Hombre The Gorilla Killed AT Cincy Zoo.

Tools    

I have researched this topic a good while and I welcome all opinions on this. All these so called zoo experts say it was the right call too protect the Boy. It was said the boys injuries were created by the fall into the Gorilla enclosure and he was drowning and The Gorilla Pulled him from the water.

It was said the Gorilla handled him like a small baby or rather a mother would. People forget that Gorillas and primates are social animals and more often then not the child was fortunate too fall in that inclosure for most other animals would have done killed the boy.

It was more then clear that the Gorilla meant no harm and should have been drugged. You can shoot bullets how about fast working drugs and you save two lives.
But no kill the Gorilla because he might do. Killing is what men is good at to solve animal problems.
I myself like Zoos cause its a chance too see animals you never would see. But today I just am thinking no one cares about the animal and In my view they should shoot the parents with dart guns and put them in a cage because this should not have happened.

If the gorilla pulled the boy from the water, and was cradling him, they should have tried to get the boy first without shooting anything. You cant blame the parents as they had to have been hysterical. This has happened more than it should have.

Actually the dad was upset and screamed and thats what alerted the Gorilla there was a boy. People have said the mother was very calm and was never as upset as the people of the zoo were.

I have no idea because I wasn't there. The video of the gorilla running away with the kid through the water looks a bit scary/troubling. I'm not sure what that gorilla was doing. I wish the gorilla hadn't been killed. That's the first time I've heard the gorilla was saving the kid from drowning.

Some eyewitnesses said the kid was definitely in danger. He might have been. The zoo seems to think he was. They don't regret their decision.

They shouldn't make it easy for people to enter the gorillas' habitat if killing the gorilla to save somebody is the only option.

If the gorilla pulled the boy from the water, and was cradling him, they should have tried to get the boy first without shooting anything. You cant blame the parents as they had to have been hysterical. This has happened more than it should have.
Well you can blame the parents for not keeping an eye on their kid. I sincerely hope that some charges are brought against them.

If there's a dart gun with a tranquilizer right there, and you know for a fact it's full-proof and instantaneous, sure, use that. Otherwise, you play it safe and give absolute priority to the child's life no matter what kind of behavior the animal is exhibiting.

As for the parents, it depends on context, but I will say that if you prosecute any parent who lets their child get away from them occasionally, you'd have to charge literally every parent.

I have no idea because I wasn't there. The video of the gorilla running away with the kid through the water looks a bit scary/troubling. I'm not sure what that gorilla was doing. I wish the gorilla hadn't been killed. That's the first time I've heard the gorilla was saving the kid from drowning.

Some eyewitnesses said the kid was definitely in danger. He might have been. The zoo seems to think he was. They don't regret their decision.

They shouldn't make it easy for people to enter the gorillas' habitat if killing the gorilla to save somebody is the only option.
The boy had already Been inside enclosure and was in the water face down in the video. The gorilla carried it around it looked like so it wouldnt wander to dangerous areas. And people who were screaming and commenting just probably mistook hombre movements as dangerous because people panic around animals when likely the people were scaring the gorilla.

If there's a dart gun with a tranquilizer right there, and you know for a fact it's full-proof and instantaneous, sure, use that. Otherwise, you play it safe and give absolute priority to the child's life no matter what kind of behavior the animal is exhibiting.

As for the parents, it depends on context, but I will say that if you prosecute any parent who lets their child get away from them occasionally, you'd have to charge literally every parent.
^^Basically this^^

How did the child get into the enclosure? Was that any fault of the zoo?

Priority one in all zoo security is to have non lethal dart rounds in case you need too move animals or animals get out. I checked this out the zoo rule book for USA clarifies dart guns on hand.real guns are suposse to be last option.

(havent seen the video)
why wasnt the gorilla shot with a tranquilizer?????!!!!!!
there should be,and i assume there are,rules and procedures to follow when something like this happens,i cant believe that just shooting it is what they`re teaching. i dont care what animal it is.tranquilizer.
Also,yes the parents..mistakes happen but just how do you loose your child into a gorilla era of a zoo?? like really?

anywho,zoos dont care about animals,just the money they make from keeping them locked up and miserable. if you care about animals dont visit zoos.

