Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

FOOTLOOSE
(1984)

Re-watch. Classic 80's flick that packs heart, grit, an awesome original soundtrack and dance choreography, and excellent performances by the entire cast. Sure it's cheesy and unrealistic (a town where music and dancing is banned), but it's still great fun to watch 36 years on.
“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

Pushover (1954)

Starring the inestimable Fred MacMurray, Kim Novak in her first lead role, and likeable Philip Carey, this is a fascinating noir/suspense film that IMO is one of the best of the 1950s style noirs.

Director Richard Quine, who was freshly off the capable noir Drive a Crooked Road, not only directed several future Novak films, but he also married her. His direction here was first rate, although the plotting --from the screenplay by Roy Huggins (Maverick, Rockford Files)-- was a little uneven.

10 years after the great Double Indemnity MacMurray was featured in this similar role: good guy tempted by a femme fatale gets involved in a crime, and is punished for it. But the dialogue was not quite as snappy, despite some quotable lines, and the forbidden but lustful attraction between MacMurray and Novak was not as powerful as the earlier film. OTOH the film did not have the benefit of Raymond Chandler's wonderful dialogue.

Still this is a fine film and a must-see for noir fans. It's available on YouTube.

Doc's rating: 7/10

Yes teen titans go to movie is realy funny. I saw it with my kids and i loved it as much as them...

I hope they didn't ask you 'The question' in the end.
I thought that was hilarious, but then again I am not a parent.

Have you ever watched the show?

Nope. I was introduced to Raven and the Stargirl through this movie. But I looked up the characters later, and apparently they made radical changes to the series. Also, the titans that show up post credits are from the series, if I am not wrong.

Nope. I was introduced to Raven and the Stargirl through this movie. But I looked up the characters later, and apparently they made radical changes to the series. Also, the titans that show up post credits are from the series, if I am not wrong.
Gotcha. I've seen a few episodes of Teen Titans Go and enjoyed them. If you liked the film you might check it out.

Sunrise (1927, F. W. Murnau)

A simple but timeless story about the transformational power of love, beautifully shot and very much ahead of its time both visually and sonically. The ending is so unapologetically sentimental in its melodrama you'd think it would make me cringe at least slightly - but it never does. In fact, it gets me every time I watch it. The magic of cinema, pure and simple.

Mute Witness (1994)

Really interesting premise of a make-up artist that mistakenly comes across a Snuff film being made where she was just working. A bit of mystery and thriller but the chases just let it into slightly slapstick area unfortunately.
Ok though.

Terrorvision 1986

A family's new satellite starts receiving signals from another planet, and soon it becomes the passageway to an alien world

More comedy than a sci fi/horror, this certainly has its own thing going on and is utterly bonkers, I maybe found it a bit too silly at times

Blood Diner 1987

Two brothers are entrusted by their uncle to uphold the ritualistic cannibalism of the ancient cult of Sheetar. In order to do so, they have to prepare a feast of sacrifice for the resurrection of their goddess.

I didn't think it would be possible to up the wackiness of Terrorvision so soon but this just builds to a crescendo of utter beautiful insanity, cant believe I missed out on this one, funny..

+

Horse Girl, 2020

I'm very torn on this film, and I'll have to think it over.

Sarah is a young woman who works as a clerk in a crafting store, goes religiously to her Zumba classes, and shares an apartment with a roommate. While Sarah is an introvert and obviously quirky, her birthday proves to be an inciting incident for her sense of reality to begin to crumble.

If you've seen The Swimmer, that's the kind of film this is. After a seemingly innocuous beginning, we slowly start to realize what the main character has lost and how it has truly impacted them.

Alison Brie, who stars as Sarah and also co-wrote the film, is a powerful center to the film. Sarah is such a well-realized character that when things begin to go off the rails, we still feel Sarah's heart at the core of the story. The film does a good job of both the little moments (such as Sarah chickening out on inviting a Zumba friend out for drinks on her birthday) and the more surreal ones (such as Sarah's vivid dreams of alien abduction).

I guess I should say that my one sense of reservation about the film was that at times there was humor being taken from Sarah's obvious mental health issues. Now, it's a really tricky line to walk here, because the film was based on personal experiences from Brie's life and who is to say that someone isn't allowed to laugh at their own experiences? I have a very negative reaction to characters with mental illness being used as quirky comic relief. While I don't think that was the intention of the film, there were certain sequences that played that way to me.

But the flip side of this is that the film offers a very thorough and painful look at someone whose grief and depression has reached a point where they actually begin to break with reality. Sarah takes extreme refuge in an old 90s supernatural TV show. She depends painfully on her horse, Willow, that she's long since sold to another couple who barely tolerate Sarah's constant, unwelcome visits. While I didn't entirely approve of the reactions of anyone in Sarah's life, I did understand their point of view and their actions. The "bad guy" in this movie isn't a mean roommate or an unsympathetic boss, it's the pain in Sarah's life that no one is able to help her resolve.

This movie definitely kept me on my toes. The performances were good, and the themes were clearly deeply personal. I need to think on it a bit more, but I'd recommend it.