Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
I, Daniel Blake -
+

Been really looking forward to this, i have to check out more Loach films; great director. Nobody is close to him at depicting British working-class life and characters, the characters in this film feel like real people i know. I mean Daniel feels like a composite of at least a dozen guys i know; generally a good hard working man but aging and feeling easily irritated at life and societies sh!tty curveballs, well known in his community, etc. There's stuff i won't go into because he felt scarily like some close people to me both in personality and circumstances which made this film feel somewhat personal to me. All i'll say is that his frustrating and depressing experience with the benefits system seems to be fairly accurate from anecdotes i've heard anyway. Watching a really good man get completely broke down by an awful system is so sad and the knowledge that it happens in real life makes it that much worse. Saw the ending coming a mile away and i mean about 15 minutes into the film but it didn't make it any less effective.

Loved his relationship with Katie and the kids, it was so tough to watch a young mother who clearly loved her kids and went without to provide for them struggling so much. The scene she broke down in the food bank was so depressing. The prostitution part as well, i figured that's where it was going before Ivan even came into it but the scene that Daniel confronts her was heartbreaking. It wasn't all bleak the humour even though not constant was great, Daniel being extremely hopeless on the computers was brilliant "it's frozen. What, can you defrost it?" . Alot of the humour and good feelings came from his friendship with his younger neighbour (forgot his name) which was very well done.

Great film, the story is very simple but that's part of why it is so good; it feels like real life. It's certainly not going to be for everyone it pretty much heaps misery after misery on you then when a bit of hope finally comes it is cruelly snatched away. Regardless though i loved it; either my second or third favourite of 2016, Dave Johns is my favourite male performance and Hayley Squires is up there too.
I love Loach. Would you say this is one of his best movies?

_____ is the most important thing in my life…
This post has 10 Reps while the actual review has 3. Cray-Cray.

I give you guys a lot of credit for writing reviews, in part because I can't and I really admire the ability. That said. A golden rule I heard a long time ago, is find a reviewer that appeals to your tastes. Everyone knows Iro is a great reviewer, but I get lost trying to figure out where he comes from and what he really likes and why.

I also think people hand out rep like halloween candy because this is the participation thread.

I love Loach. Would you say this is one of his best movies?
Couldn't say mate i've only seen six from him that's why i said at the start i really need to see more from him. It's my second favourite so far, here's how i'd rank them:

01.Sweet Sixteen
02.I, Daniel Blake
03.The Wind That Shakes The Barley
04.My Name Is Joe
05.Kes (should probably rewatch this, it's been years and i wasn't really familar with him or this type of film at the time)
06.The Angels Share (meh)

Something Wild

An interesting flick about a man with a typical business day job who goes on an adventure exploring his inner rebel, unearthed by a girl who picks him up for some fun and games. She sees the stress but senses the carefree, encouraging him not to fear being naughty. She brings out his hidden attributes--the wild side--which turns out to be more than he could handle, and something more than both of them bargained for.

the last movie i have seen is deepwater horizon, and i think the movie the great and i give 7 rating.

The Purge: Election year

This was more like the movie I wanted the first two to be and even laughed a few times..

"I like black people but I'm not gonna let you kill these white folks... these are our white people"

4/5

David Brent Life on the road.

Loved the office probably one of my favourite series so i watched this with slight hesitation after hearing none of the other office cast were in it, what a surprise i loved it! Always felt sorry for Brent as the guy no one likes but the ending was very satisfying and did bring a tear to the eye just seeing him have a beer with friends.

4/5

David Brent Life on the road.

Loved the office probably one of my favourite series so i watched this with slight hesitation after hearing none of the other office cast were in it, what a surprise i loved it! Always felt sorry for Brent as the guy no one likes but the ending was very satisfying and did bring a tear to the eye just seeing him have a beer with friends.

4/5
I watched this the other week too.I enjoyed it ok but I didn't think it was up to Office standard. It had some good bits but oh man, it really depressed me! I feel SO damn sorry for the guy, it's so hard to watch!

Just watched Girl on a Train - 4.5/10. Could have been so much more!

Man, i have a lot of movies pending! Too much gaming this year!

I watched this the other week too.I enjoyed it ok but I didn't think it was up to Office standard. It had some good bits but oh man, it really depressed me! I feel SO damn sorry for the guy, it's so hard to watch!
Nowhere the Office standard i agree though the bits shown in the new office segments brought back the memories.

Just watched Girl on a Train - 4.5/10. Could have been so much more!

Man, i have a lot of movies pending! Too much gaming this year!
The first twenty minutes i thought this was going to be the best zombie movie ever then i lost interest after that!

Women will be your undoing, Pépé

The Magnificent Seven
++ Now, I won't get into the whole "remake" scenario because quite frankly, it isn't. It is a coincidence that the name is the same and there is seven guys and that's kinda it. Oh, they're helping out a town - and that's a technicality, really.
So, again, I don't look at this as a remake and I simply look at this as a western. A purely Hollywood Western.
Moving past all that, the characters, though unoriginal, we're very good across the board. The outside shots were frickin glorious and the final shoot out was quite enjoyable.
While that final voice over's final word made me roll my eyes, I will be watching this again and enjoying it.

Hellloooo Cindy - Scary Movie (2000)
Blair Witch (2016)

A "relatively" strong first 30 minutes (with some questionable acting) turns the mode from creepy to straight out jump scare stupidity, then continues to crank this with a relentless barrage of nonesenical scare scenes, eventually ending with no rhyme or reason. I'll say this though, it is watchable on first viewing, for those horror fans out there. It will pass the time, keep you mildly interested just to see what happens as the pace is ramped but ultimately it's poor. Not for repeat viewing.

1 and a half out of 5.

Patriot's Day (2016)

Solid film centered around the Boston Marathon Bombing. Emotional and intense at times. I wasn't personally affected by the Bombing back when it happened, its weird because I had just visited DC for the first time on a school field trip 3 days before this happened but even after seeing this film I can't imagine what the people there must of went through. The cast is really good especially John Goodman who kills it as Commissioner Ed Davis.