Movies That Make You Think

Tools    

Boldly going.
Total recall (1990)
I was never really sure if Quaid really went to Mars or if he dreamed the whole thing. The director gives some vague insights to this question in the movie commentary, but I'm not sure that he himself really knows the answer.

-The Exorcism Of Emily Rose
-Schindler's List

The Silent Partner (1978) A timid bank teller anticipates a bank robbery and steals the money himself before the crook arrives. When the sadistic crook realizes he's been fooled, he tracks down the teller and engages him in a cat-and-mouse chase for the cash.

for me these two are the most ones i keep thinking of and make me think aswell

But most importantly...

Annie Hall made me think about turning off the TV!

Boldly going.
Crimson tide.
There are two opposing sides clashing throughout this movie. The first time I watched it, I was behind the captain (Gene's character) for a portion of the film, and then I was behind Denzel's character for the rest.
A complex movie about duty, loyalty, risk, war and authority.

I like the way @HashtagBrownies had a brief description of how each movie had an impact. So I'll try to do the same.

Number 1 on my list is
A Thousand Clowns - which poses - but does not really answer - the dilemma-of how an artistic soul with a gleeful yet sardonic outlook on life - can successfully find a way to navigate the repressive, mundane 9-5 world around him.

K19- How and who do we define as a hero, especially when the 'heroes' are serving against our side.

La Strada- A masterpiece (imho) which makes me think, and in the end, makes me weep for the less lauded, unknown persons of this earth who are stranded by the condition of being human.

Battle of the Sexes- I didn't really expect to like this movie, but I did. Its ( unexpectedly) sympathetic portrayal of BOTH players made me think of how multi dimensional the characters were ( and I've since read that Billie Jean King stayed I touch with and told Bobby Riggs she loved him at the end of his life).

Darkest Hour - How truly rare and complicated is the make-up of a man who rises to greatness.

Home by Yann-Arthus Bertrand- What are we doing to this beautiful planet, and how can we preserve it?

And finally - although I've mentioned my reaction to this movie before- the waterlogged and excruciately boring and plotles crummy Castaway makes me think- that Tom Hanks and company, in all good conscience, should turn over the proceeds of that flunky of a film to some worthy cause. Maybe saving the planet.

Sorry @Captain Steel and @Citizen Rules - as you may already know, I respect a great deal of your taste in many movies- and also would be interested in hearing which ones provoke your thoughts.

But I cannot back down on Castaway. Though I agree with CR - it does impart (to me) the same feeling as being trapped in a submarine - submerged, claustrophobic and praying for rescue

Sorry @Captain Steel and @Citizen Rules - as you may already know, I respect a great amount of your taste in movies- and also would be interested in hearing which ones provoke your thoughts.

But I cannot back down on Castaway. Though I agree CR - it does impart (to me) the same feeling as being trapped in a submarine - submerged, claustrophobic and praying for rescue
Totally cool Lenslady, we're all individuals and get to like or dislike whatever we choose I'm not bugged that someone doesn't like what I like. Captain hates Titanic (1997) but I love that film. And he likes Airplane! (1980) but I kinda hated that the one and only time I watched it. And everyone loves 12 Angry Men, but not me! So it's all good

Thanks @Citizen Rules, I was just about to edit my previous post too, hoping I didn't detract from your enjoyment of the film.

And I was saying that perhaps living near the water (as I believe you two do) has made you more....... ' bouyant' in regards to the
movie. ( seems like a bad pun, now that I look at it)

But glad, like you, to welcome and exchange ideas on all the different takes and tastes on movies from mofos here. It's what makes horse races. right? ( And it would be pun- groaningly horrid of me to say ......' That 's what makes seahorse races' )

Totally cool Lenslady, we're all individuals and get to like or dislike whatever we choose I'm not bugged that someone doesn't like what I like. Captain hates Titanic (1997) but I love that film. And he likes Airplane! (1980) but I kinda hated that the one and only time I watched it. And everyone loves 12 Angry Men, but not me! So it's all good
What's funny is that last night while walking I was thinking about how you hate 12 Angry Men! (and didn't care for Airplane). Actually, the way this thought proceeded was that I could understand you not liking Airplane since it's pretty juvenile humor and is quite dated, but how could you dislike 12 Angry Men, despite the original being dated, the story is timeless as long as we will have a jury system.

The point of this is I was thinking it just last night and today you made a post about it! Definite psychic connection!

Sorry @Captain Steel and @Citizen Rules - as you may already know, I respect a great deal of your taste in many movies- and also would be interested in hearing which ones provoke your thoughts.

But I cannot back down on Castaway. Though I agree with CR - it does impart (to me) the same feeling as being trapped in a submarine - submerged, claustrophobic and praying for rescue
Lenslady - I like that feeling in movies sometimes! (Which is probably why I have 1 submarine movie in the top ten, along with a few ship movies and Apollo 13 - which ironically has Tom Hanks trapped, claustrophobic and effecting his own rescue once again!) .

In general I like survival movies. Note: this thread...
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...ad.php?t=43372

(Castaway gets mentioned a few posts down on the first page!)

Thanks @Citizen Rules, I was just about to edit my previous post too, hoping I didn't detract from your enjoyment of the film.
That's nice of you but not necessary. I like lots of films people hate and hate a lot of popular ones.

But glad, like you, to welcome and exchange ideas on all the different takes and tastes on movies from mofos here.
I do when the MoFos are cool. A lot of people just want to argue and won't listen so I don't usually waste my time engaging them. Now see you're someone who is will to take and be friendly about it and that makes convo worthwhile.

What's funny is that last night while walking I was thinking about how you hate 12 Angry Men! (and didn't care for Airplane). Actually, the way this thought proceeded was that I could understand you not liking Airplane since it's pretty juvenile humor and is quite dated, but how could you dislike 12 Angry Men, despite the original being dated, the story is timeless as long as we will have a jury system.

The point of this is I was thinking it just last night and today you made a post about it! Definite psychic connection!
That's creepy! You've done that psychic thing before too. Maybe you're a medium and don't know it

I can agree with you @Captain Steel on Apollo 13. And I generally like ' survival' movies. Would also include, as one poster did, 'surviving against alien invasions ' as survival movies, would you?

Btw I just mentioned that I am a fan of K19, a movie taking place in a submarine. It didn't get a lot of positive reviews, but seemed thought provoking and fascinating to me.

And I'm still hoping to see
your ( and CR's) list of thought provoking movies, if you get a chance.

That's creepy! You've done that psychic thing before too. Maybe you're a medium and don't know it
I just remembered how this thought came about (kind of...)

I was thinking about movies as I walked (obviously) and at one point I said to myself, "Who doesn't love a court room drama?"

I have no idea what led me to that thought, but then I answered myself with...
"Well, Rules doesn't like 12 Angry Men... but then that's not exactly a court room drama, is it? It's a jury room drama! I can understand him not liking Airplane - I liked it when I was 13 so it's not hard to figure that an adult nowadays might not find it as appealing as a teenager in 1980, but why doesn't he like 12 Angry Men?"

That's how it went!
My thoughts while walking are usually just random free association.