The Movie Forums Top 100 Comedies Countdown

→ in
Tools    

This has been my contribution to the countdown so far...

Anyway, I've seen both of the last entries, but none of them made my list.

I haven't seen Big Trouble in Little China probably since the late 80s or early 90s. I barely remember anything other than the Chinese guy that blows himself with air. I need to revisit it.

Napoleon Dynamite I saw about 10 years ago, remember liking it, but that's it. Haven't felt like revisiting it.

Seen: 21/30

My ballot:  

I'm sure I must have seen Big Trouble In Little China back in the day but I just watched the trailer and remember absolutely none of it so I'll certainly not count it as watched - it looks the type of thing that I'd probably find 'ok'. Never seen Napoleon Dynamite and have never had any desire to change that.

Seen: 15/30

I’m going to give Big Trouble a proper watch tonight because I can’t be 100% sure. I think I watched it late 80’s, but a rewatch is in order.

I find Napoleon Dynamite really funny. Especially if I get talking about it with someone. Pretty iconic too. Maybe should have considered it, but I don’t think it would have knocked anything off.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé

Big Trouble in Little China

Jack Burton: You can go off and rule the universe from beyond the grave.
Lo Pan: Indeed!
Jack Burton: Or check into a psycho ward, whichever comes first, huh?

A truly chilling and biting satire.

Yeah, I know, I couldn't keep a straight face while typing that lol

Having fun with the Chinese Fantasy/Kung Fu and the All Muscle/Not Much Brains/Overabundance of Ego, Kurt Russell is a helluva fun watch as Jack Burton. The Truck Driving, Self-Praising Wisdom Spewing Bad @ss that somehow saves the day because he doesn't understand how to lose. I've sometimes wondered if Bruce Campbell took notes while fine-tuning his Ash character for Evil Dead's Army of Darkness.
Probably not, but it's an amusing theory.

Napolean Dynamite

Grandma: How was school?
Napoleon Dynamite: The worst day of my life, what do you think?

Jon Heder embraces his Inner Nerd and gives him his Day in the Sun and awkwardness ensues.

Watched: 24 out of 30 (80%)
25. Megamind (2010) One Pointer

One Pointers: 18 out of 42 (40.47%)

Big Trouble in Little China never really clicked with me. Everything about it is just off.

Napoleon Dynamite made my list. It’s so bizarre and awkward and funny but also really warm and sweet. “How much you wanna bet I can throw a football over them mountains?”

Big Trouble in Little China is great by any standards, as long as one isn't dead inside and can embrace all the weirdness and irreverence. John Carpenter continues to step outside of his wheelhouse to great success (but not for much longer, sadly) and its mix of kung fu and horror and action, all the while brusquely undoing the myth of the American Hero, hits all the right notes. A lot of quality fun, and that is all it really wants to be.

Napolean Dynamite gets a lot of heat, and it's not hard to see why. It burrows itself deep into its completely ambivalent tone, where everything is absurd and nothing matters. And then to have the whole film guided by the sensibilities of one of the most unlikeable and irritating main characters in history, a one note performance that Jon Heder does not budge from for almost the entirity of the movie, is almost designed to try the patience of those who are going to hate it anyways. But, as limited as it appeal is, it definitely has its moments. Especially those that shoot themselves deep into some black hole of utter geekdom where they can't even possibly return from.

Neither made my list though, nor were really in contention.

Have seen so far: 17 - Big Trouble in Little China - Watched this movie recently for the first time and didn't care for it
Napoleon Dynamite - Never cared for this movie really

Have not seen so far: 13

Welcome to the Dance: My Favorite 20 High School Movies
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...02#post2413502

Napoleon Dyanmite is certainly very reminiscent of its time, and felt to be every cultural reference of my elementary school circle. I don’t remember being able to watch it till I was around 12, and a few times since then. There’s definitely a soothing prescense to the film, and while it’s not laugh out loud funny it does have its share of Moments

Haven’t seen the other

Victim of The Night
I remember at least one person in this thread said they felt Keaton was miscast and it would have benefitted from having Jim Carrey in the role.
I think there may have been one or two other people before that that also said they felt Keaton's performance... something. I just remember scratching my head at those comments, and then tried mentally picturing Jim Carrey in an early Tim Burton movie and immediately turned off that channel.
Oh my god. Jim Carrey would ruin this movie. Too much of a comedian and not enough of an actor. And I'm not saying Carrey can't act I'm saying that, unlike Keaton, for whom comedy is merely a strong facet of his overall acting portfolio, Carrey is really a comedian who can also act at times. He would have overdone it and turned it into The Mask and that would have been a tragedy.

