The Conners

Tools    

I can't believe they gave Harris a boyfriend in ep 8. Harris just continues to be floating through life with no responsibilities while the rest of the family seems to be working so hard to keep the family together. And a rich boyfriend to boot! I hope Darlene is right about the guy because it was a little tone o hard to read him in this episode. That scene with Becky ad Ben was interesting...not only was there an air of sexual tension between them, but Becky seemed to actually have been given back her brain for the first time since this show started.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I can't believe they gave Harris a boyfriend in ep 8. Harris just continues to be floating through life with no responsibilities while the rest of the family seems to be working so hard to keep the family together. And a rich boyfriend to boot! I hope Darlene is right about the guy because it was a little too hard to read him in this episode. That scene with Becky and Ben was interesting...not only was there an air of sexual tension between them, but Becky seemed to actually have been given back her brain for the first time since this show started.

I think this post kind of sums up the things that I don't like about this show's reboot.

The kids are all boring and/or unlikable, especially Harris.

They turned Becky into an idiot, which is nothing like her character in the original show.

And the only likable character on the show is Ben, who isn't even a member of the Conner family.

If this show wasn't a reboot of "Roseanne", I probably would have stopped watching it already.

Ep 9 featured some strong work from Jay R Ferguson as Ben started to drown his self-pity in alcohol. Thrilled that Darlene got a promotion...it's about time something good happened to her. Sadly, everything with Jackie and her new boyfriend (Nat Faxon) was stupid. This show is really starting to waste Laurie Metcalf. She's better than what she's getting here.

Just watched Ep 10...I was a little thrown by this fight between Dan and Chuck. I understand Dan's economic struggles, but it's out of character for Dan to be jealous of Chuck in that way. I would also like to say that I'm very happy that James Pickens is finding time to play Chuck while still playing Richard on Grey's Anatomy. The make up scene with Pickens and Goodman was excellent. Loved the little shout out to the late Alex Trebek. I should also say I LOVE the idea of Jackie going on Jeopardy and I hope they play this all the way out. Jackie would be hysterical on Jeopardy, even funnier than Cliff on Cheers was when he went on. The story of Darlene and her crazy secretary provided a chuckle or two, but should have been funnier than it was. Though it could be kind of funny that Darlene had a new secretary every episode a la Murphy Brown.

Just watched ep 11 which featured some of the strongest writing I've seen this season. Loved everything that happened between Ben and Dan. It was a little sad watching Dan sort of facing his own mortality as a contracting God. And is Fred Savage being tested as a possible new romantic interest for Sara Gilbert? Their scene together exuded mad chemistry. Can't wait for Jackie to go on JEOPARDY.

Ep 12 had its moments. but definitely one of the weaker episodes this season. The idea of Mark being scared into thinking he had the virus was a little disturbing. It seems we're supposed to feel bad for Harris because Josh dumped her, but I don't because Harris is so unlikable, the most unlikable TV kid since Violet on Mom. That gravestone thing was kind of hard to swallow but Patton Oswalt was very funny as the funeral director. And I also felt about 115 years old when it was revealed that Harris had never heard of Fatal Attraction.

Ep 13 was a real heartbreaker. I hated everything that happened between Dan and Ben, but I understood both sides. I understand Ben wanting to live up to his father's trust, but the business would have gone under already if it weren't for Dan. It was also heartbreaking watching Becky relapse. She was doing so well. I understood her desire to gloss over the pain her life to her date, but the guy seemed sweet and smart and I don't think he would have thought less of her if she had been truthful about being an alcoholic. And after all the precautions the family has taken regarding covid, why give it to Louise now?

Ep 13 was a real heartbreaker. I hated everything that happened between Dan and Ben, but I understood both sides. I understand Ben wanting to live up to his father's trust, but the business would have gone under already if it weren't for Dan.
I thought Dan was totally out of line asking for a percentage of the business. Regardless of how much business he's bringing in, he's only been working there a few months. He's not entitled to a piece of the business.

It was also heartbreaking watching Becky relapse. She was doing so well. I understood her desire to gloss over the pain her life to her date, but the guy seemed sweet and smart and I don't think he would have thought less of her if she had been truthful about being an alcoholic.
Becky should have just been honest about her life. She didn't have to make it sound as bad as it is, but she shouldn't have made it sound like she was rich. And she definitely shouldn't have had a glass of wine. She could have said that she was on some type of meds, or she thinks that she might be pregnant, or any other excuse. Drinking the wine was a mistake.

And after all the precautions the family has taken regarding covid, why give it to Louise now?
I could be wrong, but I think they might have given Louise Covid because they might be killing her off. The actress, (Katey Sagal), has a new show that's starting in a few days, ("Rebel"), so she's probably leaving the show.

That's right, Katey Sagal does have a new show, I forgot. I understand her taking a starring role in an hour long series, but she and John Goodman were really growing on me as a couple.

Just finished watching the REAL EP 13 we learned that Louise got covid. I loved when Dan was sitting outside her apartment asking for television updates. Loved Neville putting on the pants in his relationship with Jackie and it was nice to see Ben and Darlene clear a little bit of the air clogging up their relationship.

