1940's Recommendations

Tools    

But most of all, I remember The Road Warrior.
My knowledge of 40s films is pretty entry-level (I'm working on watching more) but two lesser known ones I've enjoyed are Champion (1949) and Raw Deal (1948). Champion got Kirk Douglas his first nomination for best actor and Raw Deal is an early Anthony Mann film.

Can you add The Set-Up Camo? Its one I think you might like too.
Of course. I'll make sure to check it out as i'm planning on watching quite a bit of Noir since the 40's are pretty much seen as the golden age of it.

The most loathsome of all goblins
One that just came to mind is Strange Cargo (1940)

It's a very unusual drama-adventure movie about a group of convicts escaping from an Island prison, never seen anything quite like it.

Must be doin sumthin right
Portrait of Jennie (1948) - Very otherworldy-feeling, beautiful and unique movie. It's like the '40s The Night of the Hunter, but more emotionally affecting

Another one not on the list is Suspicion (1941), which is an underrated Hitchcock imo. It has a supposedly compromised ending mandated by the studio, but it actually plays like a dark joke the way he wound up doing it

Portrait of Jennie (1948) - Very otherworldy-feeling, beautiful and unique movie. It's like the '40s The Night of the Hunter, but more emotionally affecting

Another one not on the list is Suspicion (1941), which is an underrated Hitchcock imo. It has a supposedly compromised ending mandated by the studio, but it actually plays like a dark joke the way he wound up doing it
Hmm, your comparison to Night of the Hunter peaked my interest. Guess I'll have to watch it.

Thought i'd bump this thread since the 40's Countdown is upcoming and maybe there will be some recs that aren't on the list.

I'll add this so this isn't a worthless bump - https://www.pastemagazine.com/articl...the-1940s.html

It's just a top 50 of the 40's list, pretty sure every film on it is in the first post but each has a paragraph about them and it'd probably help turn people onto stuff easier than going through a large list of just titles.

Thought i'd bump this thread since the 40's Countdown is upcoming and maybe there will be some recs that aren't on the list.

I'll add this so this isn't a worthless bump - https://www.pastemagazine.com/articl...the-1940s.html

It's just a top 50 of the 40's list, pretty sure every film on it is in the first post but each has a paragraph about them and it'd probably help turn people onto stuff easier than going through a large list of just titles.
What the 40's Countdown means? Is there gonna be 1940s HoF?

What the 40's Countdown means? Is there gonna be 1940s HoF?
Here - https://www.movieforums.com/communit...ad.php?t=49083

If you want to take part you have to send a ranked list of 25 1940's films by September 3rd to SilentVamp. Your #1 will get 25 points, #2 will get 24 points, etc. Well it's all in that thread. You should send one, no rush though there's still four months.

Added Vamps 40's thread along with that Paste Magazine top 50 to the first post under "stuff worth reading" with Jal's post, it's at the bottom. If anyone has any interesting 40's links post them if you want and i'll add them.

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken
I have added The Uninvited
The Uninvited is such a good movie.

Speaking of ghost stories, I am not sure if this was mentioned, I think The Ghost and Mrs. Muir is another excellent one to watch.

And speaking of Gene Tierney movies, I don't recall if this one was mentioned either, but Heaven Can Wait would be another recommendation from me.

I recently re-watched one of my all-time favorites. The Pride of the Yankees. I love that movie. And I hope others would be interested in it because I actually think it really is a film that should be considered for the list. Gary Cooper was ridiculously perfect for the role and it is just a good, good film.

And since I am mentioning Teresa Wright films, Mrs. Miniver is another one to consider.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
These are a few terrific movies that I don't think have been mentioned yet:

The Clock (1945)

Journey for Margaret (1942)

The Enchanted Cottage (1945)

Unregistered User
I need to see The Uninvited again. Was below average for me the first time around but maybe I missed something.

I don't think you did. I've watched it twice fairly recently and was disappointed. Watch The Spiral Staircase instead, if you haven't already.