Ufc

Tools    

Keep on Rockin in the Free World
I personally dont care whether it does awesome ratings or not. part of me secretly hopes it doesnt tbph.

I concur. GSP expertly uses his athleticism and skill set to offset his opponents' strengths and punish them for their weaknesses. And to consistently do that at the highest level in MMA, where long win streaks (10+ fights) are a rarity, deserves high praise. I do however fear for him when he ages. He relies a little TOO much on him being the more athletic fighter, on him having the better reflexes and speed. Once those assets erode, he's going to have to make up for them somehow and I'm not sure he can do that.
I think St Pierre will dominate until his late 30's, assuming he stays in the game that long. His safety first approach is allowing him to have a long and tidy career. He rarely takes damage and I although his speed with decline a bit, it won't be enough that it dramatically reduces his ability to the the fight to the ground, which is where his strengths are at his current level.

Still haven't seen the Pacman fight, but I heard he got a nice gift wrapped decision.

Kimbo > UFC.

It's almost impossible to build a really huge MMA star, because they just can't get win streaks going. There's GSP and Anderson, but not being American probably hurts them. They also don't have real crossover power to reach the casual fans. It's a bit sad to see that the UFC's biggest star is a former WWE wrestler who is about as private about his personal life as you can get. They won't ever breed stars like Pacquiao or Mayweather. The only one who could potentially be huge is Jon Jones, because he could transition to the heavyweights. This isn't to spark a boxing vs MMA debate, but it's just the reality.

I'm going through a little 'meh' phase when it comes to MMA.

I think part of the problem is over exposure. I love the idea that Dan White and the Ferittas are driving an aggressive engine, but at the same time, it does feel like the MMA scene is being shoved down peoples throats a bit. I mean, THREE PPVs in the space of a month? Seriously? Personally, I don't mind as i'm a big fan and there is always 2 or 3 match ups that i'm interested in, but I think it's obvious that MMA seems a little TOO desperate to be mainstream, a little too desperate to become a global phenomenon, so I think that you and others may be feeling the withdrawal symptoms from that.

The star thing is complicated. Like you said, it's very hard for most fighters to hold a 8-10 fight winning streak, and the ones with high winning streaks don't have that much of a 'fan friendly' style, like Fitch for example. That guy has a terrific record with his one loss coming to the 2nd p4p fighter in the world. But he is a so-called 'lay and prayer' and Dana doesn't like him so he doesn't get marketed highly.

My problem is that with growing fame and a wider audience comes more non-fight pressures on the fighters and more politics than ever before. Carlos Conduit being made to sit and wait for a title shot that was handed to him after the Penn/Nick fight; Rashad Evans having his title shot cancelled AGAIN all because Dana wants JBJ on the Toronto card. I think they need to slow down a little and understand that most true fans don't feel the need to watch a wild Bonnar/Griffin style brawl for 3-5 rounds.

Still haven't seen the Pacman fight, but I heard he got a nice gift wrapped decision.
It was disgusting. Me and some friends stayed up all night to watch it, they ALL said Pacquiao was going to smash Marquez, arguing he was too old, too slow, didn't have enough power at welter, didn't train properly (Kellerman claimed that) and that Pacquiao was more complete defensively now. I just said: Styles make fights and nothing I have seen from Pac from 2008-2011 has made me reconsider my thinking process s to how a fight between JMM and Pac would pan out. They said I was crazy. Heck, every boxing 'expert' and writer thought JMM had little to no chance.

They were wrong. I had Marquez winning 116-112. When it was over, everyone in the room was quiet and bewildered, because they're big Pacquiao fans. They thought for sure he had lost. And when Buffer read that score 115-113, one of them said "damn, they gave Pac too much rounds, he didn't win 5". And then Buffer read "and still WBO welterweight champion"... No one in that room thought Manny won. It's a paper victory.

This is the kind of stuff that will breed contempt and bitterness for an entire lifetime. JMM could go down the same path as Marvin Hagler. He's talked about retiring and I wouldn't blame him.

I think St Pierre will dominate until his late 30's, assuming he stays in the game that long. His safety first approach is allowing him to have a long and tidy career. He rarely takes damage and I although his speed with decline a bit, it won't be enough that it dramatically reduces his ability to the the fight to the ground, which is where his strengths are at his current level.

its not safety first, its successfully defend the belt and remain champion first.

