Gary Johnson for President

Tools    

I been living in the US for a few years now and I am really worried about this present election but also hopeful that we might have a decent guy for the US presidential office if things turn out well: Gary Johnson.

Gary Johnson is not well known among the general public but already he has polled 7-10% and his duo for president and vice president is the one with the greatest experience in executive positions: Johnson and Weld each served as governors for 8 years (when they were with the Republican Party).

Given that major party candidates are hated by most people I would believe that Johnson could win the election with additional exposure: he would first win enough votes in some states to deny the majority of delegates to Clinton and Trump and in this case the congress votes and Johnson would probably be preferred by a republican dominated congress over Hillary (nobody would vote for Trump).

The Good The Bad and the Interesting
Before that can happen, he would need to poll at 15% to get in the main debates, which will give him the exposure. I'm rooting for the guy, if there was ever an election for a third party candidate, this would be the one. The Democrats and Republicans alike are running the most disliked candidates in the history of their party. Every time they open their mouths, more people find them unfavorable, Clinton can't stop lying and Trump can't stop insulting groups within this very nation.

Indeed. The main problem now is taking off to get to 15% in the polls. The main parties did that regulation of 15% just to block minor parties from having a shoot at the elections since they know they don't have the money to publicize the candidates enough for most voters to even be aware of them, automatically locking the US political system into a duopoly.

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”
He was on Real Talk with Bill Maher this past week. He hasn't had edibles in 8 weeks.

The Good The Bad and the Interesting
. The main parties did that regulation of 15% just to block minor parties from having a shoot at the elections since they know they don't have the money to publicize the candidates enough for most voters to even be aware of them...
I couldn't agree with you more. 15% is too high of an expectation for a 3rd party candidate. I think the number should be dropped to 5%, that might sound small, but 5% of the polling is still quite a lot of Americans who feel strongly about said candidate. They should be allowed to spread their message to the masses.

What's interesting is that Johnson has been taking more supporters from Clinton than Trump. I suppose that could be because of the socially liberal stance of William Weld and Gary Johnson. It's unbelievable to me that they were advocating gay marriage in the early 90's! Many liberals weren't even gutsy enough to declare rights for the LGBTQ community in the early 90's. They were quite ahead of their time.

A system of cells interlinked
I voted for Johnson in the last election, and will vote for him again in this election.

Didn't know you were a libertarian too Sendai. I guess Sci Fi fans and Libertarians tend to overlap (I heard a post in a blog about that, they though the reasons included the focus on changing society and being forward looking).

Must be doin sumthin right
It's crazy that he's the best the Libertarian party could do in a year where there are potentially millions of disenchanted voters to swing. I tried watching one of their primary debates and it was just embarrassing public access TV theater. Johnson's a limp noodle as a politician and he fumbles even bread and butter talking points with his ideological inconsistencies. Clinton/Trump would pull his pants down if he ever got on a stage with them

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Failing in other fields, including manga and film, Guap decides to dabble in the politics.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

I am into politics for quite a long time: since 2005-2006 I have been heavily engaged and in 2007 I have been involved with the foundation of a political party in Brazil.

Though I don't actually understand this mocking behavior.

Politicians change their stance when it's popular.
Sure that's why there are have universal gun background checks (87% support).

Politicians ONLY change their stance on popularity during an election year or when it will be beneficial to themselves. VERY few change based on the opinions of the public whom they are elected to represent.

I was told about it my a friend (weeman) in real life, but when you watch the actual video it is indeed painful, one of those do I laugh or cry moments. In general I think its often refreshing to see someone willing it admit mistakes and confess to not having a complete knowledge of all issues, but this seems like a very odd one for someone of such a position to mess up on. He doesn't come across much better here

Yeah, i see what you mean. I remember him from the 2012 Republican debates at the time i just found him really dull and he seemed to get very little attention from the moderators. I don't even remember any of his ideas or positions i just remember him constantly talking about how great his record was as a Governor. If i remember right he dropped out pretty quickly and got the Libertarian nomination then too. In that second video he seems really spaced out and he constantly blinks which is so annoying haha.

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”
I don't see an independent ever having a chance. Perot seemed like the most viable and he was more like Republican 1b. if memory serves. The independents usually suffer from a major lack of personality, which we have seen to be a driving force in campaigns nowadays.

A vote for an independent this year is a vote for Trump.