Sane's Top 133 Favourite Films

→ in
Tools    

I'd been thinking about updating my Top 100 for a while - it's been a couple of years since I did the last one (not counting my Asia/Pacific Top 100) and I've watched almost 2000 movies since so now is a good time. Why 133? Because I rate films out of 100 and there are 133 that I've given 90 or more so that seemed like a good number.

In the lower half of this list I really can't separate some films so for the most part they will probably be in reverse alphabetical order in groups according to their rating so if you think I've listed something too low just move it up 30 spots in your mind

Ok ...

133. Yi Yi: A One & A Two (2000) - Edward Yang

Taiwanese Drama
Anyone who knows me on this forum knows I love Ozu and one of the reasons is because of the different levels that he shows us - there is simply what is happening to the people on screen, there are themes relating to different generations and then there are themes relating to the bigger picture - society and culture. Taiwanese directors like Yang & Hou can be quite similar at times but with a different perspective due to them being from a different country. Yi Yi is an amazing film about four generations of a Taipei family and how they interact with each other and their constantly evolving society.

Looking forward to this . Also I feel that someone always uses that gif when someone starts one of these threads
Just my way of saying Sane's taste kicks ass and I'm looking forward to this.

132. Spring Breakers (2013) - Harmony Korine

American Crime
I predict that this will be one of the more controversial films on the list and I have to admit that's one of the reasons I love it. I also really like that people seem unable to really agree on why it's so good or so bad - and I'm definitely included there because I actually pretty much disagree with what I first wrote about it (although my love for the film hasn't changed). I initially thought it was an anti spring break and the related shallowness movie but it's not. Korine's films actually show great love for his characters even if that isn't immediately apparent. He loves the debauchery of spring break and he has no issue with his "shallow" heroines. This is, to me, a "girl power" movie plain and simple. This is young women wanting something and going out and getting it and perhaps Korine is saying that they can dress and act however they like and maybe it is us who are the shallow ones for judging them. Or maybe not

131: Mamma Roma (1962) - Pier Paolo Pasolini

Italian Drama
Before Pasolini made films seemingly designed to offend half the world he was making great neo-realism movies like this. It contains one of the great performances by an actress of all time as Anna Magnini walks around Rome trying to change her life, she is an ageing prostitute, and that of her teenage son. I think that the French film industry is generally considered the leader in Europe, and deservedly so, but I have found I have connected much more with movies from Italy - particularly from this post war until mid 60s period.

130. Lilies of the Field (1963) - Ralph Nelson

American Drama
This is a movie that shows how great Hollywood can be and perhaps highlights what has been lost. This is quite simply a nice feel good film but it earns every moment of sentimentality thanks to great writing and characters. There are no shortcuts here. This is one of the many films I've watched lately that also highlighted how great an actor Sidney Poitier is - he seemed to be a bit typecast in the 60s and was obviously a director's first choice for their "message" movie but his performances always elevated the films above that.

When I saw you'd started a list, my thought was "I bet I won't have seen just about anything on it. It'll be all foreign arthouse." Well, from the looks of it, I think I'm probably right, but am a little shocked to see Springbreakers.

Pleasantly shocked. I enjoyed it.

129. King Kong (1933) - Merian C Cooper/Ernest B Schoedsack

American Adventure
I'm not really someone who is affected by nostalgia when it comes to films. I usually look at it this way - just because I liked something when I was 10 doesn't mean I'll like it now because so much has changed. I loved King Kong as a kid and when I decided to rewatch it I thought I'd probably hate it. Well, it was awesome So much fun, great special effects, tension and the wonderful Fay Wray screaming her guts out. Just a classic film.

When I saw you'd started a list, my thought was "I bet I won't have seen just about anything on it. It'll be all foreign arthouse." Well, from the looks of it, I think I'm probably right, but am a little shocked to see Springbreakers.

Pleasantly shocked. I enjoyed it.

Hopefully it'll be quite diverse. After all, I am one of the few people that doesn't think Avatar is "overrated" - I love it

I've seen 3 Pasolini films but not that one. Salo, Teorema, and St. Matthew were all average for me.

Nice to see Kong, a favorite of mine since childhood.

I very much want to see Lilies of the Field before I turn in my 60's list. I've been having trouble finding it but I'll keep trying.

I'm on the other side with Spring Breakers.

Looking forward to the rest!

128. Jean de Florette (1986) - Claude Berri

French Drama
Often when people talk about atmosphere, and I include myself here, it is in terms of a film being dark or tense or uncomfortable but in this film Berri created an amazingly "pleasant" atmosphere. Watching this film, and it's sequel Manon des Sources, was a joy from start to finish - the beauty of the images, the story, the characters ... everything had me watching with a smile on my face. The story isn't always happy as such but as a movie it is wonderful to watch.