DVD copying right or wrong?

Tools    

A system of cells interlinked
Originally Posted by Uncle Rico
Well burining DVDs obviously isnt right but people do it anyways. And it dosent hurt sales too bad.
Those people are called criminals. You know, sort of like car thieves and bank robbers. That stuff is wrong, but people do it anyways, ya know?

DVD copying is wrong. No matter what the circumstances are, Why be so impatient and get a cheap copy from a market or something, a couple of months before the 'official' release? Why copy dvd's you already have? it's not like the dvd's you currently have are gonna get wrecked inside the box. Someone said earlier about copying the dvd's and selling the original, why buy lots of dvd's if you have debts to pay? That's the only questions I ask.

(by the way, sorry if i'm being harsh or acting like a dick. I'm just in a bad mood at the moment)

A system of cells interlinked
Originally Posted by The Blister Exists
DVD copying is wrong. No matter what the circumstances are, Why be so impatient and get a cheap copy from a market or something, a couple of months before the 'official' release? Why copy dvd's you already have? it's not like the dvd's you currently have are gonna get wrecked inside the box. Someone said earlier about copying the dvd's and selling the original, why buy lots of dvd's if you have debts to pay? That's the only questions I ask.

(by the way, sorry if i'm being harsh or acting like a dick. I'm just in a bad mood at the moment)
Oh...it's all good, man.

And I agree. Although, you are allowed to make one back-up copy of all your DVDs and CDs.

Originally Posted by Sinny McGuffins
I'll be honest, I sometimes rent DVDs then copy them. But only because I'm a kid who doesn't have a job. When I do get a job, which will be soon, I'm going to buy DVDs all the time.
I've had my new job for a month now, and I've already bought twenty new DVDs. It may not seem like a huge feat for some of you, but it is for me.

I don't think I'll ever copy a DVD again. Unless my mum wants a copy of The Wedding Date or something.

Sir Sean Connery's love-child
Yeah, copying is wrong, but so are the companies that bring out endless versions of the same film! It really annoys me when a few months after releasing a film, the company decides to bring out a directors cut or 3 disc special edition.
Noticed Gladiator has an anniversary disc out, the film can't be more than 5 years old!!!
It's also my understanding that DVD's only last for 10 years, again I feel cheated by this.

Toga, toga, toga......

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbour?

Originally Posted by Sedai
Although, you are allowed to make one back-up copy of all your DVDs and CDs.
I never thought of that.

I got for good luck my black tooth.
I won't say that downloading music and movies and burning them isn't wrong, but I am against the commercials that say that downloading a movie is no different from stealing a cd from a store. When you download a movie or song you are only hurting millionares, but stealing from a store is hurting it's owner who needs the money. Especially when it's an independent store. To me there is quite a difference.

I am not sure about that, stealing is stealing no matter who it is from. When we had an investment property a tenant would only pay half the amount of the rent because she said we were rich, it is all relative.

Originally Posted by nebbit
we were rich
You are rich? Dang you, give me a dollar!!!!!

All who copy dvds and music belong in jail!!!!!!!!!!!!
hahaha not really.... The fact of the matter is downloading 'free' music or making dvds is really not that bad for society. I mean people on the whole get to keep their money without feeding the money-hungry industries. All the music artists and movie stars are well payed anyway. Its time for us to share their glory with free stuff!

I spend over $5000 a year on movie tickets and snacks alone for 8 of us a year. If I wanna' copy DVDs then I am gonna do it....I do own more than 1000 originals though so whatever.

I am just thingy about that sort of stuff, I wasn't the best of teenagers and was in a lot of trouble with the police, I consider myself lucky that my record was wiped off when I turned 18. once i went for a job in welfare and they did a police check on me, I was very anxious that they would find out my past, the government had done the right thing and really wiped it off, thank God. I do understand where you are coming from, now you may understand where I am coming from.

Originally Posted by nebbit
I am just thingy about that sort of stuff, I wasn't the best of teenagers and was in a lot of trouble with the police, I consider myself lucky that my record was wiped off when I turned 18. once i went for a job in welfare and they did a police check on me, I was very anxious that they would find out my past, the government had done the right thing and really wiped it off, thank God. I do understand where you are coming from, now you may understand where I am coming from.
You bet....

Copynig DVDs is cool as long as it is for the right reasons. If you are backing up your collection or transfering them to your portable to take with you. I travel a lot and I take my PSP to play games and watch movies. It keeps me sain on the plane. I am not selling them or handing them out. That is where it gets illegal.

The Adventure Starts Here!
I find this entire thread amazing. Such a high percentage of people posting here are justifying copying DVDs or downloading stuff for free (that isn't meant to be free) with a kind of ends-justifies-the-means attitude. Has our society become so morally relative that we're justifying performing illegal acts because it only hurts millionaires (which isn't necessarily true, BTW)? So, is murder all right if you only kill old people? Is rape okay if you only rape prostitutes?

I'm sorry, but I don't subscribe to the "I deserve this DVD" attitude, or the "I can't afford it so I'll just take it anyway because I want it" attitude. I've been poor a lot of my adult life, and if I couldn't afford something, I just did without it. Or, I earned and saved the money to buy it. I didn't take something that didn't rightfully belong to me simply because I couldn't afford it and those who were selling it had a lot more money than I did.

I honestly don't get the justification. The "it's not so bad/there are worse crimes" stuff is a slippery slope because, short of genocide, there is always something worse you could be doing.

Sorry if I don't agree with the majority of folks here, but I don't. I made my kids get rid of Kazaa on their computers once I knew what it was about, and I don't copy DVDs or download movies off the Internet. My kids now buy their music from iTunes or Real Rhapsody. The only thing I tape any more is Survivor on Thursday nights -- and only for our own personal use.

Next you people will be taping baseball games without the express written consent of Major League Baseball!

****in' A, man. I got a rash, man
Originally Posted by jrs
Right. You're getting charged as you download
You can subscribe to newsgroups for a small fee which guarantees DVD retail quality and very fast download speeds.
"You smell that? Do you smell that?... Napalm, son. Nothing else in the world smells like that. I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for twelve hours. When it was all over I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' dink body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory. Someday this war's gonna end..."

Personally the only DVD copy I do is transfering the movie onto my PSP because I travel a lot--by the way for those with PSPs check this out SPAM Removed-- I got it and I'm loving it. But anyway, I think it's okay to copy the DVDs you already own, if you need backups for what ever reason but I dont really burn dvds or cds otherwise. I think that your not only cheating the artist but your cheating all of the people like the grips and stuff--and they dont get paid that much.

Personal use is fine but copying a dvd for a friend because he doesn't want to cough up a few bucks for a film he wants to see, wrong. I own alot of movies and have never done it, despite people asking me to. I feel that it's our responsibility to support the films we love by paying for them.

Myself, i owned 3 copied DVD's (xmen 1, xmen 2 and van helsing) but somehow it just didn't feel right you know. I love to own real dvds and put them in a row and stare at them Mar sound weird but i do.
And i love to spend money on it so i gave them away and bought the real dvds, better quality anyway.

Ok it is wrong, not only because it's illegal. but it somehow seems a little gready. I KNOW im gready too, i've got loads of burnt cds, but dvd's are just so great. Im addicted to dvd's and ready to spend some money on it, and if you try a little, you can alsways find a good price for the dvds
e.g. Xmen 1.5 and 2 costed both €25 in 'Musicstore' and both €15 in 'freerecordshop'. I waited one week with buying and got 25% discount in Free Record Shop. Just patience and luck

And do check my "art": Deviant