'Dark' [Netflix]

Tools    

Anybody watching this?

It's a German drama with elements of crime / the supernatural and mystery. Feels like a cross between Scandi-noir and Stranger Things.

I'm through 3 episodes and thoroughly enjoying it.

Unregistered User
There so much these days to chose from in terms of series. This is on my watchlist but I've just started Black Mirror. I'll get to it asap. I think we have quite similar taste in most things so I'm glad you're enjoying it.

This really is very addictive, and possibly one of the most gorgeous looking tv shows I have ever seen.

Agreed. I absolutely relished my time with this series, and I am going to go back and re-watch it again sometime soon. Really glad that I had switched to the German version before I even started it.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Finished it last weekend after starting over the holiday break. I can't tell you how confused I was listening to English overdub, unaware that it was English overdub. We had to start over EP1 the next day thinking audio was out of sync Of course it made more sense then.

I agree that it is gorgeously composed. I enjoyed the soundtrack as well. Tricky little story line that had only a few low points, but all in all I would give season 1

While I would have been happy for a semi-unfulfilled closer had this only been a 1-off season event, I am still looking forward to where they may take the story down the road. For context, I would have totally been OK had HBO left Westworld as it ended. The season was strong and odd enough throughout that I really did not need full closer. Same vibe here.

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

Finished it last weekend after starting over the holiday break. I can't tell you how confused I was listening to English overdub, unaware that it was English overdub. We had to start over EP1 the next day thinking audio was out of sync Of course it made more sense then.

I agree that it is gorgeously composed. I enjoyed the soundtrack as well. Tricky little story line that had only a few low points, but all in all I would give season 1

While I would have been happy for a semi-unfulfilled closer had this only been a 1-off season event, I am still looking forward to where they may take the story down the road. For context, I would have totally been OK had HBO left Westworld as it ended. The season was strong and odd enough throughout that I really did not need full closer. Same vibe here.
Good to know it continues at this level.

I wasn't a fan of Westworld Season 1 so not really bothered about seeing more of it.

I watched it and liked it. A bit dreary at times but it was worthwhile. The ending was sort of . I wish I had the character map above sooner. It was hard to keep track of all of the people.

Finished this a week or two ago. Pretty good! But I have to say (spoilery, though not incredibly)...

...the voiceover early on was not only needless, but actively undercut a lot of the revelations that came later. One or two of the revelations, in particular, would've been much harder to guess, except the narration primes you to start thinking in those terms early on. And it seems to give away this surprise without any corresponding benefit. The show is pretty twisty and turny, so perhaps they figured it would help situate people better...but I don't think it did. To whatever degree it is difficult to follow, it's because of the sheer number of characters, not the concept itself, so telling people the general nature of what's coming doesn't help.

Moreover, if they hadn't tipped their hand, the surprise would've been particularly delightful, because it would've been surprising without being unfair. That's the balancing act with any revelation: it has to surprise you and feel like something you should have figured out, or at least something that seems obvious once you know about it. In this case, it would've seemed more surprising than it was because the show "feels" like dramatic horror, and not sci-fi, even though there's nothing that says sci-fi can't be shot the way this is shot, or emphasize the kinds of character work this show emphasizes. It would've turned our preconceptions about the aesthetics of each genre against us, which is completely fair.

Anyway, good show, but definitely a bit missed opportunity there.

After a couple of episodes, my wife and I started to wonder how on earth something like this could continue past one season (if it is indeed renewed), but obviously it goes in some pretty bold places near the end that make that possibility a lot easier to imagine. Definitely hoping for a renewal.

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”
I fell into the hole yesterday. I have two episodes left, but I think it is great. There are some thin spots with the plot, but it doesn't deter from how much I enjoyed it. I still don't quite understand who the Stranger is, but I will inhale the wiki page when I finish it.

It does look great. I immediately said this doesn't look American and that's a great thing. I love the different "costumes" and "hairstyles" and the music. The music. Wow. What a great scene at the end of E3 with this music. Spellbound and hypnotized.

Agnes Obel - Familiar

One of the first things that struck me was that Ulrich could be Mads brother. The Real Mads.

Turns out he has a little brother on the show, named Mads.

Finished the final 2 episodes...

WARNING: spoilers below
This jumped ahead of Stranger Things S2 and multiple seasons of Got, as far as anticipation for the next season goes. Why? You don't really get any answers. The black hole is nice, but that fell out of the air like a dead bird. I wasn't expecting it, so there was no build up to really appreciate it.

- who built / dug / magically-spiritually materialized the tunnels?
- Noah. Anything would be nice. Gives me a smell of a Brother Justin.
- Mikkel-Michael never met young Mikkel? Why not? What does he learn or know of to not interfere? Or is it just gonna get a no-explanation treatment?
- the welded door?
- the barrels?
- the cellar in the cabin. Is it the Wallpapered Room?
- Helge. Was he really d.e.d. and got revived or not? I'm guessing dead, but how did he re-animate?
-post apocalyptic rag people future...Really the only complaint that bothers me. I may not be fatigued of comic movies yet, but post apocalypto dirto no bueno, no mas.

These questions won't stop. I would love to hear others thoughts.

I realize after the fact they are playing the long game. I still would have liked a bit of a resolution to something.

... What a great scene at the end of E3 with this music. Spellbound and hypnotized.

Agnes Obel - Familiar

So, I'm trying to think of something to watch and all I wanna do is re-watch Dark. Started thinking about this song and listened to it for the umpteenth time . Internet discovery team deployed in hope of finding out who the male singer is...He isn't!

It's her voice using a bunch of technology!