The Basics of Floor Carpeting

Tools    

"A newbie actually search for something as opposed to merely assuming that a board this old hasn't already touched upon such a par-for-the-course topic as Steven Spielberg? Never!" -A quote from a fellow forum member-

Okay lets hear about all those films that dare dive into the subject of floor carpeting.
First lets explore the subject:
car·pet Pronunciation (kärpt) n.

A thick heavy covering for a floor, usually made of woven wool or synthetic fibers; a rug.
The fabric used for this floor covering.
A surface or surface covering that is similar to a rug: a carpet of leaves and pine needles on the forest floor.

Carpets and area rugs are key decorative and functional elements in a home or business.
Quality installation is critical to the performance of your carpet and will protect your indoor air quality.
New, thicker carpet may prevent doors from swinging clear and free. The installer will remove the doors and re-hang them if possible. If the doors do not clear, arrange to have them trimmed. It is your responsibility to provide an adequate supply of fresh air during installation. Open windows and doors, use an exhaust fan, or operate the fan of your heating or air conditioning system.
In the months following installation, you may notice these characteristics:
SHEDDING—the shedding of loose fibers is normal and should subside with regular vacuuming.
SPROUTING—if a single tuft extends beyond the carpet’s surface, simply clip it off. Do not pull it out.
PILE REVERSAL OR SHADING—a color change that seems to occur in various parts of the carpet, caused by light being reflected in different ways, as pile fibers are bend in different directions. This is not a defect but a characteristic of plush carpet.
WRINKLING—if ripples persist, call your retailer. It may be necessary to professionally re-stretch the carpet.

I would go on and on , the sky is the limit here for excitement and entertainment. I mean I did a search for floor carpeting and BAM!!!! nothing. I figured this was an original thread so it must be a good one.

Now to the part you have been waiting for: discussing the role (heh pun intended) of carpets in films. Well alot of movies portray carpets as a great way to hide and transport a dead body. They are also a wonderul asset to CSI personel because hair, body fluids, etc... can be found in the tiny fibers easily.

Well if I go on I will wet myself from the excitement, I must stop for now so I can save thoughts for my next thread: The Basics of Floor Carpeting II: The search for Dirt.
Until next time.

I ate all your bees.
I lay claim to the fact nobody on these forums has ever said: Bugger me sideays and call me a Larrikin.

Do you think 7thson..............could possibly be related to someone here at Mofo's..............

"I'm your hell, I'm your dream.......I'm nothing in between.......You know you wouldn't want it any other way".........

"Listen, when I slap you, you'll take it and like it"..........Humphrey Bogart..........Maltese Falcon.......

Graze on my lips and if those hills be dry, stray lower, where the pleasant fountains lie...........William Shakespeare.......

All good people are asleep and dreaming.
Pacific Heights (1990) was a very good movie with plenty of home improvement.

I really liked Michael Keaton in the film.

i am a floor contractor, and i'm still thinking, "what the f**k?"

Originally Posted by 7thson
I mean I did a search for floor carpeting and BAM!!!! nothing.
What are you talking about? You got all your info about carpets from the net! You are a strange one, no wonder I like ya'.
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

This is the type of intelligent fun I was so beginning to miss!

7th son is Aces in my book. He is hereby exempted from the 'search before posting' unwritten rule.

Welcome to the fold.

I must become Caligari..!
That is the stupidest thing i have ever seen.. AND I LOVE IT!
It's a god-awful small affair, To the girl with, the mousy hair, But her mummy is yelling "No", and her daddy has told her to go, But her friend is nowhere to be seen, Now she walks through her sunken dream, To the seat with the clearest view, And she's hooked to the silver screen, But the film is a saddening bore, For she's lived it ten times or more...

I think I was in a defensive mood when I did this thread. I sometimes get a little crazy to try and prove a point, but I always keep my sense of humor. No one can ever take that away fom me, well my ex wife almost did but I made it through.

Thanks for the warm welcomes BTW.

"That's right dude, they peed on your ****ing rug."

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
I can never remember if things happened in The Godfather, part one or two, but young Vito Corleone stole a carpeting during the time he was just beginning to flaunt the law. Sonny, as a baby, was seated on this carpet and began to cry - foreshadowing the doom that this carpeting signified for the Corleone family, and especially for Sonny himself.

The People's Republic of Clogher
I've got a hessian weave...but I'm not wearing any underlay.

"A newbie actually search for something as opposed to merely assuming that a board this old hasn't already touched upon such a par-for-the-course topic as Steven Spielberg? Never!" -A quote from a fellow forum member-

Okay lets hear about all those films that dare dive into the subject of floor carpeting.
First lets explore the subject:
car·pet Pronunciation (kärpt) n.

A thick heavy covering for a floor, usually made of woven wool or synthetic fibers; a rug.
The fabric used for this floor covering.
A surface or surface covering that is similar to a rug: a carpet of leaves and pine needles on the forest floor.

Carpets and area rugs are key decorative and functional elements in a home or business.
Quality installation is critical to the performance of your carpet and will protect your indoor air quality.
New, thicker carpet may prevent doors from swinging clear and free. The installer will remove the doors and re-hang them if possible. If the doors do not clear, arrange to have them trimmed. It is your responsibility to provide an adequate supply of fresh air during installation. Open windows and doors, use an exhaust fan, or operate the fan of your heating or air conditioning system.
In the months following installation, you may notice these characteristics:
SHEDDING—the shedding of loose fibers is normal and should subside with regular vacuuming.
SPROUTING—if a single tuft extends beyond the carpet’s surface, simply clip it off. Do not pull it out.
PILE REVERSAL OR SHADING—a color change that seems to occur in various parts of the carpet, caused by light being reflected in different ways, as pile fibers are bend in different directions. This is not a defect but a characteristic of plush carpet.
WRINKLING—if ripples persist, call your retailer. It may be necessary to professionally re-stretch the carpet.

I would go on and on , the sky is the limit here for excitement and entertainment. I mean I did a search for floor carpeting and BAM!!!! nothing. I figured this was an original thread so it must be a good one.

Now to the part you have been waiting for: discussing the role (heh pun intended) of carpets in films. Well alot of movies portray carpets as a great way to hide and transport a dead body. They are also a wonderul asset to CSI personel because hair, body fluids, etc... can be found in the tiny fibers easily.

Well if I go on I will wet myself from the excitement, I must stop for now so I can save thoughts for my next thread: The Basics of Floor Carpeting II: The search for Dirt.
Until next time.
Wow. 19 years ago, we really delved into topics here.