"Thank God"

Tools    

there's a frog in my snake oil
Originally Posted by Austruck
It's not all that weird to be that way, either. Not yet anyway.
There'll be a drought of religious people in the future?

(is this some veiled reference to the Pope appearing to smile on condoms? )

The Adventure Starts Here!
I don't follow you. I was just saying that those of us who do worship God (and don't just use phrases like "Thank God" mindlessly) aren't necessarily weird.

Dat's all.

P.S. I'm not Catholic, so I don't get the Pope question. ??

there's a frog in my snake oil
I got that bit. I was just intrigued by the "Not yet anyway" bit. It suggested to me you felt such observances were in decline and would be considered weird/abnormal in the future.

I was trying to tease out some more details. It seems i only managed to tease

The Pope bit was just a wee nonsense-newscrawl to round off the post

Originally Posted by SamsoniteDelilah
Does it bother you when a person uses a phrase like "thank god"?
On another forum, the topic of masturbation came up. My comment was "Thank God for the opposable thumb." Maybe that wasn't proper to say since I'm an atheist but screw em if they don't like it.

I never say "God bless you." IMO, that's a sentiment reserved for theists. I don't say gesundheit either since people might question why I didn't say God bless you.

I do think "Thank God for bla bla bla" is a fairly generic comment that anyone can use.
My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius, commander of the Armies of the North, General of the Felix Legions, loyal servant to the true emperor, Marcus Aurelius. Father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife. And I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
I don't believe in god, so I wouldn't say "thank god"...but it wouldn't offend me if someone else did, it isn't usually meant literally. I know people who say "thank f8ck", which could be seen as more offensive!

You ready? You look ready.
Originally Posted by Twain
I do think "Thank God for bla bla bla" is a fairly generic comment that anyone can use.
I'm atheist but I find myself thanking God for so many wonderfully things.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza