Best 'True Story' film?

Tools    

I'd Rather Be Dancing
I really enjoyed Apollo 13, Gangs Of New York, and A Beautiful Mind

Since everyone already put the one's I would have said, I would have to say Radio.

Originally Posted by diamondgeeza
The Kray's (1990) among the best i've seen.
I would agree with that

Does Braveheart really count as a true story? I think Mr Gibson used quite a bit of artistic licence when re-telling that story !

So many good movies, so little time.
Lot of good movies mentioned including

All the President's Men
Lawrence of Arabia
Raging Bull
Glory
Schindler's List
and
Amistad (despite what someone said in an earlier post, it is a really good movie. Some great scenes, particularly the Middle Passage and the scenes of the Slave Fort in Africa.)

I also liked :
A Man for All Seasons
Judgement at Nuremburg
The Battle of Algiers
Reds
Young Mr. Lincoln
Patton
Hoosiers
Gettysburg

One movie that I am beginning to appreciate more and more is

Malcolm X.

Denzel, Spike Lee and Angelas Bassett were great in it. I think Spike was looking at the history of blacks in America from Reconstruction till now in this movie.

Malcolm Little days represented the time when blacks were supposed to keep to themselves and not mix with whites.

The Detroit Red scenes were the time when black people emulated whites and tried to be like them. The "seperate but equal" times of the 1930's and 1940's.

The Malcolm X years represented the rebellious times when blacks formed their identities as Afro-Americans and began to fight for their rights.

The el-Shabazz years represent the time since about 1980 when blacks have become comfortable in an integrated society (and society has become comfortable with them).

An interesting, hopeful look at race relations in America.

"Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others."- Groucho Marx

A system of cells interlinked
Ucon nailed a lot of good titles down. I also really liked Lynch's The Straight Story.

Some of my favorites are . . .

Missing
A Cry in the Dark
Coal Minor's Daughter
Frances
Heart Like A Wheel
Norma Rae
Silkwood
Stand and Deliver
Lean on Me
LaBamba
All the President's Men . . . and so on.

I really though United 93 was a powerful film. One of the best 'Based on True Events' movies I've seen.

Last seen movie at home: Caffeine
The Last Movie in theatres: 300

Visit my movie forum below made 4U!
World Trade Centre was a pretty good movie.

I heard United 93 was really good.

Men of Honor

Open Water (although the ending was changed. In reality the people survived, in the movie they both died)

Pursuit of Happyness

Such as we are, You shall be
Would Fear and loathing in las vegas Count?
If so yes thats mine!

If not then Id have to say Hotel Rwanda

NOT ACTUALLY BANNED
I saw this thread and couldn't believe I went through two and a half pages before I saw "City of God" mentioned.

The best "True Story" film out there.

Originally Posted by Mad Hatter
Fargo

"I'm not sure I agree a hundred percent on your Police
work there, Lou."

You do know that Fargo isn't based on a true story, yes? It was just Joel and Ethan putting people on, seeing how much more willing an audience is to go along with such a tale if they believe it is even partially based on a true crime. To be clear, it wasn't.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I think Ray with Jamie Foxx was good.

Originally Posted by Holden Pike

"I'm not sure I agree a hundred percent on your Police
work there, Lou.

You do know that Fargo isn't based on a true story, yes? It was just Joel and Ethan putting people on, seeing how much more willing an audience is to go along with such a tale of they believe it is even partially based on a true crime. To be clear, it wasn't.
Thanks for clearing that up.

I just saw the movie Invincible based on the true story of Vince Papale and it was one of the best true story films that I have ever seen.

Originally Posted by Jess
I just saw the movie Invincible based on the true story of Vince Papale and it was one of the best true story films that I have ever seen.
I just saw Invincible as in in-flight movie, and if I could have left the plane I would have. It was one of the most average paint-by-numbers this-has-all-been-done-before sports stories I have had the displeasure to sit through.