They said the tranquilizer gun doesn't act fast enough. It takes a few minutes for the gorilla to pass out. They couldn't wait that long.

^^Basically this^^

How did the child get into the enclosure? Was that any fault of the zoo?
if the child was able to get in there then im guessing they can argue that its the zoos fault (even though he should have been under his parents supervision.) im guessing thats part of why they shot it,they were scared of a lawsuit.

SC answered before I could, but that was going to be my guess. And that's assuming getting shot with a dart doesn't cause the gorilla to act violently or unpredictably before it's subdued, anyway.

You just don't take chances with this. It's a child. You simply cannot increase the odds of a child being killed in front of their own parents, even if the odds are just going from 5% to 10%, to save an animal's life.

There's been a lot of people comment on this over the web...

The Gorilla was getting agitated at the kid's presence. Injured or not, the kid didn't belong there, and the Alpha Male was getting annoyed at a strange presence around his family.
The Zoo staff were reading his body language, and realised that at any moment he could simply rip the kid apart.

What made it worse, was the crowd. They were all screaming and crying out.
From a Gorilla's point of view, there is an Ape in his territory, surrounded by the same type of Ape that are all screaming and hooting and hollering.
From the Gorilla's point of view, the boy, surrounded by his Kin, all hooting and hollering, the boy was a threat.

Also, the problem with tranquilizers is they aren't instant. Shooting the Gorilla with a dart would have pissed him off even more for 15-20 minutes before it took any effect and would have endangered the boy even more.

The Zoo staff had to kill him. They had no choice.

My own point of view on this after reviewing the evidence:
The only outcome from this, is a lawsuit against the parents. A kid so young, unwatched and unchecked in a public place, surrounded by potential dangers... the parents are to blame for the death of a member of an endangered species.
That Gorilla group has been left without an Alpha Male, which will cause unrest and stress to the group, and maybe even destroy their family dynamic.

You see, when an Alpha Male dies or is replaced, it is always down to another Male. The group is never without leadership.
Having the Alpha just ripped away with no natural replacement, means they are in limbo, and it will cause huge unrest within the group.

The survival of an entire group of endangered animals is now hanging in the balance, all because two dipsh*ts can't keep an eye on their own child.

They said the tranquilizer gun doesn't act fast enough. It takes a few minutes for the gorilla to pass out. They couldn't wait that long.

i find that very odd,they should have something strong enough in case of emergencies. obviously the reason why thats not used regulary is that is potentially dangerous for the animals but if shoting it is the only other way,then i dont see the problem.

Priority one in all zoo security is to have non lethal dart rounds in case you need too move animals or animals get out. I checked this out the zoo rule book for USA clarifies dart guns on hand.real guns are suposse to be last option.
This was an emergency situation with a child in danger. A decision had to be made and fast. Tranquilizers take several minutes to take effect, especially since they would be shot into a muscle, which has a much slower absorption rate than, say an IV injection.

I don't blame the zookeepers for what happened. I blame the parents who failed to keep their child safe in a public place. A child that young should never have been allowed to leave his parents' sight. It's too easy for a kid to run off, get hurt, get lost, or worse.

i find that very odd,they should have something strong enough in case of emergencies. obviously the reason why thats not used regulary is that is potentially dangerous for the animals but if shoting it is the only other way,then i dont see the problem.
I'd be surprised if there was even such a thing as a perfectly reliably, instantaneous tranquilizer that didn't also irreparably harm the animal.

ive seen it on zoo documentaries before,when theres a fight between tribe members,they were shot and instantly fell.
however im guessing it could be dangerous for their hearts as its pretty powerful-so its a very much last last way out.

but that wasnt gorillas though. anyway im not gonna claim to be an expert i have no idea. the whole situation is just so unnecessary