Another Scorsese Boxed Set!

Tools    

Originally Posted by retroboy
According to the Digitalbits, MGM is prepping their own boxed set of Martin Scorsese films for an early 2005 release. Included are the existing versions of The Last Waltz and Boxcar Bertha, but also SEs of Raging Bull and New York, New York!

Thats cool but i didnt even get the first box set yet. And why wont they put Taxi Driver in a box set its one of my favorite films.

ps. nice avatar

Originally Posted by MichaelMyers
Thats cool but i didnt even get the first box set yet. And why wont they put Taxi Driver in a box set its one of my favorite films.
Taxi Driver is a film owned by Columbia Pictures, and accordingly the only boxed set it could be in would include The Age of Innocence - the only other film Scorsese made with that studio.

Here's an idea: just go buy Taxi Driver. It has a nice SE all of its own.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I'll be getting this one too eventually. I haven't seen Boxcar Bertha or New York, New York.

Bad Morther****er
I can wait on this one Boxcar Bertha, and New York, New York are two of my least favorite Scorceses films. I'll just end up getting Raging Bull SE separatly.
Justice will be served/ And the battle will rage/ This big dog will fight/ When you rattle his cage/ And you’ll be sorry that you messed with the U.S. of A./ Cause we`ll put a boot in your ass/ It`s the American way.
Courtesy Of The Red, White & Blue - Toby Keith

Originally Posted by Garrett
I'll be getting this one too eventually. I haven't seen Boxcar Bertha or New York, New York.
Neither have i but ill rent it

Boxcar Bertha is currently available on R1 DVD, just not as a special edition. It's the exploitation quickie Marty made for Roger Corman, in the low-rent Bonnie & Clyde vein. Other than having the distinction of being Scorsese's first Hollywood film and a learning experience for him, there ain't much to it. Barbara Hershey gives a nice enough performance, and there are some glimpses here and there of the auteur trying to get out of that little box (I especially like the way the crucifixion is filmed at the end, some of the angles used again years later for The Last Tempation of Christ). But other than for Scorsese mega-fans, there ain't much to recommend. It is what it is.

New York, New York on the other hand I like quite a bit. Very flawed experiment, but when it works it is quite wonderful. Not yet avialable on DVD, but I have it on LaserDisc - the longer director's cut with audio commentary and other supplements.

The Last Waltz, one of my favorites and the best rock and roll concert documentary ever made, is already available as a special edition DVD. I'm sure MGM will simply include it as part of the set, without any changes to that disc itself.

As for Raging Bull, Region 1 is the only place a S.E. of the movie isn't already available. The disc that was done for the rest of the world has no commentary track, but the retrospective documentary is decent enough. I have the Criterion LD, which has a rather marvelous commentray track featuring Marty and Thelma Schoonmaker.

Nice overview of all the movies Holden, but I would eventually like to have all of Scorsese's films in some form or another so a box set seems a logical thing to purchase.

Call me crazy, but I don't think that Holden was offering his opinions on the films as alternatives to actually seeing them...

I didn't think he was either.
I thought he was just giving me (and anyone else who wanted one) an overview of the movies before I shell out something like sixty bucks for a boxed set.

Release date: Dec-14-2004 for Martin Scorsese Film Collection how many more people are getting this? Holden since you know alot of Scorsese is it possible for Gangs of New York in a box set? i know Holden is getting this. Holden do you own the ones in the collection?

Originally Posted by Zzat
i know Holden is getting this.
I doubt I'll get the boxed set. I'll definitely be getting Raging Bull, especially as the features are sure to make it the most special of all DVD versions yet in any region. And I'll probably get New York, New York, even if there isn't much substantially to make it better than the old special edition LaserDisc boxed set.

As for Boxcar Bertha, I already have it on DVD, and can't imagine there will be enough new features to warrant a second purchase. And I'm sure the Last Waltz disc will be exactly the same, which I of course already own.

So I'll buy Raging Bull and probably New York, New York, but not the other two...therefore not worth my getting the boxed set.

And for anyone who hasn't seen it yet, here's more information on the set and the Raging Bull features...

Originally Posted by TheDigitalBits.com
Set to street on 12/14 (SRP $69.96), the set will include the New York, New York: Special Edition, a 2-disc Raging Bull: Collector's Edition, and the previously released The Last Waltz: Special Edition and Boxcar Bertha. The New York, New York: Special Edition will be presented in 1.66:1 letterboxed widescreen with Dolby Digital 5.1 and mono audio (SRP $19.98 separately). Extras will include audio commentary, alternate takes, deleted scenes, a photo gallery, and the film's theatrical and teaser trailers. The Raging Bull: Collector's Edition will be presented in 1.85:1 anamorphic widescreen with Dolby Digital 5.1 and 2.0 surround audio (SRP $29.98 separately). Extras will include audio commentary by Scorsese and editor Thelma Schoonmaker, a separate cast and crew commentary, a "storytellers" commentary, 3 documentaries (including Before the Fight: The Writing and Casting of Raging Bull, Inside the Ring: The Making of Raging Bull and The Bronx Bull), 3 featurettes (After the Fight: Creating a Classic, La Motta Defends Title and De Niro vs. La Motta) and the theatrical trailer.
The only real question I have is if the audio commentary track on Raging Bull is newly recorded or the same one Marty & Thelma did for the Criterion LD years ago. I'll be buying it either way, but I hope it's new. I'd bet the audio track for the New York, New York disc will be the one Scorsese recorded for the LD, as that was an MGM product so that feature wouldn't be licensed to another company.

are they ever going come out with Gangs of New York on one disc? or in a box set? i hate switching disc just like Once Upon a Time in American and it reminded me of the flipper in Goodfellas i heard about.

Originally Posted by Zzat
are they ever going come out with Gangs of New York on one disc? or in a box set? i hate switching disc just like Once Upon a Time in American and it reminded me of the flipper in Goodfellas i heard about.
Double-sided discs caused me to watch the last half of Amadeus first... that was before the re-release.

Do you know my poetry?
Some bad news for all who have been waiting for this set:

Originally Posted by TheDigitalBits
Also, MGM seems to have revised its December DVD release schedule, and mysteriously the Martin Scorsese Film Collection titles have disappeared from the slate (they had been set for release on 12/14 - we suspect they've been delayed until early 2005).

Martin Scorsese Film Collection Release date: Feb-08-2005

Raging Bull Release date: Feb-08-2005 also...

Here's some images of the set...
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	scorseser1artworkpic.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	4010   Click image for larger version

Name:	ragingbullser1pic1.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	4011  

Sadly, neither the new Raging Bull DVD or the Scorsese Collection will be getting a R2 release. But that doesn't really matter, I can always order them off the internet. But first, I must know something.

All the films from this set, except Raging Bull, will be released over here individually. The Last Waltz and Boxcar Bertha are basically the same discs from R1, but I think New York, New York has slightly more extra features...
Originally Posted by HMV
New Documentary 'The New York, New York Stories' - 2 Part Documentary Focusing On Producing, Editing, Cinematography & Includes New Interview With Martin Scorsese
I checked a few sites to see if the R1 release had this feature, but I couldn't see it anywhere. Does anyone know what it's like? Do you think it's worth me buying the discs over here seperately or shall I just get the boxed set from America?

HMV.co.uk - New York, New York

I've never seen it since there's never been an R1 release of "New York, New York" up until now.

Just got this collection Raging bull was the only one in it that i've seen before i hope im not dissapointed. it was really cheap i got it for $36.99 is it like that every where