Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

The Shallows (2016)
+

... My wife and I both thought this was terrible, although I didn't think it was terrible to watch. It's a short movie, and we both enjoyed making fun of it throughout it's duration....
I enjoyed it, but me and my wife also joked around about the shark and what Blake should do. I thought that was the fun part, trying to say how to get away from the shark.

I just watched Tallulah

A Netflix original about a drifter who kidnaps a baby from an incompetent mother. It was a good movie (I love Allison Janney in general) and it got me thinking. Similar themes to Gone Baby Gone but a very different movie.

Dead Man's Shoes (2004) - Shane Meadows

- This movie was great and amazing. Awesome revenge thriller with one of the best ending I've seen in a long time. Entertaining and badass. A New movie in my Top 100.

I enjoyed it, but me and my wife also joked around about the shark and what Blake should do. I thought that was the fun part, trying to say how to get away from the shark.
My wife got sick of me saying that it was ok to watch, so she finally wished Blake Lively would drown.

Dead Man's Shoes (2004) - Shane Meadows

- This movie was great and amazing. Awesome revenge thriller with one of the best ending I've seen in a long time. Entertaining and badass. A New movie in my Top 100.
You ma boy Derek . Man where were you in the 10th HOF when i nominated it

Ouija: Origin of Evil (2016)

Vintage Universal logo during the opening credits? Great. Cigarette burns? Interesting touch. Shot on digital? What the f*ck, Flanagan? You make a way for creating a vintage, classic horror feel to the film, which is obviously also set back in the day, costumes and all. And then you shoot on god damn digital? Yeah, go ahead and add some overblown whites and washed out image here and there, but the movie still looks modern and polished, which doesn't go hand in hand with the whole concept here. Shooting on film would've given this the natural, warmly saturated colors and the light film grain to add that extra touch and lift that atmosphere. Bad choice, Flanagan, bad choice...

Also, bowing under to making a studio sequel to an (coming) horror franchise does seem to move Flanagan in a direction I don't like. He seemed to channel Wan more than any actual spirits and the movie seemed campy and silly at times, in (bad) spirit with the original film. And despite going practical, the instances of CG, particularly the "sex doll expression", open mouth and dead stare, just didn't work for me. It was kinda creepy, but also weirdly funny and mostly off-putting. Why not do it simple? Throw some yellowish dirty color on her teeth, dark areas around her eyes and some red contacts or something. BAM, already scarier... because it's real, first and foremost. Same with the demon(s). Someone fell in a bucket of tar, appearently...

A run of the mill, better-than-most modern horror film cliché, which only feels acceptable because of Flanagan I'm sure and people may have loved this because it is a masterpiece next to the original film. But on its own, I see nothing really worth coming for here...

+

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds

Great Tom Hanks flick, The 'Burbs. Even though a lot of people I know like it, I still think it is underrated.

Suspect's Reviews

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Ouija: Origin of Evil (2016)

Vintage Universal logo during the opening credits? Great. Cigarette burns? Interesting touch. Shot on digital? What the f*ck, Flanagan? You make a way for creating a vintage, classic horror feel to the film, which is obviously also set back in the day, costumes and all. And then you shoot on god damn digital? Yeah, go ahead and add some overblown whites and washed out image here and there, but the movie still looks modern and polished, which doesn't go hand in hand with the whole concept here. Shooting on film would've given this the natural, warmly saturated colors and the light film grain to add that extra touch and lift that atmosphere. Bad choice, Flanagan, bad choice...

Also, bowing under to making a studio sequel to an (coming) horror franchise does seem to move Flanagan in a direction I don't like. He seemed to channel Wan more than any actual spirits and the movie seemed campy and silly at times, in (bad) spirit with the original film. And despite going practical, the instances of CG, particularly the "sex doll expression", open mouth and dead stare, just didn't work for me. It was kinda creepy, but also weirdly funny and mostly off-putting. Why not do it simple? Throw some yellowish dirty color on her teeth, dark areas around her eyes and some red contacts or something. BAM, already scarier... because it's real, first and foremost. Same with the demon(s). Someone fell in a bucket of tar, appearently...

A run of the mill, better-than-most modern horror film cliché, which only feels acceptable because of Flanagan I'm sure and people may have loved this because it is a masterpiece next to the original film. But on its own, I see nothing really worth coming for here...

+

Really odd to fault the film for going digital, I get that it would have been better in film, but come on.

I really dug this one, maybe I had low expectations, but It's better than the rating you gave it.

You mean me? Kei's cousin?

He seems to just watch what he likes, though. Nothing wrong with that.