The Movie Forums Top 100 Comedies Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Do we know how many partial ballots there was? I wouldn't be surprised that some of the people who needed to be sweet talked into sending in a ballot just listed what few comedies they had seen more recently....hence we get Superbad. Or I could be completely wrong and it's a great comedy

Been ages since I posted on this and, with a few exceptions, you've all failed quite badly.

Heathers was on my list at #19 and I think it's almost perfect for what it is, a teen highschool black comedy. Heavy on the black. The two leads perfectly play their roles with just the right amount of tongue in cheek, while keeping it dead pan and straight in the most pivital moments. Just a great example of the genre.

Dumb & Dumber I nearly put on my list, but although I've not seen it since the late 90's, I have seen bits now and then on TV and didn't really engage with it on those occasions. Maybe I wouldn't like it now or maybe I just need to watch it all to get into it? Whatever the case, that alone made it feel uncomfortable on my list.

Amelie would've been really high on my list.... If I thought of it as a comedy. I bloody love that film. I liked Being John Malkovich in 1999 but I've not seen it since and don't know if I would now. It's the kind of thing I've grown to have very little time for now. I hope I would though.

Chaplin's quite the creative genius, but funny he ain't. Borat I've not seen but never cared for any of the sketches. I prefered Bruno, but the thought of a Bruno film may be even worse than the thought of a Borat film. Maybe if someone could splice Bruno into Pret A Porter that'd work for me?

What I keep hearing is if I participate/pay attention to the next countdown list, I'm going to end up bored and disappointed (in addition to disagreeing with the results ).

Superbad Never heard of it and I bet it won't stand the test of time.
It’s been 15 years already. I don’t think it’s going to be forgotten any time soon.

I like Superbad but not enough to vote for it. I’ve never seen A Fish Called Wanda.

Never really cared for "Superbad". I do like Jonah Hill now, but back then, no. Couple that with the dullness of Michael Cera, who I never cared for. Took me a few tries to get through it. Mclovin was the only bright spot.

" A Fish Called Wanda" was my #11. Was starting to get antsy because of not having a selection appear since the '70s. This is how to make a comedic crime film. Criss-cross, doublecross. Kline and Palin are both perfectly cast and the writing hilarious. Congrats to you mofos, for getting this one right.

what I really feel about this list now lol

Skip to 0:47 secs, having trouble time stamping it

Welcome to the Dance: My Favorite 20 High School Movies
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...02#post2413502

Yep, we're already stepping deep in top 50 and still the reveals are based on less than 10 ballots.

As far as I remember, in the 2000's countdown this line was crossed somewhere between #80 and #70.
As late as #41 and 42 there were films with fewer than 10 votes (with an almost identical number of voters): https://www.movieforums.com/communit...28#post2268828

For the All-Time Refresh #41 and 42 had 10 and 7 votes, respectively: https://www.movieforums.com/communit...55#post2162355

So at a glance, at least, this list appears to be quite typical of the lists in general.

Further edit: looking at the spreadsheet for the All-Time list, no movie on the Top 100 had 10 votes until #54 (Sunset Blvd). The highest-appearing movie to have fewer than 10 votes on the list was at #29 (LOTR: The Return of the King).

For the last 4 movies, I liked Amelie on release but didn't consider it. Modern Times is excellent, though I didn't vote for it.

I've never seen Superbad, but I did have A Fish Called Wanda on my list at #21. I was a fan when it came out and still laughed watching it again in the last year. Really fun screwball romp with a great cast and no wasted bits.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Superbad is a hilarious, if overlong, teen comedy. Cera and Hill are really good, but the McLovin parts are easily my faves, with and without the idiot cops.

My #17, A Fish Called Wanda, is probably my choice for the funniest non-animated film in the last 34 years and probably also the best film involving Python members. I realize that may be sacrilege, but it's really damn good. It has a cohesive structure which Python never really cared about, but it's just as funny, and then to top it off, the darn thing is sexy AND romantic to boot. The credit for this has to go to scripter/"true" director John Cleese. A funny footnote to this film is that Cleese always intended to direct the flick, but the studio wouldn't sign off on the insurance in case he screwed up in his first directorial effort, so Cleese enlisted 77-year-old veteran Charles Crichton (The Lavender Hill Mob) to "officially" direct his first feature in over 20 years. Crichton received a best director nomination for this film, although all he did was basically sit around and ask Cleese, "Why do you need me here, again?"

A Fish Called Wanda involves a heist which works out for the thieves but eventually goes wrong. It also involves an animal lover (Michael Palin) who is forced to try to murder a witness to the crime, but unfortunately, all he can seem to do is kill sweet, innocent pets. Two other members of the heist team are a fake brother and sister (Jamie Lee Curtis and the hilarious Kevin Kline) who are actually lovers, plus Otto (Kline) thinks he understands Nietzsche, but he's really just an underarm-sniffing idiot ("Don't call me stupid!"). When Wanda (Curtis) starts to fall for barrister Archie Leach (Cleese), who is involved in the case of another member of the gang, that's when the movie transforms from a laughfest to one of the more romantic films ever made.

