uplifting and terribly heartbreaking, it is a film to be experienced and not merely watched.

Director, producer, and star Kevin Costner brings to his role of John Dunbar a certain charm, curiosity, and sensitivity that serve the character well and remind me why he was once my favorite actor. The other actors also did well to embody their characters with Graham Greene being a particular standout as the intelligent, level headed, and equally curious Kicking Bird. His interactions with Dunbar and with his wife were among my favorite scenes.

There is also a great sense of authenticity to what the film shows. It is not without creative license, historical inaccuracy, and romanticism, but it's apparent that great pains were taken to make everything feel real. The tipis and the costumes were made from naturally tanned and dyed buffalo hide, the actors - who were of different tribes - all learned to speak Lakota, and a herd of 3,000 bison was used in the hunting scene.

But what is most impressive about this film is its emotional impact - both in terms of the feelings it conveys and those it evokes. The writing, music, and camerawork all come together beautifully to capture a sense of longing and of loss - not just for the culture of the native peoples, but for the plains themselves and for the animals that inhabited them.

It also casts a harsh spotlight on the greed, selfishness, cruelty, and waste of the white soldiers and settlers of the time. Watching this film and seeing the frontier and its people through Dunbar's eyes I find it impossible not to feel the sense of disgust that he feels and also perhaps some shame over the history of my nation.

I've seen many people look down on this film because they find it unworthy of the accolades and awards it received (especially in comparison to a certain Martin Scorsese film), but movies like this are the very reason why I love movies. I want to be moved. I want to feel what the characters feel. I want to fall in love as they do. I want to laugh with them. I want to cry with them. And I want to come away from it all with the desire to go back to it again and again. Dances With Wolves does all of that.