Holden & mafo at Movie Forums

→ in
Tools    

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Allrighty. I'm going to go ahead and open this thread up to see how it plays out based on a couple of things. I was talking with Holden Pike yesterday and asked him if he wanted to go in with me on a thread where we discuss various new movies, older favorites and some film personalities or significant trends. The idea would be to make it something along the lines of Siskel & Ebert At the Movies. I'm not sure if you guys would care for us to do something like that or not, but it would be a way for some of you to know a little bit more about how Holden and I agree and differ in our ways of looking at movies. Plus, I'm sure that you'd learn more about movies and us in general too. (You see, I don't know if you think that's such a good thing... )

Now, we didn't really spend a lot of time planning this, plus we have a temporary monkey wrench which may cause some disruption. You may have noticed that Gene [R.I.P.]... er, I mean, Holden (the taller, younger guy), hasn't been around much lately. Now, he wants me, Rog (the older, fatter guy) to assure you it's not because he's just sick of all you guys. His home P.C. has been out of commission for quite awhile now and he was back east with the family during the holidays later than normal because of snowy conditions in Oregon. But he says he's back and ready to join in again at the site and at this thread. He'll probably have to post from either work or a bookstore down the street from him until he gets his PC up and running again though, so I thought I'd start out with an intro here before I jump in and just start discussing something which is stuck in my craw.

I also wanted to make it clear that we haven't really discussed a clearcut format we want to use. This is not supposed to be a closed, elitist thread with two pompous windbags. We want "audience participation", but we want to make sure that we have a chance to give our own opinions about something, as close as we can to the same time, "pseudo-face-to-face" (because this isn't going to turn into a podcast anytime soon) before everybody else shares their ideas. That could very well be a logistical nightmare, but I believe in MoFo and I think it's doable!

So, basically, I'm going to open this thread to test the waters in two fashions: (1) I want to see how soon Holden can reply (and if you reply before I come back, go ahead and think out loud, and if you have a movie you want to start off with, let 'er rip; (2) I want to let any MoFos who care tell us what you think and offer some suggestions for movies or topics of discussion. I'm pretty sure that Holden has seen more recently-released films than I have, so I don't want him to waste his time and write up a page about a movie I still haven't seen and wait for me to respond (PM me in advance when unsure, Big Guy), but I'm thinking one of our earliest segments should be on something about the Oscars (maybe a film or a category). When in doubt, we're well aware of thousands of films we've both seen, but I'd like to keep things as fresh as possible.

Also, this is not meant to supplant our wonderful MoFo Film Club. I'm hoping that Holden and I can tear through some discussions quickly, or at least as quickly as the members seem to care. I came up with this idea for a thread because I've noticed that we've had a huge influx of younger and newer blood around here, and I was hoping this thread might appeal to them. I mean, I hope it appeals to everyone, but you know, "the best laid plans... " That's true. Maybe this will be the only post in this thread. So, if anybody cares, now's the time to make suggestions, and once we get the hang of how to run this topic, it should turn out very fun for all those involved.

I am half agony, half hope.
I'm looking forward to this, fellas. Let 'er rip.

I would suggest starting with something relatively current to grab our younger members' interest/ and or participation.

Johann von Goethe

Welcome to the human race...
I'm looking forward to this, fellas. Let 'er rip.

I would suggest starting with something relatively current to grab our younger members' interest/ and or participation.
Personally, I wouldn't be averse to having older films discussed, but at least with more recent films, I have a better chance of knowing about them or being able to see them.

This is going to be a really good read, I can't wait to start reading it.

I am half agony, half hope.
Personally, I wouldn't be averse to having older films discussed, but at least with more recent films, I have a better chance of knowing about them or being able to see them.
I definitely want older films discussed, but for the first movie, to get the younger kids' feet wet, something more modern would give them a chance to be included from the start.

A system of cells interlinked
Seeing as how the two of you already post most of my favorite content on the site, I am thinking I would also enjoy this.

Have at it!

I'm looking forward to this...

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

This sounds fantastic. I think a sprinkling of old and new would be good, but I wouldn't discount the value of focusing mainly on the classics. It has more staying power, and I think even the much younger MoFos have shown that they're genuinely interested in exposing themselves to as many classic films as possible.

Numerous are available. So if the discussions last long enough, maybe you will have the time to either purchase some of them, or get them from your local video store, or library.

I'm hoping older films are discussed more-so than newer films, because they cover mostly newer films in the other thread. Besides, I need another excuse for buying movies.

Sorry. I'm here. Went out with M'Lady and got nice and drunk on a few glasses of good red wine last night. No time for internetting. OK, so I'm not sorry.

But I'm good to go, now. Where do we start, Mark?

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

You ready? You look ready.
This is a very interesting and great idea.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

This sounds very interesting. I can't wait to read your discussions and possibly even participate in them (if I'm understanding the procedure correctly).

To start things off, is someone--anyone--supposed to recommend a film to discuss?

My Movie Review Thread | My Top 100