Hombre The Gorilla Killed AT Cincy Zoo.

Tools    

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
James Holmes could have had the death penalty.

What happened was one STUPID juror was firmly against the death penalty and would not budge. So they had to sentence him to life in prison instead of death.

That's strange. Usually they won't seat someone on the jury of a death penalty case if they are so set against the death penalty that they won't even consider it.

Well, I dunno. That's the story I heard and saw. It's on the internet.

Being against the death penalty is trendy and that was a huge case. They let him go to say to the world, "Let's all be against the death penalty! It's wrong for killers to die!"

I don't have any kids, but if I did, I'm sure that I would pay more attention to them if they were trying to get into the gorilla exhibit at the zoo.
Now I understand your opinion more. Get a four year old kid and take them to an exciting place like the zoo and see how perfect you are.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Now I understand your opinion more. Get a four year old kid and take them to an exciting place like the zoo and see how perfect you are.
I babysat for kids for many years when I was younger, and I have two nieces, and I've taken all of the kids to a lot of fun and exciting places. I've always made it their day, not mine, and I paid full attention to the kids at all times.

This mother wasn't just distracted for a few seconds. According to witnesses, she was distracted for several minutes, while the child told her that he wanted to go in and play with the gorilla. That should have been her first clue to keep a better watch on him than normal.

Zookeeper Who Raised Harambe from Birth: 'He Was Never Aggressive or Mean to People'

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/zoo...n0e?li=BBnbfcL

The Texas zookeeper who raised Harambe, the 17-year-old western lowland gorilla who was shot dead at the Cincinnati Zoo on Saturday is mourning the loss of the animal he remembers as "never aggressive or mean."

Jerry Stones, the facilities director for the Gladys Porter Zoo in Brownsville, Texas, raised Harambe from the time he was three weeks old.

"When he was little his mama gave up on him at 21 days old," Stones tells PEOPLE. "I ended up taking him home that night and many nights after that. I'd feed him and change his diapers just like you would a human baby."

From his birth, Stones says Harambe was a "character" and "just a neat little guy to be around."

"He was very playful and always running around with the others," he says of Harambe's time with the other gorillas in his enclosure. When it came to interacting with humans, Stones says "He was never aggressive or mean to people."

While Harambe didn’t appear aggressive, Stones says he stopped venturing into his enclosure when the gorilla was about 7 years old. By the time a gorilla reaches that age, he explains, their size and weight can make them unsafe to engage with.

"The deal is they play rough. Once they get to over 100 pounds, if they smack your legs out from underneath you or grab you by the leg and drag you around they're just playing but you will get hurt," he says. "So you stop going in their enclosures because if they play rough and you get hurt, that would be your fault."

Stones says he can't comment on the zoo's decision to shoot Harambe after he grabbed a 4-year-old boy who had slipped into the gorilla enclosure, but admits that he was "devastated" to learn the news.

"It's hard to believe he's gone," he says. "I know its crazy to think somebody would be that touched by these animals but they're so so special."

Stones believes gorillas to be highly intelligent, but he disagrees with some experts' suggestions that the gorillas remaining at the Cincinnati Zoo could face depression following their loss.

"They'll handle it just fine," he says. "I've been around gorillas that have had losses in their troupe and they stay quiet for a few days but they're okay."

Stones cautions against ascribing too many human characteristics or feelings to the animals. "They do some things that are human-like but they aren't human," he explains. "They're very intelligent but we need to let them be gorillas."

Harambe was sent to the Cincinnati Zoo in September 2014 in the hopes that he would eventually breed with the female gorillas there. Western lowland gorillas are critically endangered in the wild and there are just 765 gorillas like Harambe living in zoos worldwide.

After Harambe was shot and killed, reproductive biologists extracted viable sperm from the mammal for use in programs like artificial insemination and genetic research. "There's a future," zoo director Thane Maynard said during a press conference Monday. "It's not the end of his gene pool."

The staff of the Gladys Porter Zoo is also doing its part to ensure that the beloved gorilla's legacy carries on. The zoo set up the Harambe Fund to support gorilla research and conservation efforts in Africa.

"Harambe means 'pull together' in Swahili and this is the chance for everyone to pull together and help these animals," Stones says. "All we can do is try to take his terrible, terrible death and turn it around by giving his family a chance at a future."

That's the barrier.

