The Phantom Menace (1999) VS. Attack of the Clones (2002)

Tools    

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
That's an interesting way to look at Attack of the Clones. So how come these two prequels were liked by audiences when they first came out, but hated now by most? What caused all the hate?

SPOILER

After watching them again though, I have to ask, why did they include the subplot involving the murder of Anakin's mother in Attack of the Clones?

I just felt the subplot wasn't needed, especially since there is plenty of other plot points later to turn Anakin to the dark side, so why was the other subplot with the mother needed on top of the others?

That's an interesting way to look at Attack of the Clones. So how come these two prequels were liked by audiences when they first came out, but hated now by most? What caused all the hate?

SPOILER

After watching them again though, I have to ask, why did they include the subplot involving the murder of Anakin's mother in Attack of the Clones?

I just felt the subplot wasn't needed, especially since there is plenty of other plot points later to turn Anakin to the dark side, so why was the other subplot with the mother needed on top of the others?

Well, Shmi wasn't technically murdered, but she was kidnapped and basically beaten and worked to death as a slave by the Sand People.

Her death drives him not only to pure anger, but also to uncontrollable rage and in turn leads him to draw upon the Dark Side and commit straight out murder.
Anakin's fit of pure rage through the pain of his loss, is so powerful that Yoda is actually able to sense it from the opposite side of the galaxy.

What's important with this, is not only is it the first time he actually gives in to his feelings of fear, anger and rage, but also the first time he commits murder...

... and, it's the first time he gives in to hatred. He even says "I hate them!" to Padme... even though they're already dead. Even though he has sought revenge, and has already killed them... he still hates them.

Fear, anger, hate... all lead to the Dark Side, and Shmi's death is a critical turning point in Anakin's young life that will forever then be a part of his future.

I don't know how much my opinion is worth because I don't particularly care for any of the Star Wars movies, but I think Attack of the Clones is the most enjoyable of the prequels. You can tell Lucas is ripping off Blade Runner as well as other films of the period, but hey if you're gonna steal, steal from the best. I like that it's a bit of a detective tale with Obi-Wan and Anakin as a buddy-cop team. It's a refreshing change of pace from the sword-and-sorcery in space routine that is every other Star Wars movie.

Not to mention the romance between Anakin and Padme is hilariously bad, so much that just thinking about it brings a smile to my face. Is it an objectively bad movie? Well, yeah, but it's entertaining, whereas Phantom Menace bores me to tears.
The Obi Wan detective stuff(at least once he gets out into space) is probably the strongest part of the film I would say, it does recapture some of that "lonely techno frontier" feel of the original films and has some good action scenes with Jango. Besides that though its a bit of a mess for me and just feels like its falling back onto "bigger is better".

TPM whilst hardly that gripping plot/character wise either does I think feel fresher than the other prequels in terms of ideas at least, several interesting new locations and generally more interesting set pieces.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Sadly, I guess this means I need to rewatch both. UGH.

I remember absolutely hating TPM on release. Expectations were very high though having been raised on the Star Wars Trilogy as stand-in parental figures. I had also just read the book that released before the movie. I remember downloading the apple trailer one night in my college apartment so that I could watch it over and over and over in all its compressed splotchiness. Chills!

When it finally released and I could get a seat in, I already knew what was happening so I could pay more attention to the SFX, which at that time I was totally obsessing over in movies.

My gut reactions:
  • Jar Jar was an idiot and did not deserve to be saved in those opening scenes.
  • Jar Jar's voice was Jarring, and worked hard to push me out of the fantasy.
  • Little Annie was 50/50 for me. I think mostly it was the poor directing and probably settling for the shot in hand rather than chasing a retake. I think there were moments where he carried a great burden of emotion during his one-on-ones with Padme, but unfortunately that never overcomes the shadow of him shouting "Yippeeee!" while skipping out of the storefront.
  • Jar Jar's tongue at the table and all the pratfalls that his tongue continually gets him into.
  • Jar Jar's continued accidents and clumsiness.
  • Midichlorians.
  • Editing was horrible. Backdrops were gorgeous, but edits and awkward cuts through poor effects were a mess. For example, when Obi Wan and Qui-Gon Jinn were crawling through some ventilation duct to jump down to a hangar floor. That looks bad. Really bad. And the fight scene where Qui-Gon first encounters Darth Maul. Qui-Gon had to leap from the fight to the ship's platform to escape, but that visual was so BAD and stilted.
Pretty much everything wrong with this movie is represented in the following clip every 3 seconds from costumes, to dialogue, to obvious CG that doesn't blend well with live action, clumsy scripting setups, dialect stereotypes, and the palace "ascension" shot. OMG that ascension gun shot!!!

