Bram Stoker's Dracula

→ in
Tools    

this is a great film about a story we all love, we all are intrigued by, and mesmerized.
a truly atmospheric look into vampires and the most notorious of them all.
gary oldman does what he does best, portraying the sadistic villain and speaking of his grotesque look really doesn t do justice to how great this actor portrays and fits the bad guy bill, a bad guy that gives u sympathy and compassion, he makes u feel it deep inside, that s how strong he can influence a character up on to u.
winona ryder has never been sexier as the love interest she just drips sweetness and sexiness in this film like no other film she did act in, love her acting.
the direction here is great, the atmosphere created really makes u feel immersed the world we are facing in this movie.
finally all i can say is, gary oldman is the dracula

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Keanu's horribly bad acting, and notoriously terrible British accent is the only thing that hurts this movie.
Pretty terrible. So was Winona, but I still love the movie.

Pretty terrible. So was Winona, but I still love the movie.
Yeah, it's still a quality film regardless, but with better performances on their parts it could have been even better.

The combination of Coppola's vision and Oldman's acting made it very good.

Yeah, it's still a quality film regardless, but with better performances on their parts it could have been even better.

The combination of Coppola's vision and Oldman's acting made it very good.
nd I specifically remember some standout shots by the DoP. Stunning.

Oh dayum and Oldman. When he was crying I really felt for Dracula

Definitely one of Gary Oldman's best roles.

I saw an interview with Christopher Plummer recently where he said that Gary Oldman was his favourite Dracula – he'd obviously seen Frank Langella's stage performance as well and liked him.

Trying to find the gorgeous scene of him walking up the staircase with his cape flowing behind him. Alas.

Here's another scene

I was watching this the other day with the commentary on... apparently Oldman had some input on a few scenes, like where Dracula was hanging upside down in the form of a bat, and being a bat creature in other scenes...

Then when Coppola said "We'll get the makeup team to do some measurements for a rubber bat costume", Oldman's face dropped.
Coppola basically said "Well it was your idea, man" and Oldman then agreed to be put in a rubber outfit

One thing I love about the film though, is the sets and photography.
They filmed it as if it was a stage play and in some scenes like when Dracula's eyes appear in the sky outside the train, they used rear-projection so it was all in-camera.

I was watching this the other day with the commentary on... apparently Oldman had some input on a few scenes, like where Dracula was hanging upside down in the form of a bat, and being a bat creature in other scenes...

Then when Coppola said "We'll get the makeup team to do some measurements for a rubber bat costume", Oldman's face dropped.
Coppola basically said "Well it was your idea, man" and Oldman then agreed to be put in a rubber outfit
I remember Oldman putting his foot down about the scene where he ultimately was in the man-bat outfit. Apparently he was just going to be in his normal human form and Oldman disputed that the heroes would be scared of him like that. So he got to be the monster and I think he was right. Definitely makes more of the line "Look what your God has done to me".

Seems remiss that we haven't mentioned the music by Wojciech Kilar. Talk about tailor-made.

Seems remiss that we haven't mentioned the music by Wojciech Kilar. Talk about tailor-made.
I was doing karate late one night in an historic cemetery near where I lived with a sparring partner from the dojo. Before we started training he gave me a spliff and totally messed me up; had to basically carry me home. My husband, then boyfriend, was having a boys' night so I sat at home rewatching this. OMG most terrifying night of my life. I tried to crawl to the phone to ring boyfriend to come and get me but unfortunately for me I couldnt even move enough to get the remote control and turn it off. Havent smoked since.

I was doing karate late one night in an historic cemetery near where I lived with a sparring partner from the dojo. Before we started training he gave me a spliff and totally messed me up; had to basically carry me home. My husband, then boyfriend, was having a boys' night so I sat at home rewatching this. OMG most terrifying night of my life. I tried to crawl to the phone to ring boyfriend to come and get me but unfortunately for me I couldnt even move enough to get the remote control and turn it off. Havent smoked since.
Yeah there would be films I'd want to avoid in similar circumstances .

Yeah there would be films I'd want to avoid in similar circumstances .
My mate just put me on the lounge, turned on the tv and went home to his wife before checking what movie was on. He didnt know I couldnt reach the remote. It was funny in retrospect, because I asked him to turn the lights off. LOL laughing now remembering it.

My mate just put me on the lounge, turned on the tv and went home to his wife before checking what movie was on. He didnt know I couldnt reach the remote. It was funny in retrospect, because I asked him to turn the lights off. LOL laughing now remembering it.
I've just got visions of you being carried everywhere now .

I've just got visions of you being carried everywhere now .
LOL. No, I dont smoke evil weed these days. Those days are long gone.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
talking about @Dani8's hazy days, Bram Stoker's Dracula was ALWAYS ideal for being high to. The music, the designs and camera work and, migod, Oldman's performance as Dracula!
Terrifying, yes, but so utter glorious when it first came out and I'd puff beforehand.

Keanu's horribly bad acting, and notoriously terrible British accent is the only thing that hurts this movie.
Same here, and it proved distracting for me. There were a bunch of British actors that could have played Jonathan Harker, but nooo, they had to go for Keanu Reeves. If they wanted an American who could do a British accent, they could have chosen Johnny Depp.

I was wondering last night who could have played certain parts instead.