"The greatest movie video ever made" - Roger Ebert

Tools    

The Grand Rapids LipDub Video, Directed by Rob Bliss, and filmed in 2011. The citizens of Grand Rapids, Michigan took part in this complex public lip dub, using Don McLean's song American Pie. It's an astonishing production.

Reportedly the video was made in response to a Newsweek story that called Grand Rapids "a failing city". Yet it was Newsweek that failed...

~Doc

Lol Doc I' m always correcting my posts too. No matter, American Pie is so long it practically IS a movie

Well I can't say I wanted to listen again to all 300 verses of a song that I've heard all too often at open mics, kareoke nights, picnics and barbecues etc. But once I got into it, the video was a heckofa lot of fun.

And these enthusiastic folks were having a great time and make Grand Rapids look like a town where you'd feel welcome.

I got a special kick out of the lady with Pompoms, and the dancing couple - he had white pants and she had a red dress - and he tossed her up like Rogers and Astaire.

Glad these folks wound up doing better than Newsweek!

Lol Doc I' m always correcting my posts too. No matter, American Pie is so long it practically IS a movie

Well I can't say I wanted to listen again to all 300 verses of a song that I've heard all too often at open mics, kareoke nights, picnics and barbecues etc. But once I got into it, the video was a heckofa lot of fun.

And these enthusiastic folks were having a great time and make Grand Rapids look like a town where you'd feel welcome.

I got a special kick out of the lady with Pompoms, and the dancing couple - he had white pants and she had a red dress - and he tossed her up like Rogers and Astaire.

Glad these folks wound up doing better than Newsweek!
Yeah, if I hear American Pie once every 10 years or so, that's enough.. But putting aside the music itself, I was blown away by the production, especially the way it was all blocked out and coordinated, scene after scene, with the involvement of 5000 people. Extremely impressive.

It's hard to imagine arranging something like that; and to get it all done for $40,000 is almost unbelievable.

~Doc