The return of Candice Bergen in Ep 14 was unexpected but she sure seems to liven things up on this canvas, I wonder if she's going to be a regular. The new guy at Wellman's is funny and hot...he seems to be another candidate for a new Sara Gilbert love interest since her relationship with Ben seems to be falling apart, which I'm not happy about at all. Though it seems like Darlene is not feeling Ben the way she used to. Very disappointed that Becky left rehab but loved Jackie's speech about her dad.

The return of Candice Bergen in Ep 14 was unexpected but she sure seems to liven things up on this canvas, I wonder if she's going to be a regular. The new guy at Wellman's is funny and hot...he seems to be another candidate for a new Sara Gilbert love interest since her relationship with Ben seems to be falling apart, which I'm not happy about at all. Though it seems like Darlene is not feeling Ben the way she used to. Very disappointed that Becky left rehab but loved Jackie's speech about her dad.

I hope Ben isn't leaving the show. He's one of my favorite characters. (He's probably the only person on the show who's a normal person. )

Was the new guy at Wellman's played by someone from "Beverly Hills 90210"? I didn't look him up, but I thought he might be Brian Austin Green.

John Goodman and Lecy Goranson were so wonderful in those scenes at the rehab. I loved the way these scenes reached way back into the show's history and reminded us so beautifully how Dan never got over his resentment towards Mark for eloping with Becky at the end of season 4 of Roseanne. it's too bad they had to invent history for Jackie and Darlene to talk about during an earlier scene when there is so much history for the current writers to pull from. Loved when Darlene told off that teacher too.

Just finished ep 19 and despite the initial big laughs provided by Becky's return from rehab, she was displaying a lot of incorrect behavior for a recovering alcoholic, but the writers legitimized it near the end of the show with the family's intervention. I was a little disappointed with the screen time to devoted to Jackie on Jeopardy, but I hope they really are bringing her back. The whole thing with Darlene, Ben, and Brian Austin Green was a little confusing...one minute she's asking Brian to go to Hawaii and the next she's telling Ben she sold the tickets...did I Miss something?

My apologies to GBG as i think the new guy at Wellman's is Brian Austin Green.
I wasn't sure because I haven't seen him in much since 90210, but he has a pretty distinctive voice.

Just finished ep 19 and despite the initial big laughs provided by Becky's return from rehab, she was displaying a lot of incorrect behavior for a recovering alcoholic, but the writers legitimized it near the end of the show with the family's intervention. I was a little disappointed with the screen time to devoted to Jackie on Jeopardy, but I hope they really are bringing her back.
I don't think Jackie is going back on Jeopardy. She admitted later in the episode that she was lying about that.

The whole thing with Darlene, Ben, and Brian Austin Green was a little confusing...one minute she's asking Brian to go to Hawaii and the next she's telling Ben she sold the tickets...did I Miss something?
Ben's mother had a talk with Darlene, and convinced her that she should sell the tickets and use the money for Dan's bills, so she can move out of her father's house. Darlene realized that she was right, and sold the tickets to help pay Dan's mortgage, so she and Ben can start their life together.

Just watched ep 20, which felt like the season finale. The scene of Darlene proposing to Ben was brilliantly written and performed. I guess we were supposed to feel bad for Darlene, but I didn't because everything Ben said was true. Why should Darlene just expect Ben to forget the wringer she put him through the past year and just happily skip down the aisle with her? Impressed that the writers didn't discount everything that happened between these two this year and have Ben accept Darlene's proposal. Nigel investing in The Lunchbox has disaster written all over it, but I'm thrilled for Dan and Louise. I'm glad DJ's family is reunited but it sure felt like we're not going to see much of them anymore. Excellent season finale.

There were some interesting things happening in the live fourth season premiere. Loved that Sara Gilbert informed us right at the beginning that the show was being done live in front of a fully vaccinated studio audience. I'm guessing Katey Sagal's show Rebel wasn't renewed because she was front and center during this episode, though I'm wondering if their wedding is ever going to happen because Dan seems to be feeling guilt about having a big splashy wedding with someone other than Roseanne. The writers seem to be turning Jackie into the new Bev, which is not a good thing. The character just seems to be nagging everybody about everything they're doing, making one of the show's best characters really squirm-worthy. The whole thing of Mark skyping with other real people all over the country with the last name Conner totally fell flat and was a waste of screentime. Can't believe they're pulling Ben and Darlene further and further, but I did like the idea of Darlene considering her lack of spirituality as a reason her relationships don't work. Solid work from Sara Gilbert last night. I was thinking that the actress who played the psychic looked and sounded just like an actress named Yvette Nicole Brown and sure enough as the credits rolled, her surname was revealed to be Brown. I was a little troubled that Becky was completely absent. The explanation that she was still in rehab doesn't wash because most rehab stays are 90 days or less. I hope Lecy doesn't start bounding back and forth like she did the last couple of seasons of the original show. I wouldn't be surprised if when she does come back, Sarah Chalke is playing her.