Meatwadsprite's Slow Review Thread

→ in
Tools    

It's Sedai's #10 now :O

Now it's time for more ....

Movies I Couldn't Even Watch to the End

Akira and Paprika

I have yet to see an anime movie that I could actually watch the whole thing. Both of these are just another two examples of well animated , but incredibly boring animes. I'm sure many can agree when I say - the most important part of a movie , is it's story. Neither of these movies have 1/8 amount of effort as the animation.

The Aviator

This movie had everything going for it - Scorsese , Dicaprio , and some really amazing shots. Everything is strong except the story - Dicaprio's character has nothing to keep him interesting. After it seemed the movie exhausted the few points of entertainment it could squeeze out of the visuals and Dicaprio's acting - it was basically like watching a blank screen.

Police Story 3 : Supercop

I really enjoyed the original Police Story because of the cool action scenes and stunts. This movie , has terrible action scenes - and nothing to redeem itself with.

Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance

Before he directed one of the best films of all time Oldboy , Chan Wook Park decided to stretch a 40 minute movie - into two hours of over extended shots of walking and other boring activities.

I actually saw the entire movie once before though and now it just bores me to tears.

Welcome to the human race...
I have just one question - what exactly is so boring about the story in Akira?

Akira is a movie that rewards on multiple viewings. I'd recommend three viewings to get a decent understanding of it, but seeing as you can't manage to finish one (so you claim) I guess you won't.

Besides, now I wonder what you'd think of Ghost in the Shell.

Akira and Paprika

I have yet to see an anime movie that I could actually watch the whole thing. Both of these are just another two examples of well animated , but incredibly boring animes. I'm sure many can agree when I say - the most important part of a movie , is it's story. Neither of these movies have 1/8 amount of effort as the animation.

Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance

Before he directed one of the best films of all time Oldboy , Chan Wook Park decided to stretch a 40 minute movie - into two hours of over extended shots of walking and other boring activities.

I actually saw the entire movie once before though and now it just bores me to tears.
Believe it or not, i kinda empathise with you.
Akira is long with not that much plot development, at least you appreciate the animation. Try Afro Samurai, it's 5 x 20min movies, and epic.
As for Mr Vengeance I had a similar trouble watching it all way through first few times but gave it another chance after loving Oldboy and in a few ways it is a better film.

A system of cells interlinked
I actually prefer Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance over Oldboy. That said, if I was Meatwad's age, I think I would certainly prefer Oldboy.

Welcome to the human race...
You want plot development in Akira, read all thirty-six volumes of the manga.

Also, check out Ninja Scroll, it might be more up your alley.

Where's the love for Crying Freeman? That one has naughty bits in it.

Se7en (3 views)

This mystery/suspense/thriller delivers a great story that isn't destroyed by it's first viewing. It's gritty and dark presentation gives it the unique look other films have tried to imitate and it's themes are even darker than the visuals.

Two detectives (Morgan Freeman and Brad Pitt) start to investigate a serial killer who tries to teach through his killings about the seven deadly sins. Coincidentally these are the last seven days of Morgan Freeman's career as a detective before he retires and leaves this city he has grown to hate. Brad Pitt's character is also transfered to Freeman's area , right at the start of these killings - which leads to them becoming partners in solving this.

Now as far as movies with bleak messages and dark story telling - this one takes the cake. It's not something that takes away from the movie , but one of it's best features. The movie is at the core a very evil film. It doesn't offer any sort of happy conclusions or inspiring messages - it's message , is the one the killer portrays : the world is horrible place. I'm sure many of you can agree with me the world isn't a horrible place , but this film captures you in it's atmosphere - where you could definitely agree the world viewed in this film is a horrible place.

David Fincher has his reputation for being the master of dirty/dark visuals and this movie rarely leaves the color palette of black , gray , and brown. The look here is composed of many dark areas , filled with lights that aren't very bright. The whole movie stays in the same look and great camera work ensures this films look as classic.

This is one of the best mystery movies out there and the only horror movie I enjoy.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I loved Ninja Scroll.

Great film to introduce people to ANIME.

Suspect's Reviews

I am actually looking forward to it. I am in a mood today to watch some of these crazy deaths! Well, I am off to head home and watch a couple flicks.

