Movie Tab II

Tools    

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
Originally Posted by chicagofrog
Peter is real cold-hearted
but each MoFo should make his/her own opinion on the movies, doesn't he think so?
plus my spot are not so soft!
Well, it wasn't so much a "Don't watch it ever" as it was a warning to not have high hopes.

And no. No one should ever have an opinion but me. I'm pretty sure I'm always right.

Originally Posted by OG-
No!!! I've learned over time that the frog has an unusual soft spot for this film. My advice, should you still want to see the movie, turn it off when it feels like it should end, otherwise you're wasting your time and will just be monumentally dissapointed at how incoherent it becomes.
i second this....it's really not worth the watch...

there's a frog in my snake oil
The Rutles - Fun pre-Spinal-Tap parody-homage for the Fab Four. I found it floundered a bit in the middle tho (the songs seemed a bit overspun by that point, altho perhaps i just wasn't getting the references). Eric Idle's docu Pythonisms are a plus (and it's good to see the SNL crew of the time). After the 'tragical mystery tour' the jokes came thick and fast again. Loved Nasty's sit-in in the shower etc, and the 'missing trousers being an Italian sign for death'

I am having a nervous breakdance
Lawrence of Arabia (1962 - David Lean)

I decided to watch yet anohter classic. I haven't seen this one in a million years and it was like watching it for the first time. It is a fantastic cinematic epic.

I don't like Lawrence... I don't know if that's the whole point, but I just don't like him. He clearly seems to be suffering from hubris - everything is about him. I guess I'm identifying with Ali (Omar Sharif) in the sense that I'm kind of disappointed with Lawrence...

It's interesting though... Having watched The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance recently I can't help to think of the line "Print the legend" from that film. It fits Lawrence as well in a way. Lawrence was a legend but couldn't handle it...

Anyway.. The film is so beautiful to watch... The desert scenes are breathtaking... The scene where Ali appears for the first time, riding his camel on the horizon.... There are a lot of magnificent scenes like that... Another scene that stood out for me was the one where Prince Feisal towards the end of the film says "What you've done for me is impossible to evaluate", or something like that, and Lawrence just silently leaves before the Prince has even finished the sentence. That was powerful.

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Mr and Mrs Smith. Pretty average, but has convinced me that Angelina Jolie is the most beautiful woman in the world. Shame she's never been in anything actually good.

I am having a nervous breakdance
Ray (2004 - Taylor Hackford)

Pretty good film... Lots of heroin and demons from the past. I do think that Foxx really deserved the Oscar though... Fantastic performance! Did he sing everything himself??

The People's Republic of Clogher
Jarhead (2005, Sam Mendes)

2.5/5

I finished watching this about an hour ago and have totally forgotten it. Oh yeah...Full Metal Jacket with fast cutting and a cuddly sergeant.

'Twas ok then but a bit like one of my mum's Yorkshire puddings - nice enough but when you cut into it there's not a lot there.

Welcome to the human race...
Withnail & I - 9/10

The 40-Year-Old Virgin - 8/10

Carrie - 7/10

Trainspotting - 8/10

The People's Republic of Clogher
Everything (2004, Richard Hawkins)

4/5

Men, I would imagine, visit prostitutes because something's missing in their lives. And it isn't always sex.

Everything sees a subdued Ray Winstone visiting Jan Graveson's lady of the night for nine consecutive days in her grimy Soho flat.

They talk.

Only at the end do we find out quite why these visits are taking place and unfortunately I twigged quite early but, even if you do too, don't let the fact prevent you from sticking with this little gem of a film.

Winstone is superb here but bettered by Jan Graveson who I've only seen in Eastenders years ago. They've got a great script to work with, which helps, and Jan imbues her character with a whole heap of world-weary charm and pathos.

Everything was filmed in 9 days for a cost of £50,000. You could show me hundreds of films costing a thousand times more without a tenth of the subtlety, care or impact...

The DaVinci Code
- The best collaboration between Hanks and Ron Howard ever on screen. I haven't read the book (yet) but don't think that is a big deal. I totally disagree with Suspect's review. The film was well acted all around - even Tom Hanks - the locations were beautiful and the story mind you was fantastic. Gripping with action, I was continuously on the edge of my seat. The ending was very unexpected. I loved it and so did the audience with cheering and even a standing ovation. Personally I do not see what this whole controversy is about. It's only a movie for cryin' out loud.

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
Dellamorte Dellamore - Wow. I was blown away. Some of the best direction of all time, and I'm certainly with Martin Scorsese when he calls it one of the best films of the 90s.

A system of cells interlinked
The Seven Per-cent Solution (Ross, 1976) - What do you get when you combine Duvall, Olivier, Arkin, Redgrave, a wonderful Nichol Williamson, late 70s cocaine fascination, and equal helpings Skerlock Homes and Sigmund Freud?

A bizzare holmesian tale featuring a strung out Holmes who is duped into meeting with Sigmund Freud. After a totally out-there detox, the two join forces to solve a case. Duvall is a stodgey Dr. Watson, while Williamson and Arkin pull off some great scenes together as Holmes and Freud, respectively.

The film is a bit uneven, but I really enjoyed it! Williamson is so fun to watch!

Rear Window (Hitchcock, 1954) - Love it. Have seen it a million times!

You ready? You look ready.
Ice Age 2- I liked the first one more.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

history *is* moralizing
Dark Water, 2005, for the second time and i still like it a very lot, and Jennifer Connelly still appears to me as one of the most beautiful actresses and among the most touching, achieving quite the excellent performance here