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Yes. Hate flows through me. I am just this side of the Dark Side because of this one movie. That and slow left-lane drivers.

>=P~

two waste of time movies but ofc i prefer the phantom menace simply because of darth maul

Well, Shmi wasn't technically murdered, but she was kidnapped and basically beaten and worked to death as a slave by the Sand People.

Her death drives him not only to pure anger, but also to uncontrollable rage and in turn leads him to draw upon the Dark Side and commit straight out murder.
Anakin's fit of pure rage through the pain of his loss, is so powerful that Yoda is actually able to sense it from the opposite side of the galaxy.

What's important with this, is not only is it the first time he actually gives in to his feelings of fear, anger and rage, but also the first time he commits murder...

... and, it's the first time he gives in to hatred. He even says "I hate them!" to Padme... even though they're already dead. Even though he has sought revenge, and has already killed them... he still hates them.

Fear, anger, hate... all lead to the Dark Side, and Shmi's death is a critical turning point in Anakin's young life that will forever then be a part of his future.
Sorry I am trying to remember the story and remembered Shmi's death wrong. I just felt that Anakin had enough of a turning point in Revenge of the Sith, and didn't need two turning points to go to the Dark Side, and that the Attack of the Clones turning point may have not been necessary as it seems to over-foreshadow it. But I am watching it again now and I see.

One thing that has been pointed out is that people thought the CGI looks worse in Attack of the Clones, than TPM, but I think it looks better. In TPM, yes they do use real sets, but I think that the real sets make the CGI much more obvious, where as when the whole world is CGI, it all blends together better, or at least that is how I am seeing so far.

As for Darth Maul, what is so special about him exactly? I thought Count Duku had more personality, and lines of dialogue that helped fuel the character where was Darth Maul is nothing more than a silence henchman like Oddjob, in Goldfinger for example. Is it just that he is a really cool silent henchman, and that's why he is loved more?

Sorry I am trying to remember the story and remembered Shmi's death wrong. I just felt that Anakin had enough of a turning point in Revenge of the Sith, and didn't need two turning points to go to the Dark Side, and that the Attack of the Clones turning point may have not been necessary as it seems to over-foreshadow it. But I am watching it again now and I see.

One thing that has been pointed out is that people thought the CGI looks worse in Attack of the Clones, than TPM, but I think it looks better. In TPM, yes they do use real sets, but I think that the real sets make the CGI much more obvious, where as when the whole world is CGI, it all blends together better, or at least that is how I am seeing so far.

As for Darth Maul, what is so special about him exactly? I thought Count Duku had more personality, and lines of dialogue that helped fuel the character where was Darth Maul is nothing more than a silence henchman like Oddjob, in Goldfinger for example. Is it just that he is a really cool silent henchman, and that's why he is loved more?

I think the love for Maul, is he gave viewers what they wanted to see.
A BADASS villain who kicks ass, and also in the prime of the Force Users (Jedi and Sith).
See, Maul is a brute in terms of Force... he's fast, evil, unquestionably dedicated to the Dark Side... and in his prime... and when facing Kenobi while Kenobi was in his prime... gave the audience the lightsabre fights they had imagined since Old Ben Kenobi had spoken about the old days.

Yeah, that's true. What do you think of the Jango Fett subplot? I felt it seemed kind of random and out of place to give Boba Fett a subplot, where he wants to avenge his father's death. Boba Fett was nothing more than a background henchman, who was part of the villain's team. A gun for hire, working for Jabba, and I didn't feel that he needed this subplot at all, and if felt randon and forced perhaps. But what do you think?