Just read through the thread. My take-away is: I'm not surprised Rodent was put on a leash as a kid.

Zookeeper Who Raised Harambe from Birth: 'He Was Never Aggressive or Mean to People'

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/zoo...n0e?li=BBnbfcL

The Texas zookeeper who raised Harambe, the 17-year-old western lowland gorilla who was shot dead at the Cincinnati Zoo on Saturday is mourning the loss of the animal he remembers as "never aggressive or mean."

Jerry Stones, the facilities director for the Gladys Porter Zoo in Brownsville, Texas, raised Harambe from the time he was three weeks old.

"When he was little his mama gave up on him at 21 days old," Stones tells PEOPLE. "I ended up taking him home that night and many nights after that. I'd feed him and change his diapers just like you would a human baby."

From his birth, Stones says Harambe was a "character" and "just a neat little guy to be around."

"He was very playful and always running around with the others," he says of Harambe's time with the other gorillas in his enclosure. When it came to interacting with humans, Stones says "He was never aggressive or mean to people."

While Harambe didn’t appear aggressive, Stones says he stopped venturing into his enclosure when the gorilla was about 7 years old. By the time a gorilla reaches that age, he explains, their size and weight can make them unsafe to engage with.

"The deal is they play rough. Once they get to over 100 pounds, if they smack your legs out from underneath you or grab you by the leg and drag you around they're just playing but you will get hurt," he says. "So you stop going in their enclosures because if they play rough and you get hurt, that would be your fault."

Stones says he can't comment on the zoo's decision to shoot Harambe after he grabbed a 4-year-old boy who had slipped into the gorilla enclosure, but admits that he was "devastated" to learn the news.

"It's hard to believe he's gone," he says. "I know its crazy to think somebody would be that touched by these animals but they're so so special."

Stones believes gorillas to be highly intelligent, but he disagrees with some experts' suggestions that the gorillas remaining at the Cincinnati Zoo could face depression following their loss.

"They'll handle it just fine," he says. "I've been around gorillas that have had losses in their troupe and they stay quiet for a few days but they're okay."

Stones cautions against ascribing too many human characteristics or feelings to the animals. "They do some things that are human-like but they aren't human," he explains. "They're very intelligent but we need to let them be gorillas."

Harambe was sent to the Cincinnati Zoo in September 2014 in the hopes that he would eventually breed with the female gorillas there. Western lowland gorillas are critically endangered in the wild and there are just 765 gorillas like Harambe living in zoos worldwide.

After Harambe was shot and killed, reproductive biologists extracted viable sperm from the mammal for use in programs like artificial insemination and genetic research. "There's a future," zoo director Thane Maynard said during a press conference Monday. "It's not the end of his gene pool."

The staff of the Gladys Porter Zoo is also doing its part to ensure that the beloved gorilla's legacy carries on. The zoo set up the Harambe Fund to support gorilla research and conservation efforts in Africa.

"Harambe means 'pull together' in Swahili and this is the chance for everyone to pull together and help these animals," Stones says. "All we can do is try to take his terrible, terrible death and turn it around by giving his family a chance at a future."
That was an amazing article. This is what I was meaning by handler. Its just that his handler was from Texas and he was in Cincy. No wonder the Gorilla was likely bored and saw the kid as a new buddy or maybe even a toy.
BTW i think its disgusting taking the sperm from a dead gorilla. I obviously dont want the species to die off but really let the poor animal alone.

The parents may have had some fault, I don't know. Not the issue though, if the experts said (and have agreed) that the gorilla needed to be shot then that's that. I'm frankly surprised that this is as big of news as it is, seems pretty clear that a child's life is more important than a primates

The parents may have had some fault, I don't know. Not the issue though, if the experts said (and have agreed) that the gorilla needed to be shot then that's that. I'm frankly surprised that this is as big of news as it is, seems pretty clear that a child's life is more important than a primates
I agree the childs safety was paramount. I just feel after the kid fell in they should have tried to just go get the kid from him rather than just shoot him. If they did, and he responded aggresively, then they did what they had to.

BTW i think its disgusting taking the sperm from a dead gorilla. I obviously dont want the species to die off but really let the poor animal alone.
It's a critically endangered species with a slow reproductive rate. They need to keep the gene pool as varied as they can. I'm glad they decided to salvage what they could.

I saw that earlier. They killed him and then raped him.