Well lets be honest, he still uses the safest possible strategy in order to remain champion. I have no problem with this unlike most people, he is a dominant fighter and for my money one of the greatest of all time, but he takes little to no risks and that's one of the reasons why he is successful.

by safest possible strategy, do you mean he imposes his will on his opponent, takes him down at will and grounds and pounds, all the while sustaining no damage?

I fail to see the criticism in that.

Matt Hughes did the same thing, i dont recall him getting tagged with the boring label.

i dont get it.

Like I said before, I don't see a problem with that myself. Sure, it makes him predictable and because of how strong his game is, it makes some title fights less appealing, but I wouldn't say he is boring either, but most people do. It doesn't really matter though, does it? He's a winner and he'll go down as one of the greats.

Wow, didn't think I would see a fight to rival Edgar vs Maynard 2 and 3 but I think I just saw it with Hendo vs Shogun. Incredible fight. Must see for anyone, and Brods, I don't think you'll be in a meh stage with MMA after watching it!

Wow from me aswel, Great card, one of the best cards ever. I was so pumped watching this event and Henderson and Shogun wow. Ime going to say this tho.. it was a great fight, but Both guys didn't look that impressive if you ask me. Both Hendo and shogun gassed pretty early on and both looked abit sloppy, Jones would run through either, but still great to watch.

I'm with Lud. That wasn't a great fight by any measure. Hendo dominated Shogun (who already started gassing mid round 2) for 3 rounds. I thought Rua was going to have a heart-attack at the end of the third round, he looked incredibly spent when he was leaning on Hendo against the cage. Then, Hendo gassed even worse than Shogun. Both guys were running on fumes since round 4, Shogun's just simmered longer than Hendo's, who was dead tired in round 5. I scored it a draw.

Wanna see a really great fight? Watch Alvarez - Chandler, also from Saturday night. That's my candidate for fight of the year.

I'm with Lud. That wasn't a great fight by any measure. Hendo dominated Shogun (who already started gassing mid round 2) for 3 rounds. I thought Rua was going to have a heart-attack at the end of the third round, he looked incredibly spent when he was leaning on Hendo against the cage. Then, Hendo gassed even worse than Shogun. Both guys were running on fumes since round 4, Shogun's just simmered longer than Hendo's, who was dead tired in round 5. I scored it a draw.
Rua doesn't have the best conditioning, true. And I was surprised at Hendo's lack of gas tank after the 3rd round, but Shogun dug pretty damn deep and wasn't too far from finishing the fight during the 5th round. Like you said, he looked like he was going to drop dead, but somehow he fought back hard. The guy has a lot more heart than I thought he did. Perhaps it's part of his maturity as a fighter, he has turned 30 after all. I scored it for Hendo as round 3 was a 10-8 in my opinion.

Wanna see a really great fight? Watch Alvarez - Chandler, also from Saturday night. That's my candidate for fight of the year.
Still need to watch that fight. Heard great things. I missed most of the prelims.

Yeah not sh**** on ufc's event but Alvarez vs chandler was on another level. Alvarez and Chandler made rua and Dan Henderson match seem like nothing.

Here you go Prestige check it out.

Well if Jones gets past machida which i think he will then the path looks clear for Dan Henderson. Looks like Rashad vs Davis could be on the cards again. What do you guys think of Davis and would you like to see Jones Vs Davis?.

Rashad should just get his shot. The guy is legit. But I hope my boy Machida drags Jones into deep waters with his elusive hit & run style.

Rashad should just get his shot. The guy is legit. But I hope my boy Machida drags Jones into deep waters with his elusive hit & run style.
I think Jones is gonna have an easy time with machida yanno Brod's. I dont think that the in and out approach will work with jones, and machida isn't going to be able to keep that distance.

I know you can't stand the Nick 'n' Nate, Brods, but that was a fun fight from Nate against Cerrone, wasn't it?

Yeah, Cerrone got schooled. No defense... He's essentially just a go-forward fighter and neglects the boxing fundamentals of being able to create an offense with defense in mind.

And Brock wanted out. There was no fight left in him. He came to pick up a paycheck.