I don't really want to go into the details of this hilarious film, but I can still remember showing it to my wife's 70-ish parents. There are a few F-words strewn about, and Otto has a few odd sexual proclivities, but to my delight, they smiled and laughed during the entire film... and they're from Bakersfield. I honestly believe that if you like Judd Apatow comedies, you'll love this. I also believe that a few of our members who don't especially like Apatow will also love this. It's a lovable film; true, it can be a bit cruel to animals, but remember this: NO ANIMALS WERE HARMED IN THE MAKING OF THIS FILM. My wife loves dogs, but I have never heard her laugh louder than what happens to some innocent dogs in this movie.

My List

11. Harold and Maude
13. One, Two, Three
16. It's Such A Beautiful Day
17. A Fish Called Wanda
25. Ruthless People

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Superbad is a hilarious, if overlong, teen comedy. Cera and Hill are really good, but the McLovin parts are easily my faves, with and without the idiot cops.

My #17, A Fish Called Wanda, is probably my choice for the funniest non-animated film in the last 34 years and probably also the best film involving Python members. I realize that may be sacrilege, but it's really damn good. It has a cohesive structure which Python never really cared about, but it's just as funny, and then to top it off, the darn thing is sexy AND romantic to boot. The credit for this has to go to scripter/"true" director John Cleese. A funny footnote to this film is that Cleese always intended to direct the flick, but the studio wouldn't sign off on the insurance in case he screwed up in his first directorial effort, so Cleese enlisted 77-year-old veteran Charles Crichton (The Lavender Hill Mob) to "officially" direct his first feature in over 20 years. Crichton received a best director nomination for this film, although all he did was basically sit around and ask Cleese, "Why do you need me here, again?"

A Fish Called Wanda involves a heist which works out for the thieves but eventually goes wrong. It also involves an animal lover (Michael Palin) who is forced to try to murder a witness to the crime, but unfortunately, all he can seem to do is kill sweet, innocent pets. Two other members of the heist team are a fake brother and sister (Jamie Lee Curtis and the hilarious Kevin Kline) who are actually lovers, plus Otto (Kline) thinks he understands Nietzsche, but he's really just an underarm-sniffing idiot ("Don't call me stupid!"). When Wanda (Curtis) starts to fall for barrister Archie Leach (Cleese), who is involved in the case of another member of the gang, that's when the movie transforms from a laughfest to one of the more romantic films ever made.

I don't really want to go into the details of this hilarious film, but I can still remember showing it to my wife's 70-ish parents. There are a few F-words strewn about, and Otto has a few odd sexual proclivities, but to my delight, they smiled and laughed during the entire film... and they're from Bakersfield. I honestly believe that if you like Judd Apatow comedies, you'll love this. I also believe that a few of our members who don't especially like Apatow will also love this. It's a lovable film; true, it can be a bit cruel to animals, but remember this: NO ANIMALS WERE HARMED IN THE MAKING OF THIS FILM. My wife loves dogs, but I have never heard her laugh louder than what happens to some innocent dogs in this movie.

My List

11. Harold and Maude
13. One, Two, Three
16. It's Such A Beautiful Day
17. A Fish Called Wanda
25. Ruthless People
Very nice, sweet writeup.

A Fish Called Wanda has always held a warm place in my heart. I honestly thought this one made my list but, unless my eyesight has gotten worse, I'm not finding it. Pity. It was in my initial sorting. As was Superbad, which was a bit too long to find time for a rewatch. Too, I had another movie that better fit my sensibilities that was in competition. McLovin' couldn't keep the spot.

HELLO, FISH! *manically slaps water's surface with a fly swatter*

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

Two okay first time watches but I have never gone back to them so don’t have a very strong opinion one way or the other.

Watched Clue last night to get back to 100%. As I expected I was 30 years late to enjoy this one much. There’s a bit of clever writing but never enough to invest me or tickle my funny bone.

I've never seen Superbad.

A Fish Called Wanda is my #16. A nice mix of polite (Archibald apologizing to Otto while hanging upside down) and brash (the various attempts to kill the dog, Wanda dressing down Otto for being daft) humor led to the film being guilty of being hilarious. It's a tough mix to pull off, one only proven by their follow-up Fierce Creatures.

A few of you might wonder (based on Amelie's appearance on the list) if I had snuck Priceless on here as well. It is charming and reminds me of Dirty Rotten Scoundrels. But alas, the answer is no. I chose my list based on how much and often a film made me laugh. And as much as I liked and reminded others about the joys of that one, it fell a bit short on that front.

My List:

9. Clue
16. A Fish Called Wanda

HM: Clueless, Happy Gilmore, Mean Girls