Victim of The Night
In fairness, if they had ever remade Beetlejuice, I imagine Carrey would be at the top of the list for recasting him. Which, yes, would be awful. But I think there is a clear lineage between what Keaton was doing with the characters theatrical mannerisms and larger than life personality and constant monologuing, and the endless parade of cartoony grotesqueries Carrey has littered his career with. The important difference though is Keaton used these mannerisms and eccentricities to make a compelling character, whereas with Carrey you would always get the sense that he knows a camera is watching and just can't help peacocking for it. It wouldn't work. Just like his attempt at a Grinch was dreadfully awfully pathetically terrible. His performances just suck up all the oxygen in the room and give nothing back.

Now, this isn't to say I don't appreciate a small handful of things Carrey has done. Or to say that I particularly like Beetlejuice, the movie (I tolerate it because of its brilliant premise, but I'm pretty vocal about disliking nearly everything Burton has ever done). But Carrey in that film would have made it absolutely cringe inducing. And, yes, channel turning.
Extremely well put.

Victim of The Night
This has been my contribution to the countdown so far...

Anyway, I've seen both of the last entries, but none of them made my list.

I haven't seen Big Trouble in Little China probably since the late 80s or early 90s. I barely remember anything other than the Chinese guy that blows himself with air. I need to revisit it.

Napoleon Dynamite I saw about 10 years ago, remember liking it, but that's it. Haven't felt like revisiting it.

Seen: 21/30
I also have yet to land a film on the list and I have seen 22/30. So, cheers.
That said, I still think at least 20 if not 23, 24, or my entire list will end up on here as we get down to the nitty-gritty.

Victim of The Night
Napoleon Dynamite is a funny one for me in that I thought it was amusing enough when I saw it and yet not only have I never re-watched it, the idea of re-watching it seems like a chore to me.
I don't exactly know why but that's how I feel about the film.

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence
I know Big Trouble in Little China only as a name. There is some minimal probability that I've seen some parts on telly a long time ago.

My radar usually skips releases like Napoleon Dynamite.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
I did not like Napoleon Dynamite when I first watched it, although many of my friends thought it was brilliant. Then watched it again and found it very funny. I don't know what this says about me or the film or the different and strange ways comedy can work, but there you go. Vote for Pedro.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Never considered either although I like both. Big Trouble in Little China plays out as a crazy Indiana Jones-type adventure with some wacko bits. Napoleon Dynamite is a slacker celebration with a very lo-pro sense of humor.

Napolean Dynamite has always been a big miss for me. Was super popular when it came out, I watched it, and I was unamused. There's just an extreme level of deadpan humor that's too real to be funny, and entire character of Napolean, who's indistinguishable from a functioning autistic kid, just doesn't make me laugh. I had friends like this growing up, and their mannerisms weren't a punchline to me.

Similarly, I've never been big on The Office, because despite occasional moments (mostly between Jim and Dwight), it's just too often the sort of workplace bullshit I'm already too familiar with. Incompetent biased boss with unrealistic expectations that makes the entire job uncomfortable for everybody? Boy that's real knee-slapper. Next tell me the one about the miscarriage.

I feel like there's a pretty strong distinction between this and one of my favorite moments in Family Guy where Peter's fantasies about a harmless car crash are met by some guy who describes a guy who "messed his neck up" in a "fender bender going 5 miles per hour" (timestamp 1:56).

It's entirely plausible and the deadpan reality check is in such extreme contrast to the crazy action setpiece Peter wants, that I find it funny. It's a sort of "too-real" reality meeting movie logic that makes it memorable, but I can't say the same of Napolean Dynamite.

Big Trouble in Little China - I'm a big fan of, and find it to be an incredibly fun watch. It didn't make my ballot, but was in contention for at least the spot that ultimately went to Evil Dead II (along with another film) and another unnamed spot that ultimately ended up going to a different John Carpenter film. It was a toss up, type of cut.

Napolean Dynamite - Despite all the memes and apparent love online for this movie in the mid-00s, I'd just see screen-caps, see quotes, and just think, "I don't think this movie is going to be for me." I don't know why, it was just a gut feeling. I've never felt the need to go back and check.

Seen 23/30
No ballot updates.