Worst sitcom

Tools    

What do you think is the worst sitcom?

I think Friends is one of the most overrated and worst sitcoms ever. Sitcoms like Seinfield and that 70s Show are much better, and as someone who's not a fan of sitcoms in general I can still agree with this. Why it was so popular I'll never know (but hey so are movies like Twilight and the "Scary Movie spinoffs", so go figure.)

I haven't watched Friends religiously so take what I say with a grain of salt, but here are my main gripes with the show.

*Characters are too dysfunctional, but show tries to hard to "make you like them" - It won't be a sitcom without dysfunction, but the show portrays the characters as too dysfunctional, yet at the same time wants you to think of them as "just a typical group of friends" who you can relate to. Just for comparison shows like Home Improvement did a better job - as in the characters had their own quirks and issues, but were still likable. Seinfield also managed to do a better job - I can't explain why, but I think it's because even though they were all dysfunctional, the show wasn't going out of its way to try to make you think they're "normal" either.

*Juvenile humor doesn't fit the show - the juvenile raunchy antics (ex. Joey and Chandler) fits a sitcom like That 70s Show a lot more since it deals with a bunch of immature HS kids and is somewhat believable. But in this show the characters are portrayed as adults with respectable careers, yet still behaving way too much like 13 year old kids. And again you're supposed to "like them" or relate to them in some way - just doesn't work.

*Relationships are creepy and mismatched - the entire thing about them being a "group of friends" who keep hooking up, having babies, and swapping out partners within their circle of friends just has a weird incestuous vibe. Ross and Rachel is probably the most cringeworthy couple in TV history. Sure Seinfield had George and his messed up relationships, but again the problem is this show couldn't stay consistent - on one hand the relationships are totally messed up, but at the same time the show's trying to make you want to see the characters "wind up happily ever after".

*Feels like it's just copying Seinfield - To me the characters in Seinfield were a lot better developed, and their quirks and personalities felt natural and original. To me Friends felt like there was very little consistency with the characters and their personalities, and it was just trying to shoenorn in every stereotypical 'dysfunction' it could find, most of which were ripped off from better shows like Seinfield.

King Of Queens.

Mainly revolved around Kevin James being a total douche to his family, even making his wife lead on a Cop, possibly even sleep with the Cop, so Kevin could get out of a speeding ticket.

Oh the hilarity.

Didn't read past Friends being the worst sitcom. I understand people not liking it, and I could possibly agree that it's a bit overrated, but the worst

Anyway I had to look this up, but the worst I've seen is Rules of Engagement. I caught a few episodes on E4 while bored and its horrendous. I already disliked David Spade, and a Sitcom with him was overkill. It's that bad that I wouldn't even suggest you watch an episode to see how bad it is.

King Of Queens.

Mainly revolved around Kevin James being a total douche to his family, even making his wife lead on a Cop, possibly even sleep with the Cop, so Kevin could get out of a speeding ticket.

Oh the hilarity.
That's interesting thanks - I've only seen a few episodes of the show so I can't comment.

I hope though that the dislike of the show's coming from a genuine critique of the characters and performance - not just political correctness (ex. where if the genders were reversed, the same scenario would be funny).

That does make me think of Everybody Loves Raymond though (another sitcom that sucks) - where they portray the lead character as a weasel who's constantly manipulating his wife for adolescent games - yet at the same time "wants you to like them and relate to them as a couple".

The only redeeming quality of that show was Jerry Stiller
I've only seen about 2-3 episodes of it - the one I recall off the top of my head (something about some guys wanting to get a Big Screen TV to watch the Super Bowl) was really funny - I'd definitely like to watch more of it though to get a better opinion of it.

King Of Queens was being played at mega early times in the mornings and I'd watch it if I'd been up all night (insomnia).

Yeah, it's a similar vein to Everybody Loves Raymond. The lead character basically playing games with those closest to him and generally being a selfish turd so the canned laughter machine can get a workout.

Awful show. And Kevin James is simply not funny.

What do you think is the worst sitcom?

I think Friends is one of the most overrated and worst sitcoms ever. Sitcoms like Seinfield and that 70s Show are much better,.

lol - well opinions are like @ssholes, everyone's got them.

Just remember to ask yourself how much nostalgia plays a role in how much you think you like something.

I've heard some people say 2/12 Men went to hell after Charlie Sheen left.

I watched some of the show where Aston took over and didn't like it, but didn't completely hate it either - I think it's definitely on the verge of being flat out bad anyway.

A system of cells interlinked
THEY ARE ALL THE WORST!!!!

MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Maybe, but I watch Friends every day. Still makes me laugh.

As for Two and a Half Men, was that every funny? Mildly amusing at times I'll grant you, but funny? That's pushing the definition too far.

Worst sitcom of all time? Friends doesn't even come close...my candidates for worst sitcoms of all time:

We've Got it Made

Joey

The Tortellis

Two Guys, a Girl, and a Pizza Place

The Golden Palace

It 's Like You Know

Fish

The Girl with Something Extra

Checking In

Selfie

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Worst sitcom of all time? Friends doesn't even come close...my candidates for worst sitcoms of all time:

Two Guys, a Girl, and a Pizza Place

Was Two Guys, a Girl, and a Pizza Place really that bad? I thought it lasted something like 3 or 4 seasons.

I haven't seen it, but I wanted to find it when I heard that Nathan Fillion was in it.

On The Buses is a hard watch even now. Even though I was just a kid back then, I still watch it and think "Really? This?"

I don't know if its' the worst, but the UK version of Married With Children was horrible. Of course, it did have the problem that I'd seen the far superior US version and you can't help but compare.

Thinking of British sitcoms.

Keeping Up Appearances is just annoying

Last Of The Summer Wine. Now, I get it, and it's not funny. Nor humorous. Or even clever for that matter. Last Of The Summer Wine is terminology for people at the end of their days, living their last days as youthfully as they can... yet, the characters have been doing it for 40 years.
My kids live in the area it's filmed and it seems to be a talking point for everyone who lives there. Whenever I visit, there's always someone who mentions it and I can't help but think "Really? You are aware the Moors Murders took place round here as well, yeah?"

King Of Queens.

Oh the hilarity.
I like King of Queens okay. Neither character is intended to be this upstanding person, but they do care about each other. It's a direct descendent of The Honeymooners, and it's not like Ralph was husband of the century. The show is very aware of who these characters are and what they are and for me it works. Unlike Everybody Loves Raymond, where the show seems to be under the impression Ray and his wife are nice people. In fact Ray is a shifty little worm, and at a certain point in the show it seems everybody just hates each other. I won't watch it anymore.

I can't stand Friends. But the worst sitcom I'm aware of (and there are many I'm not) is Full House.

Back on the subject of Friends - I think the fact that they were trying to make the viewer root for Ross and Rachael as a couple is one of the worst aspects - that couple is cringeworthy - pretty much on the same level as if Jar Jar Binks and Padme had hooked up in The Phantom Menace

Well when you watch friends with laugh track, it's actually funny in a "WTF?" kind of way

Friends with no laugh track is incredibly creepy

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...n_4702216.html