11.22.63 (2016)

Tools    

11.22.63 (2016)

We've watched the first half of this 8 part miniseries. Despite some triteness in its characterizations and settings, the series holds one's interest due to the unusual premise: that a man, given the opportunity, is tasked with going back in time in an attempt to prevent the assassination of JFK.

So far some of the actual characters who participated in the historic assassination conspiracy are faithfully represented. It will be interesting to see how close they come to the actual facts generally agreed upon by researchers.

The acting is nothing special, although I'm always interested in any part done by the veteran Chris Cooper. James Franco as the protagonist, and Sarah Gordon as his love interest do creditable work in this thriller.

This could be a memorable miniseries. It will depend upon how they finish out the last half.

~Doc

11.22.63 (2016)

...the series holds one's interest due to the unusual premise: that a man, given the opportunity, is tasked with going back in time in an attempt to prevent the assassination of JFK.
Apparently the writers didn't watch Star Trek, as you never want to change the timeline.

So far some of the actual characters who participated in the historic assassination conspiracy are faithfully represented. It will be interesting to see how close they come to the actual facts generally agreed upon by researchers.
Hint: Oswald did it.

Have sat through the entirety of this show, as well as listened to the audiobook numerous times. There are some significant deviations between the 2, not least of which that Jake only goes back to 1960, instead of 1958 in the book, so naturally the novel does have a lot more to fill in and deal with aside from trying to prevent the Kennedy assassination, so once you've done with the show would highly recommend the book also, as that is probably my favourite Stephen King novel.

Won't say anything about the show for now though, but will be more than happy to comment further once you're done.

Heh, heh. Well that would be the line I'd expect the story to take. However, not to hijack the thread, but Oswald never fired a shot that day, nor did he have anything to do with Kennedy's assassination. He was, as he proclaimed, "a patsy".

Heh, heh. Well that would be the line I'd expect the story to take. However, not to hijack the thread, but Oswald never fired a shot that day, nor did he have anything to do with Kennedy's assassination. He was, as he proclaimed, "a patsy".
OK

The Adventure Starts Here!
Apparently the writers didn't watch Star Trek, as you never want to change the timeline.

Hint-hint: A Secret Service agent accidentally fired the kill shot, though.

Well, the 5th episode almost derailed the whole shee-bang for me, what with Sadie's husband going all wacko slasher. But now that the cat is out of the bag to Sadie, maybe the show will get back on track..

Finished up the series last night. Mulling it over in hindsight, the story left a good impression on me. They could have ended it in a variety of different ways, and although I would have ended it differently, they did provide a somewhat gratifying conclusion.

The detractions for me were the dialogue writing, and to a lesser degree the exaggerated colorful settings of the 1960s era: the clothing, the shops. The style of many of the cars looked like street rods rather than the normal look of 1960 era automobiles. That's a common mistake when filmmakers represent the 1950s/60s.

The dialogue was at its most iffy when it came to the protagonist's, Jake Epping/Anderson. Oftentimes it seems halting, with too much spacing; and sometimes disjointed, which must have made it difficult to act. The end result was that James Franco seemed to be an ineffectual actor, even though he's been fine in other productions. Perhaps the casting could have been better.

Anyway it was an excellent premise for a story, which held one's interest most all the way through. We can be sure that there won't be a sequel...

~Doc

James Franco has fallen off the map in the last few years following those sexual harassment allegations. It's funny. He won the Golden Globe for Best Actor in 2017 for Disaster Artist, and then the allegations came out, he was snubbed by the Academy, and then he disappeared. Same thing happened with Casey Affleck after he won the Oscar for Manchester By The Sea.
“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

The two best things about this show are Sarah Gadon and the Sam Cooke song featured in one of the episodes.
You said it, JC! Sarah Gordon is gorgeous!

The Sam Cooke songs were: "Nothing Can Change This Love", and "Bring It Home To Me". I kept thinking they used Cooke's "You Send Me", but that's probably because that's my favorite song of his. One of the best of the '50s.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses

Yup.