The Guitar Guild

Tools    

I improvised one for you, @MovieGal so that you're not sad I favor Swan!

https://vocaroo.com/1cDGxt3HpXAp
Your voice has the sound of someone singing folk songs in the 60s...

Nice voice but wth!

OMG YES.
Most of my friends have their financial obsessions over cars or guns. Mine? Music gear. I'm surprised I'm not homeless for it.
Many years ago when I bought my Les Paul I told the guy in the shop it has to be perfect as this is my last expensive purchase. I think I’ve bought 6 since.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Your voice has the sound of someone singing
Thanks.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

You ready? You look ready.
Anyone hoping for some new guitars or equipment over Christmas?
I have a few odds and ends on my Christmas list (i.e. books, cables, etc).
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

A system of cells interlinked
I am hoping to at least get time to play before Christmas. Wish me luck!

Master of My Domain
B major is worse IMO. Although you could always cop out and strum a B7.

Yeah, I haven't even begun to tackle any form of B yet. But I've been copping out with F a lot to be able to play songs while my left hand continues to resist contorting into the proper shape. Fmaj7 sounds alright sometimes, other times it sounds godawful.

Master of My Domain
Yeah, I haven't even begun to tackle any form of B yet. But I've been copping out with F a lot to be able to play songs while my left hand continues to resist contorting into the proper shape. Fmaj7 sounds alright sometimes, other times it sounds godawful.
Oops, didn't know you were learning guitar! Thought it was just a meme.

Fmaj7 is tricky because all together it's beautiful, but there's also the clashing two notes E and F. But if you wanna lie to your friends, just say it's jazz and you'e good.

Oops, didn't know you were learning guitar! Thought it was just a meme.

Fmaj7 is tricky because all together it's beautiful, but there's also the clashing two notes E and F. But if you wanna lie to your friends, just say it's jazz and you'e good.
Oh no worries, I knew F being a b**ch is a bit of a meme among beginner guitarists but I'm now learning from experience that it's 100% true

My newbie will be showing here, but why are E and F considered to clash? Is it just purely that it doesn't sound good to the ears or is there some theory behind it?

Master of My Domain
My newbie will be showing here, but why are E and F considered to clash? Is it just purely that it doesn't sound good to the ears or is there some theory behind it?
Both! If you play E and F simultaneously on a keyboard it'll sound horrendous. But the music theory explanation is that any two keys directly next to each other clash. B and C clash, and so do C and C#. F and G won't though, because there's an F# in between them.

Both! If you play E and F simultaneously on a keyboard it'll sound horrendous. But the music theory explanation is that any two keys directly next to each other clash. B and C clash, and so do C and C#. F and G won't though, because there's an F# in between them.
I see - interesting stuff! I have a good handle on the notes and how to find them on the fretboard etc, but didn't know this, thanks! I guess Fmaj7 is a bit of an exception to the rule then, given that it sounds good despite containing those two clashing notes.

Master of My Domain
I guess Fmaj7 is a bit of an exception to the rule then, given that it sounds good despite containing those two clashing notes.
It's actually not an exception, but it works because it's surrounded by two other notes, F and A, which gives the chord much more stability.

To use a cooking analogy, sugar and chili flakes alone ain't gonna taste well. But if they're put into some kind of dish, then you've got flavor.

It's actually not an exception, but it works because it's surrounded by two other notes, F and A, which gives the chord much more stability.

To use a cooking analogy, sugar and chili flakes alone ain't gonna taste well. But if they're put into some kind of dish, then you've got flavor.
Makes perfect sense.

You ready? You look ready.
What pick ya‘ll pick?

I’ve been switching back and forth between Dunlop’s Tortex .50 and .73, but I just ordered a pack of .60 hoping it’s the sweet spot. I favor Peavey .88 picks for acoustic at the moment but I ordered some Dunlop Ultex in .73 to try out.