22nd Hall of Fame

Tools    

Has anyone been able to find Genocide yet?
That's a good question. I just did a quick look and couldn't find it. I do know that IMDB list it as 1982 and not 1981.

If anyone can find a free link let us know.

The trick is not minding
I just did a deeper search and still couldn't find a free link for Genocide
@Wyldesyde19 Do you have a free link for it?
I’ll look but if it is too difficult to find, I can change my nomination if necessary. I don’t want this to be a pain for everyone to find, and these should be easy to watch regardless.

INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS

SPOILERS AHEAD
This wasn’t the first Tarantino film I ever saw or found fascinating, but it was the one that made me fall in love with his films and had me impatiently waiting the next one. And while it doesn’t work as well for me anymore, I can’t deny the entertainment value completely or the level of craftmanship on display in selected scenes. It might be a bit of a mess in both style, storytelling and direction, but it keeps me watching and it has a few key scenes that really stands out to me.

The opening scene seems to be a standout even for those who can’t stand the film and for those who stand by it. And I understand why, because while it is a 101 exercise on how to build suspense, the one on one conversation is carefully crafted, and the filmmaking finds a nice balance between playful and skillful. As always with Tarantino, this scene oozes atmosphere already by the arrival of the Nazis, the cue of the music and the movement of the sheet that sets everything in motion. Hans Landa is perfectly portrayed by Christoph Waltz and the character is one of the main reasons to see this film. This whimsy, well-spoken and well-mannered maniac is a joy to watch every time he tortures a person merely by engaging in conversation. The opening scene has a slow burning build-up – both in scene establishment, spoken dialogue and camera movements. The way the camera travels to the other side of the table, once the tables truly begin to turn, and then below the floorboards revealing the hidden Jews is wonderfully executed.

But after that the film never quite finds the same footing – and like Bridget von Hammersmark, her broken leg and their breakneck plan later in the movie, the scenes and sequences sometimes seem thought up and put together on the spot. Maybe more well written and well executed than any other director would be able to do it, but the script that was once considered to be made into a mini-series certainly feels like an episodic pop-up book at times. Almost every scene jumps at you with everything there is to give – guns blazing, blood splattering, dialogue speeding away – but the transitions in between does feel to have been butchered either in editing or even before that. There seems to be a grander story somewhere in here that would make all these scenes flow better. Sure, Tarantino is not new to episodic, multi-plotted movies, but the scale just seems so much bigger in ‘Inglourious Basterds’ than, say, ‘Pulp Fiction’. In a way, he does pull it off better than expected, but there is also something about the tonal or thematic differences between each storyline or character arc that just doesn’t mix as well as it could or should have.

The more I think about the film, the more it bothers me, but once the film is operating at the highest level, I momentarily forget the faults. While it almost seems too much of “the good stuff” to have two lengthy scenes of dialogue-driven, slow-burning build-ups to death and destruction, the opening scene and the tavern scene are still both very, very entertaining. The dialogue flows rapidly and the blood eventually too, but again I can’t help but feel Tarantino is treading waters a little longer than needed be. He does everything extremely well, with great confidence and perhaps an even greater ego, but at close to half an hour worth of characters playing card games, playing mind games and eventually paying the price, is perhaps a bit much – especially when your opening scene already runs close to twenty minutes and is built on many of the same principles.

The climax of the film is fun, but also drops a lot on the floor in favor of fiery entertainment. It never bothered me as much as it did this time, but there is absolutely no security present at a screening where Hitler himself and the entire upper rank is present as well. Two guards up on the first floor all the way to the side, but no guards in the foyer, no guards guarding the main entrance to the screening and not a single guard outside the very theater… even for a movie that has Hitler literally exploding into pieces that is still pushing it for me. Also, as a side note, I feel ‘Nation’s Pride’ is the kind of movie Quentin wants people to make in his honor as well (but with a lot more feet).

I don’t want to sound self-indulgent myself by saying the same thing over and over again so I will just end it here. I really like this film, because it is so much fun and I find a fair number of scenes to be really great on their own, but with the film itself feeling a little wobbly as a whole. The film itself is flawed, but a lot of elements within is executed flawlessly. I just wish Tarantino had made it a mini-series.

I'm not seeing an option to watch it with ads, just a link to Amazon Prime. Is it something only available in the US?
I can't find it either unfortunately.

I'm not seeing an option to watch it with ads, just a link to Amazon Prime. Is it something only available in the US?
Possibly? I'm not sure.

When I bring up the movie's page on IMDb, there's a big yellow button next to the poster that says "Watch Free On IMDb TV."

When I bring up the movie's page on IMDb, there's a big yellow button next to the poster that says "Watch Free On IMDb TV."
No, that's not available to me. There's just a blue link to Amazon Prime. If I click the little dots for "more", there are no other options.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	64544  

The trick is not minding
If this proves too difficult for some, I am not adverse to changing my nomination to make it easier for all to view.
This should be fun for all involved, and I know from recent experience that quality on the net can hinder the progresss. I don’t want to take away from everyone’s enjoyment, afterall.
I have no issue with doing so. Just let me know.

Up to you, Wylde.

I already started it on my lunch break and it's pretty good so far so I'll end up finishing it either way.

The trick is not minding
I’ll wait to hear what everyone else wants to do, and more importantly, Raul.

Edit: regardless what is decided, I hope you do enjoy it Miss Vicky

As long as you don’t pick a 3 hour film I’m fine with whatever.

(I haven’t personally even tried to look for your nom yet though so I have no idea if it will be easy or hard to find for me)

The trick is not minding
As long as you don’t pick a 3 hour film I’m fine with whatever.

(I haven’t personally even tried to look for your nom yet though so I have no idea if it will be easy or hard to find for me)
For that I’ll pick Shoah now 😈

The trick is not minding
Luckily it’s too long to qualify.

(and well... I still haven’t seen it so maybe it would be a good nom for me)
I’ll divide it in equal parts spread out over the next few HOF. 😏
In all seriousness, once enough have chimed in, including Raul, I’ll make a decision.
Like I said before, I want the films to be easily accessible for all involved.