GI Jane

Tools    

I've seen so many movies - so many that I have a really hard time finding decent movies that I haven't seen.

For whatever reason I missed GI Jane when it came out in '97. Probably because it didn't seem worthwhile to me at the time. I see now that it got very mixed reviews.

Anyway, I watched GI Jane last night and was surprisingly really entertained. Demi Moore gives an earnest, gutsy performance, and she clearly got her body in super shape for the demanding role. I can't believe she got a Razzie for that role!

And Viggo Mortensen and Anne Bancroft are equally good - to the point that it's kind of difficult to recognize them.

It's well-directed by Ridley Scott. The script and editing are tight and it moves right along at tense clip. It's hard to find holes of any substance in the film.

My feeling is that the movie was ahead of its time - tackling the issue of women in combat in the US armed forces. After the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, female soldiers have seen a lot more action, and now there's talk of women in the special forces - in GI Jane Demi Moore plays a navy lieutenant training with an elite unit of the Seals.

There's also a sub-plot to do with gays in the military - which, again, may have been ahead of its time.

Maybe back in '97 the premise for the movie seemed far fetched. I'm not sure.

I'm wondering what other people think....

I don't watch this movie and but i think it a good action movie.

Great movie, watched as a kid. And still love to see it again

Demi was hot back then, even with no hair.

I just did a rewatch, really like the acting, demi gives a great performance , and darn what a role she got in this...

My memories of this movie are pretty vague...I remember that Demi and Anne Bancroft were great, but I also remember the film seeming like it went on forever.

It’s a cool idea for a film