The Movie Forums Top 100 of All-Time Refresh

→ in
Tools    

A system of cells interlinked
That post is already averaging over one rep per minute.
Many people are saying it's like nothing you have ever seen before. Believe me!

Cause I put the 25 I though were the best but they aren't necessarly my favorites
Once again, I don't understand this kind of thinking at all. My favorite movie is, in my opinion, the best movie.

Once again, I don't understand this kind of thinking at all. My favorite movie is, in my opinion, the best movie.
I commented on this a bit a few pages back. I did feel the urge to try to objectively consider technical merits, performances etc. rather than just pick my favorites, but ended up sort of doing both. I mean, one of my favorite movies to watch just to get a few laughs is 1985's Clue, but by no stretch of the imagination do I think it is one of the bets movies of all time.

Make sense?

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Sneak peek at the results:

I love that this Paul Blart thing is taking off.

Suspect's Reviews

Wow indeed, there's some...well, you'll see.
This could get interesting

I commented on this a bit a few pages back. I did feel the urge to try to objectively consider technical merits, performances etc. rather than just pick my favorites, but ended up sort of doing both. I mean, one of my favorite movies to watch just to get a few laughs is 1985's Clue, but by no stretch of the imagination do I think it is one of the bets movies of all time.

Make sense?
No, it still doesn't. Technical merits and such are secondary to the overall experience. The only thing affecting my evaluation of a film is how much I enjoyed watching it. Of course, I can respect technical innovations or good performances or even legacy but they don't directly affect the "goodness" of the film. Just my opinion, obviously.

No, it still doesn't. Technical merits and such are secondary to the overall experience. The only thing affecting my evaluation of a film is how much I enjoyed watching it. Of course, I can respect technical innovations or good performances or even legacy but they don't directly affect the "goodness" of the film. Just my opinion, obviously.
I meant makes sense when considering how some others would approach the list, not necessarily just you. This approach might explain why stuff like Back to the Future might make someone's list, while a true classic like The Maltese Falcon might not, but I could see why some people might try to take a more clinical, film school type approach. For the record, overall enjoyment factor played a big part in my choices, as well as considering the production and performance stuff I mentioned earlier, with a healthy dose of nostalgia for good measure.

No, it still doesn't. Technical merits and such are secondary to the overall experience. The only thing affecting my evaluation of a film is how much I enjoyed watching it.
What about thinking about the film after watching it, or watching it again? That seems just as much a direct measure of "enjoyment," and it's something that particularly benefits well made films.

I think what people have a weird time coming to terms with is that "enjoyment" encompasses all the less emotional, less personal, less in-the-moment types of appreciation that the supposedly "objectively" greatest films tend to score highly on. Someone who just has a really good time watching a film and rates accordingly is not rating something based on "enjoyment" any more than someone whose enjoyment comes in the form of admiration, even if they have a less overt or personal reaction to it.

It's fine that everyone uses their own measure, but I think it's important to recognize that everyone is actually measuring based on their enjoyment, some people are just prioritizing some types of enjoyment over others. It's not as if one group is picking what they "like" and another group is picking what they're "supposed" to. It's that measuring enjoyment is actually a very broad, complicated thing to do.

This could get interesting
Ways in which the results can be interested (IMO):

1) Wow, I didn't think this film would be on here/be this high.
2) Wow, I didn't think this film would miss the cut/be this low.
3) Wow, some of these vote totals are insanely close.

I will not say which kind of interesting I had in mind when I said that, of course.

If we find out Paul Blart was #1 after the first list was tallied, but then fell behind, can we all agree to claim massive top 100 list fraud and deny the legality of 95 lists?

The thing that people do when voting in these countdowns that I've never understood is leaving off movies that they believe deserve to be on the ballot because they also believe those movies don't stand a chance of making it. I understand the desire to maximize the number of your favorites that do make the list, but leaving off something that should be there because you don't think it'll make it just becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.

I sort of get it, though: if they're sure it's not going to show up on the list...then what did they accomplish? Isn't their ballot specifically to influence the list, and not as a metaphysical, private statement about what they like? It kind of mirrors the logic of whether to vote third party or not.

It's not really how I think about it, but it makes perfect sense to me, too.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
The thing that people do when voting in these countdowns that I've never understood is leaving off movies that they believe deserve to be on the ballot because they also believe those movies don't stand a chance of making it. I understand the desire to maximize the number of your favorites that do make the list, but leaving off something that should be there because you don't think it'll make it just becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.
I did this with one of my "favorite" films. But I do know objectively, it stood absolutely no shot and I would be the only person to vote for it.

The rest I left because I think they are legitimately great movies even if they won't make it.