Best 'True Story' film?

Tools    

Originally Posted by Shaolin
The Passion of the Christ

Funny. I get jokes....and people's religious beliefs. Funny.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

RIP www.moviejustice.com 2002-2010
Originally Posted by Sleezy
Amistad
Amistad blew monkey balls. One of Spielberg's most overwrought and head bashing preachy films. Completely horrible. When the dude cries out "let free" I nearly ran to the toilet vomitting.

Also I don't know if you can or should do this or not but I don't consider bio-flicks in the same category as true story flicks. A bio-flick is more about the person like say Raging Bull or Lawrence of Arabia. While a good true story film will naturally be about the person involved, it's everybit as much about the story itself as well. In that regards I'd say this is the best true story film head and shoulders above the rest...

I thought Mr. Clutter was a very nice man. I thought so up until I cut his throat.

a movie based on a book, based on a true story.

http://www.movieforums.com/community...ad.php?t=26201

Schindler's List

hands down, need I say more? That movie is incredible.

Originally Posted by Caitlyn
Ed Gein is a very well researched movie based on actual facts without the extra Hollywood fluffing… If you’re interested in learning more about a real serial killer, you should find it interesting… but a word of warning, this movie is not for the faint of heart or anyone with a weak stomach… Hope that helps...
thanks i will be sure to rent this one.

RIP www.moviejustice.com 2002-2010
Originally Posted by Maniac
Schindler's List

hands down, need I say more? That movie is incredible.
Eh it's alright, not as incrediable as In Cold Blood

Bug Planet Proximus
for christs sake people!!no more Spielberg movies!!!!

i think you can pretty much rule him out of the category 'based on a true story' and put him into the category "very, very loosely based on a semi-non fictional story but totally re-glamourised and twisted by a hollywood fat cat that is responsible for the destruction of cinema"

........stupid speilberg. *takes another shot of tequila*

Kaiser "The Devil" Soze
Remember the Titans
Redemption (the Stanley Williams story)
The Straight Story
Cofessions of a Dangerous Mind (which may or may not be real)

I am having a nervous breakdance
Fargo.

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

Saw a great little film on IFC a few weeks ago that they only showed a few times and now I'm kicking myself for not having taped it... "The Straight Story". It's about an old man who's last name is "Straight" who rode his riding lawn mower (pulling a trailer) 300 miles to his brother's house after his brother had had a stroke. Not a lot of action (except when the lawn mower runs too fast down a hill) but a very moving story. And it has Richard Farnsworth as the main character... a very lovable, soft spoken character-actor who I would adopt as a grandfather any time.

I know this was a true story because I read it in the newspapers and saw it on the TV news when it was happening.

Originally Posted by Hauberinia
Saw a great little film on IFC a few weeks ago that they only showed a few times and now I'm kicking myself for not having taped it... "The Straight Story". I know this was a true story because I read it in the newspapers and saw it on the TV news when it was happening.
But apparently you weren't aware of the movie, which was released in 1999, directed by David Lynch (yes, THAT David Lynch), and garnered Farnsworth a Best Actor Oscar nomination. It turned out to be his last role before he took his own life with a shotgun rather than let the cancer ravage his body one moment longer.

So yeah, that little film ain't so little. It was also mentioned two posts above yours.

xeth.co.uk/movies/
I'm suprised nobody has said "Antwone Fisher"!

Others are...
- A Beautful Mind
- Blow
- Bowling for Columbine (probably doesnt count as a movie)
- Erin Brokovich
- Girl, Interrupted
- Goodfellas
- Confessions of a Dangerous Mind (we'll never know how true that was!)
- The Pianist

xeth.co.uk/movies/
Originally Posted by Holden Pike
I'm not.
Haha, did you not like Antwone Fisher, or have you just never heard of it?

But apparently you weren't aware of the movie, which was released in 1999, directed by David Lynch (yes, THAT David Lynch), and garnered Farnsworth a Best Actor Oscar nomination. It turned out to be his last role before he took his own life with a shotgun rather than let the cancer ravage his body one moment longer.

So yeah, that little film ain't so little. It was also mentioned two posts above yours.
Oh, I missed that... meaning both the facts that it was mentioned already, and that he suicided... RIP Richard.

Big Fish

Lawrence of Arabia
Amadeus
Last Emperor

xeth.co.uk/movies/
Oh, I've heard of it. I've seen it. It stinks.
Any reason why? Or just not your type of movie?

Originally Posted by Xethmir
Any reason why? Or just not your type of movie?
It's overwrought, paint-by-numbers TV-movie-of-the-week stuff, with lackluster direction. And the acting was only average. But other than that....