Hellloooo Cindy - Scary Movie (2000)
TFM is more kid friendly, AOTC is more teenage friendly IMO. I liked both although AOTC is my favourite of all three. Whether that’s nostalgia or the action set pieces, I just like it. All three are by no means classic but entertaining nonetheless. I can understand the hate though. I really got into Star Wars, really into it, when I was in 6th grade (12 year old. AOTC came out right at the time of my obsession and it ticked all the “cool superficial Star Wars” boxesI. I’m sure though, all the prequels would have been devastating, as devastating as the new TFA and Rogue 1 are to me if they had come at the same time as the just mentioned. It’s all perspective I guess, the teenager or 12 year old in me still likes it. But seriously though it had the best action of the three, massive Jedi army, cool sounding bomb in asteroids, deathsticks, padme showing her abs.....

Yeah, that's true. What do you think of the Jango Fett subplot? I felt it seemed kind of random and out of place to give Boba Fett a subplot, where he wants to avenge his father's death. Boba Fett was nothing more than a background henchman, who was part of the villain's team. A gun for hire, working for Jabba, and I didn't feel that he needed this subplot at all, and if felt randon and forced perhaps. But what do you think?

It doesn't really go anywhere much beyond being a mystery for Obi Wan to slove but honestly I felt the scenes involved were generally some of the more successful of the film.

كُنْ فَيَكُونُ
Phantom but only because Darth Maul looks badass, the only interesting thing about the movie at all. He'd make a good looking villain outside of the starwars universe.

Hellloooo Cindy - Scary Movie (2000)
Phantom but only because Darth Maul looks badass, the only interesting thing about the movie at all. He'd make a good looking villain outside of the starwars universe.
Yea I agree he’s good in Insideous.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Title needs edited. The Phantom Menace vs Attack of the Clones vs The Last Jedi

Although that's a little unfair on Menace and Clones

Haven't seen The Last Jedi yet. Well, having watched both TPM and ATOC the clones again, I think I find ATOC to be the better movie.

Anakin has more of a character arc in it, compared to TPM, and even though he has to suffer through cheesy dialogue in the romance scenes, it's worth it for the character arc.

And even though I complain about Boba Fett's subplot being random and forced and not adding anything, I suppose it's still better, than the pod race segment, since the race that segment, awkwardly takes so long it feels.

And for people to say that TPM is better cause at least it wasn't all CGI and it used real sets and locations, I think that this hurts the movie though. Cause by using real sets and locations and mixing it with CGI, it makes what is CGI much more obvious.

By having an CGI world like ATOC, everything blends better, as a result, if that makes sense.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
You're right. It is.
Good to see you've come around

[*] Jar Jar was an idiot and did not deserve to be saved in those opening scenes.[*] Jar Jar's voice was Jarring, and worked hard to push me out of the fantasy.[*] Little Annie was 50/50 for me. I think mostly it was the poor directing and probably settling for the shot in hand rather than chasing a retake. I think there were moments where he carried a great burden of emotion during his one-on-ones with Padme, but unfortunately that never overcomes the shadow of him shouting "Yippeeee!" while skipping out of the storefront.[*] Jar Jar's tongue at the table and all the pratfalls that his tongue continually gets him into.[*] Jar Jar's continued accidents and clumsiness.[*] Midichlorians.[*] Editing was horrible. Backdrops were gorgeous, but edits and awkward cuts through poor effects were a mess. For example, when Obi Wan and Qui-Gon Jinn were crawling through some ventilation duct to jump down to a hangar floor. That looks bad. Really bad. And the fight scene where Qui-Gon first encounters Darth Maul. Qui-Gon had to leap from the fight to the ship's platform to escape, but that visual was so BAD and stilted.[/list] Pretty much everything wrong with this movie is represented in the following clip every 3 seconds from costumes, to dialogue, to obvious CG that doesn't blend well with live action, clumsy scripting setups, dialect stereotypes, and the palace "ascension" shot. OMG that ascension gun shot!!!
Actually looking back I think that the prequel trilogy was pretty good fun. It was competently made and creative, specially with it's world building aesthetics that were very rich and quite original if compared to the original trilogy. Lucas tried to make a new classic trilogy and failed since the movies didn't work out that well in the end however he was artistically bold and tried to make something novel into the Star Wars universe and actually succeeded in that respect but failed to make well crafted movies, well because he is not a very talented director (as ESB and ROTJ were not directed by him anyway).

While Disney's Star Wars movies are just, well, cash grabs to milk up the franchise. They bring nothing new into the table but just rehash the original trilogy style to grab cash from nostalgic viewers. They are carefully designed corporate products made by expert directors but without an inch of artistic originality.