The Movie Forums Top 100 Comedies Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Haven't seen Heathers.

Harold and Maude was #6 on my ballot and it might've been higher if I had a chance to rewatch it before this countdown. Very powerful and very funny. Part of this is because some of its themes are highly relatable for me (excluding the 'staging fake suicides' bits ofc ) and both lead characters are very memorable. In regards to the Wes Anderson comparison, the characters in his films sometimes leave me cold, but Ashby's film is about as emotionally warm as a film can get for me.

4. To Be or Not To Be (#86)
6. Harold and Maude (#45)
12.Sherlock, Jr. (#56)
25. The Great Dictator (#50)

Victim of The Night
My Cousin Vinny is a movie we watched a lot when I was younger but I assumed it would not hold up. It does feel very of its time and yet...
We revisited this movie in April and to our surprise, it held up very, very well. I didn't put it on my list but it's a very enjoyable movie.
Obviously Pesci and Tomei are great, but I really enjoyed the performances of Lane Smith (the prosecuting attorney) and Fred Gwynne (the judge) very much as well.

Dirty Rotten Scoundrels was a movie I always thought was low and dumb. I was disappointed to see Michael Caine do this and it really helped cement my fairly low opinion of Steve Martin in the late 80s and 90s (though I really like him in some earlier stuff and L.A. Story is one of my favorite movies of all time).

Victim of The Night
Brazil is a movie I love. I love Brazil.
It is not on my list because it has never occurred to me that it was a comedy, and I don't mean to start the parsing discussion again, it just never occurred to me that way. To me it is a Dark Fantasy and a masterpiece.

I'd like to see Harold and Maude again, but I know I enjoyed it the one time I did. Except, unless I'm thinking of the wrong movie, there was a lot of Cat Stevens. Too much Cat Stevens makes me feel weird in a way I can't explain, but I don't like it.

Been awhile but I've always liked Heathers. Not a Winona Ryder fan but I do like Shannen Doherty.

I did vote for a movie featuring one of today's cast members.

Even with a broad definition of comedy, voting for Rosemary's Baby seems like a bold move.

I'm confuddled - wasn't the cat in Alien called Jonesey not Stevens?

Another day in which the pair of movies almost seem like they were designed to come out together.

Harold Maude came with too much cult classic baggage by the time I saw it. I really enjoyed Being There, which I saw a little under decades ago now. I briefly considered that for my ballot, but ultimately decided it had been too long, and only one viewing, so that got it cut (and there wasn't going to be a chance to get a rewatch in). This probably deserves a rewatch; weirdly I don't remember it being a dark comedy so much as being quirky and whimsical (blame the Wes Anderson comparisons, I guess). The suicides did make me laugh.

Heathers - Age-wise, I'm a 'tweener between Heathers and Clueless as the coming of age movie for my generation, which, given getting cable replays in those formative years before Clueless came out, I associate myself with the Heathers generation. I don't know what it says that between Heathers, Clueless, Mean Girls, and then I guess Easy-A, mine was the dark comedy with a serial killer. I hadn't seen this for over a decade when it came on Shudder of all streaming services a few years back (Why? Dark comedy with a serial killer, I guess? Not a horror movie, but admittedly doesn't feel out of place in a line-up of a lot of horror movie watching). I was really glad to see it held up from my youth unlike a lot of lighter fare.
- Why did I put it at #18 on my list?
- Because you're an idiot, Dad.
- Oh yeah, that's it.

1. It's Such a Beautiful Day (2012) (#61)
4. House (1977) (#89)
6. Brazil (1985) (#47)
12. Fargo (1996) (#97?)
18. Heathers (1989) (#46)
21. Evil Dead II (1987) (#93)
23. Best in Show (2000) (#74)

25. The Phantom of Liberty (1974) (1 pointer)

Seen: 36/56 (64.2857%)

Waaaat when did I miss this??

*looks into it*

I get the point of it, but this is a weird inclusion and it's not terribly surprising that I never got the connection. From what I'm reading this only took place at Auschwitz, only started in 1941, and only 400,000 or so numbers were issued. Maude is nearly 80 in the movie, looks like she has a 7 digit number, and considering Auschwitz's prisoner nationalities...

She has no trace of an accent. That is just such an incredible stretch for the writers to squeeze in "oh by the way she was also at Auschwitz". Who is she, Forrest Gump?
I'm confused by this response. I forgot this detail of the movie (or maybe I missed it, but I suspect it wouldn't have been a subtle shot), but if they showed a tattoo on her wrist, that has one definitive implication. (Which if there is one you'd presume it's a number, because given that era, what else would it be).

ETA: I guess my confusion is, is there a generational or geographic thing where there are people who are unaware of what that clearly signifies to Americans (at least above a certain age...).

The Holocaust tattoo scene is one of the few I remember from the film, I don’t think it’s fair to say it’s such a big stretch. I met a few people with the tattoo in 2020, if she went as a child very likely that she could find refugee in the UK and have little to no accent.

Saw both these years ago and had them both at
but my memeory doesn’t serve me well enough to give an opinion now.

My Cousin Vinny is a movie we watched a lot when I was younger but I assumed it would not hold up. It does feel very of its time and yet...
We revisited this movie in April and to our surprise, it held up very, very well. I didn't put it on my list but it's a very enjoyable movie.
Obviously Pesci and Tomei are great, but I really enjoyed the performances of Lane Smith (the prosecuting attorney) and Fred Gwynne (the judge) very much as well.

Dirty Rotten Scoundrels was a movie I always thought was low and dumb. I was disappointed to see Michael Caine do this and it really helped cement my fairly low opinion of Steve Martin in the late 80s and 90s (though I really like him in some earlier stuff and L.A. Story is one of my favorite movies of all time).
What’s great about Lane Smith’s character in My Cousin Vinny is they easily could have made him be the villain but they don’t. He’s just a good prosecutor with a competitive side. Vinny sabotages himself so often that the movie doesn’t need a bad guy.

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence
Harold and Maude has been in my watch list for years. Still not seen.
---

Heathers - I've came across this film browsing the TV channels about a decade or more ago. Although I know most movies featuring Ryder or Slater because I like them both, this one was completely unknown title for me.
Regular high school movie. I remember nothing fun in it.

Top 100 seen 21/56.
(seen one pointers 4/42 • )
--
My list:
1. The Gold Rush (1925) [#83.]
5. The Kid (1921) [#88.]
7. One, Two, Three (1961) [#85.]

Heathers was the film I was beating myself up for not remembering until after the deadline. This jet black comedy of manners and murder in a high school has lots of quotable lines and is willing to go down some dark places. Glad it made it.

Haven't seen Harold and Maude. But definitely need to get on that.

I'd like to see Harold and Maude again, but I know I enjoyed it the one time I did. Except, unless I'm thinking of the wrong movie, there was a lot of Cat Stevens. Too much Cat Stevens makes me feel weird in a way I can't explain, but I don't like it.

Been awhile but I've always liked Heathers. Not a Winona Ryder fan but I do like Shannen Doherty.

Bram Stoker's Dracula is a bold move for sure. But between the accents from Keanu and Cary Elwes, I can see it.

Not much of a fan of this pair but I get that they both have a significant following so surely they deserve a place on this list.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."