Raised by Wolves (Ridley Scott, HBO)

Tools    

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
So I guess I'll start this. Everything I'm reading says it's...not that good. But also weird, and sometimes I love weird (even weird bad) things. Now that everyone's finished...still think it's worth it?

Dude. No. I said go in BLIND!!!

Let go. Of most everything. Go in, and just roll with it. I seriously love this series.

That was actually VERY VERY helpful in explaining the show and so much of its unexplained weirdness. Now, if only HALF of that was actually IN the show. One ought not need to watch a half hour explanatory piece to watch a fictional TV series.

Thanks for the link.

I'm totally OK with it not being in the series. Throws me back to my English lit class where all the poems referenced other poetry without directly noting it. That excites me even more for this stuff!

And I will resist the urge to try to make sense of it.

First 5 minutes i was totally w.t.f.? But when Mother gets going, it was breathtaking. When episode 2 came up, I decided not to skip the intro credits clip and just listened to the music with the odd sequences playing out before and it all just ...well, it just all made sense to me. Borderline spiritual. I cannot explain my reaction any better. =/

Re: my reply to Austruck earlier, it can be poetry at times. Juat know there are references that go well below the surface. I hope you end up curious enough to dig into them.

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”
Not like there are any other shows to watch.

I can make a Stranger Things comparison, cuz every show with kids gets compared to ST.

And Campion has a great wig and looks like he has hobbit feet while Paul’s hair requires a dedicated stylist. What more do you need. A Helmet Head character? We got that!

Well, I watched two episodes last night. Better than I expected, though I have no idea if it gets worse, or drags in the middle (which would seem normal given the breakneck pace of the first two installments), but I like it enough to continue, for sure.

I dunno if I can even read the thread, though. I skimmed around and saw something about a "prisoner" and realized it must be in the third episode, so I guess I'll have to read it all after I've finished the whole thing.

Definitely weird. But more good than weird.

So far.

KEEP GOING.

And be sure to catalog exactly when you change your mind.

Yes. So that I can have archived proof that there was never any reason TO change one's mind.

Seriously though, that you're (yoda) watching and have more or less enjoyed the first two episode's of weirdness brings a tear of joy to my eye.

*EDIT*
I'll even be open to you postponing the 100 refresh thread if you get the urge to binge this one. Pretty sure I can speak for everyone involved there. GO on. It's the holidays. You deserve it.

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

Just watched the first episode.

What on earth was that?

Well, obviously it's not earth. So.

Really, I'm just jazzed this thread is up to 6 pages and has found new life, so expect a lot of unnecessary commentary from me to keep it alive a bit longer. This may be quite literally all I have to live for so lol. KEEP IT UP!

The Adventure Starts Here!
Saw episode three. Still good-more-than-weird.

Pretty sure those creatures are just the radioactive kids who died.
That's not the worst theory I've heard.

Also, I seem to recall MANY times you've predicted the ending of a TV series or season, and we've all ended up loving YOUR idea better than what really happens.

I predict the same thing will happen here. Come at us, bro. What you got?

Well, either you're misleading me deliberately or I know my guess is wrong, which is lame because I think the guess "solves" every weird quirk about the situation and I'm struggling to think of any other answer that would.

Guess things are gonna get even weirder, which is a strange thing to say about a show with android parents fighting an interplanetary Holy war and farming radioactive potatoes.

Well, either you're misleading me deliberately or I know my guess is wrong, which is lame because I think the guess "solves" every weird quirk about the situation and I'm struggling to think of any other answer that would.

Guess things are gonna get even weirder, which is a strange thing to say about a show with android parents fighting an interplanetary Holy war and farming radioactive potatoes.
Oh you don't even know the half one-sixteenth of it!

Okay, six in now. Obviously they're going a different direction with some of this stuff. Seems like, unless they resort to some real BS narrative trickery, either a ghost or a virtual presence is making itself manifest in physical reality. Weird.

The creatures are still clearly "converted" humans, and the little parkour stranger in the giant bones is the halfway point (too agile, total face and hand coverings). Kinda annoying how nobody in the group stopped to talk more about the earth-shattering realization that there's intelligent life on the planet already, or that they seemingly had their religion's (for lack of a better word) "logo" on their deck of cards. That's just bad storytelling, because it seems obvious they're avoiding having the characters dwell on these facts because they don't want the viewers dwelling on them. Boo.

Still not too bored, though, which was primary concern, so there's that.

Anyway, seems like there must be some kinda loopy/ouroboros/cyclical dealie going on here. ESPECIALLY now that they're suddenly talking so much about the "circle of life" (weirdly absent from the first half of the season, relatively speaking).

Might be something cheeky there where an atheist (and/or android) ends up being the basis for their religion or something, too. I mean, the android looks like a God, and even flies around in a cross pose, and this is basically what Scott did in Prometheus, too.