Movie Tab II

Tools    

Originally Posted by Tacitus
I can't stand Dogville either and I even bought the little bugger thinking that it must have some merit, judging by the amount of praise on here. I disliked it even more second time around.
Me too

Hello Salem, my name's Winifred. What's yours
Just got back from Final Destination 3. I might as well have saved my money and rented the first one again. Its the same old stuff, someone has a vision for no apparent reason, freaks out, saves people (some of whom wont believe leading them to their deaths) then just when you think its all resolved the director wastes even more time.

Originally Posted by undercoverlover
Just got back from Final Destination 3. I might as well have saved my money and rented the first one again. Its the same old stuff, someone has a vision for no apparent reason, freaks out, saves people (some of whom wont believe leading them to their deaths) then just when you think its all resolved the director wastes even more time.
And you were expecting what?
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Welcome to the human race...
Fahrenheit 9/11 (Michael Moore, 2004)

7/10

Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants (Ken Kwapis, 2005)

6/10

The Boondock Saints (Troy Duffy, 1999)

8/10

A system of cells interlinked
Aliens (Cameron, 1986)

I got for good luck my black tooth.
American Beauty

Meh. I'm kind of surprised this won best picture.

The People's Republic of Clogher
Open Range (2003, Kevin Costner)

4/5

Now this is my kind of film, a beautifully made, perfectly cast Western. Ok, so there's not much competition but I think that Open Range is the best Horse Opera since Unforgiven. Indeed, had Clint not made his masterpiece I feel that Big Kevvie's movie would have recieved more widespread recognition. This man knows his Westerns...he knows them.

Robert Duvall and Annette Bening were born to play these roles: mature and understated. There's also a great little turn by Michael Jeeter, probably my favourite 'Strange Little Bloke' working today. Heck, even Costner, never the most animated of actors, performs well.

Goodfellas

I got for good luck my black tooth.
Citizen Kane There's nothing I can really say about it that hasn't already been said a million times. I really liked it.

Open Range (2003, Kevin Costner)
Now this is my kind of film, a beautifully made, perfectly cast Western. Ok, so there's not much competition but I think that Open Range is the best Horse Opera since Unforgiven. Indeed, had Clint not made his masterpiece I feel that Big Kevvie's movie would have recieved more widespread recognition. This man knows his Westerns...he knows them.
Open Range is such a frustrating movie, and a perfect example of how weak Costner is as a director. The main narrative, the cinematography and Robert Duvall's performance are all great (James Muro's photography and Bobby Duvall's acting are both Oscar calibur work). And the final shoot-out is one of the best ever captured on screen. But the movie is about forty minutes too long, highlighted by the continuing and completely unnecessary CODAs that follow the natural ending of the film but drag on for another twenty minutes: interminable junk. The love story between Coster and Bening's is embarasssing with truly horrid dialogue. Frankly that entire subplot could have been gotten rid of, but if he felt compelled to keep it, the dialogue certainly should have been completely re-written. It's such bad, corny, hokey, tired, clichéd ***** that you could lift it word for word and stick it in a Naked Gun movie and it would get huge laughs. Just dreadful. I like Anette Bening a whole lot, but she is stuck saying the most ridiculous things. Ugh.

There's a great movie somewhere in the center of Open Range, but Costner has no idea how to edit and meld it into something special.

There's also a great little turn by Michael Jeeter, probably my favourite 'Strange Little Bloke' working today.
Just so you know, the Tony and Emmy Award winning Michael Jeter died in 2003. Open Range was his last film (though due to the extensive post-production process, The Polar Express was released much later, in 2004).

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
St. Ives - a period rom-com. Unimaginative and predictable, with moments of absolute hilarity. The cast (including Richard E. Grant and Miranda Richardson) outshine the foibles, and barely strain their acting chops in so doing. Ok, a little, they strain, but they had a lot to overcome. Overall, it's better than Cats. :/

The Laramie Project

Taxi Driver

Rent

Do you know my poetry?
Originally Posted by blibblobblib
So ya liked it? Any details Zieky? Im lookin forward to this.
I liked it alot. From the perspective I saw it from, being a Steven Soderbergh fan, I adored it, but it may not be the same if you haven't known his style and way of storytelling. It is slow-paced, has experimental camera tricks and dialogue, but he knows how to control his story, and never takes it too far, makes it genuine and perfect and packs his ideas into quite a small perfect gem, even only at a 73 minute run time. The actors being first timers, are very good and very worthy of representing the characters they're playing, and Coleman Hough writes another interesting story of events (as she did in Full Frontal as well) and makes it work, even the sub-plot, which works quite well. Hope you see it soon Blib, it's quite the film.

Pride & Prejudice (2005) 3/5 - 'Tis okay, but I prefer the A&E version...

Glory (1989) 4/5

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
The Graduate - Well made, but it seemed unoriginal - I know that's probably only because it has been much imitated since, but it still didn't excite me overmuch.

The Seven Samurai - my husband walked in half way through, not thinking he could catch up on the plot, but the truth is after an hour and a half, some farmers have hired some samurai and that's it. But, fortunately, this is not a film which relies on plot. It was good (if too long), but as with the Graduate the many imitations lessen the impact.

The People's Republic of Clogher
Originally Posted by Holden Pike
The love story between Coster and Bening's is embarasssing with truly horrid dialogue. Frankly that entire subplot could have been gotten rid of, but if he felt compelled to keep it, the dialogue certainly should have been completely re-written. It's such bad, corny, hokey, tired, clichéd ***** that you could lift it word for word and stick it in a Naked Gun movie and it would get huge laughs. Just dreadful. I like Anette Bening a whole lot, but she is stuck saying the most ridiculous things. Ugh.
I'd say that the script was the weakest part of Open Range, true, and Kevvie might have been a tad too reverential at times but the length didn't bother me one bit.

I dunno how you'd expect a 19th century frontierswoman falling in love with a stoic cowpoke to converse though. "You got a breath on you like a hot mince pie"?