Zodiac (3 views)

David Fincher is one of those directors who I'm always looking forward to seeing another movie from. Overlooking Alien 3 which Fincher himself isn't proud of , his debut was Se7en. A very impressive start to his mixed overall career so far. Fight Club is great and then you got The Game and Panic Room - both which are fun to watch the first time with no reason to see them again. Zodiac is a huge jump for Fincher. It's a film much bigger and better than anything he's done before - hopefully the upcoming Curious Case of Benjamin Button can live up to this.

This is an epic three hour mystery/crime/drama based on real events. The story rotates around the Zodiac killings during the 70's and the people they affected. This is something the film does very well , it's focus is on the Zodiac killer - his identity is what the film drives the watcher to be waiting for. As time passes in the movie (which takes place over the course of more than 9 years) you see the characters moving on with their lives - especially my favorite character Paul Avery played by Robert Downey Jr.

The three main actors Jake Gyllenhaal , Mark Ruffalo , and again Robert Downey Jr. are brilliant in this. It's the best work any of them as done. Not to say that anyone in the whole movie was out of place or ever unrealistic at any time. John Carroll Lynch plays a very nerve racking role as the obvious Zodiac suspect. This brings up an interesting question , who actually plays the Zodiac in the killings they show ? It's three different actors , John Carroll Lynch never plays the Zodiac in any killing.

The story works out as very complex drama and a deep mystery that sucks me in every time I watch. Now lets talk about visuals. This is a huge change from the dark and dirty looks that you would expect from Fincher and it's an amazing look. Occasionally you get these gigantic breathtaking shots of cities and other locations - one amazing moment where you see the Transamerica Pyramid being built from the ground up. The textures seen in the cars , restaurants , and other locations in the movie also make up for the films unique look. I was born in 1991 , but this movie takes me back to the most realistic 70's that I know about.

The ending was a sort of let down when I first saw this , but somehow I overlooked one of the final shots in the movie - that really is a brilliant conclusion. I won't give it away , but you'll know it when you see it. One last thing I have to point out is the film's gigantic soundtrack. I love every song you hear in the entire movie and the music is used not only immerse you into a time period , but sound awesome as well.

In case you were wondering what my favorite mystery movie is , this is it.

Ok, Meat, another good one. Your skills are coming along nicely. You don't play the comparison game here, and your formatting is improving bit by bit. I liked this film a whole lot, but I really need to see it again to digest the whole thing. I have just seen it once so far.

I think I may have also missed a few things first time through, so I know I need to sit down and watch it again. Great film, though.

As an aside, I watched Battle Royale again, and I still wasn't over the moon about it. Most of my problems with the film are on the technical side, though, with the editing and poor subtitles. That said, there are some really fun scenes in the film, especially the lighthouse sequence. it IS shot pretty well, and it has some funny stuff in it concerning Kitano, who cracks me up. I can't move my rating up much higher than I had it, but it did move up a bit. I went into it with a less critical eye this time, and had fun for the most part.

Do you know which version of the movie you were watching ? I have three copies of it right now. One of them is the Special Version with these horrible subtitles that aren't only close to impossible to read , but grammatically incorrect and inaccurate to the actual dialogue. The other is the special version with actual readable subtitles , but still many grammatically errors and some inaccuracies from the actual dialogue.

The best one to watch is the Tartan release. It's the original movie without the extra basketball scenes added in and it has very good subtitles.

Bah! I got the ****** release with all the basketball scenes. I ordered it up on Netflix and got whatever they sent. Yeah, some of the subs would flash through so quickly I just blew off what they were saying and tried to translate myself the best I could.

Say, if I were to recommend a flick to you, that on first glace you might roll your eyes at, would you give it a shot? It's a French film, sort of a feel good film, but on a technical level it is really amazing. I have a feeling you might not be over the moon with the story. The story is fantastic, but not something I think you would normally like, which is fine, not everyone likes stuff like this.

Alas, my jaw is always on the floor as far as the film making skill here. I don't know though, you may totally dig the story, and look past the sort of girly stuff in the film. It sure makes you feel good afterwards. Well, me anyway.

Amelie (Juenet, 2001)

There is some stuff in there I think you would love, like the little bits of revenge she gets on mean people etc.

Alas, if after 20 minutes you want to rip it out of the player and use it to dispense toilet paper, so be it.