The Phantom Menace (1999) VS. Attack of the Clones (2002)

Tools    

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
These are usually regarded by fans to be the worst of the Star Wars fans to be the worst entries, but which one do you think is worse, or better? For me, they both have their ups and downs. TPM spends too much time on the race for the story, and AOTC introduces these subplots, which aren't really necessary, like Bubba Fett's past and dad, which don't seem to add up to much and all that.

What do you think?

Bubba Fett?

TPM is better in my opinion... Clones is a cartoon of a movie. Way too much CGI, and not done well either.
Plus there's the droid factory scene where R2 is given rocket boosters and C3PO is turned into CGI as well.

Also... the Geonosians designed the Death Star... and Rogue One retroactively aborts that idea by having Mads Mikkelsen design it instead.

But didn't TPM have lot of CGI as well, particularly in the big battlefield scene in the climax?

Yeah, but the CGI in Phantom was oddly better than the CGI in Clones.
Phantom also had tons of actual sets and location shooting, whereas Clones was all green screen with the odd set piece like a table and chair in the middle of the stage for the actors to interact with.
Revenge Of The Sith was mostly green screen as well, but at least the CGI was improved over Clones.

Oh okay. Revenge of the Sith is the best one for me. I remember the CGI in TPM being the most fake looking, but perhaps if I watched ATOC again, I may see what you mean. ATOC though is also brought down by cheesy dialogue in the romance scenes, unless it was just me.

Yeah the dialogue between Anakin and Padme was cringe worthy.

It was the comical CGI stuff though that ruined Clones for me tbh.
If a movie is gonna be a load of CGI, it needs to be rendered well... but Clones simply wasn't. It's a very cartoony movie to watch.
Phantom had actual sets, actual props, actual locations mixed in and enhanced with CGI... which makes a huge difference.

Like Force Awakens. Sure it had loads of CGI, and all of it was rendered perfectly... but they returned to filming with actual puppets and sets, props, locations et al.

Oh okay, I see. Another thing people complain about is Chris Loyd's performance as Anakin, but I think he does a fine job for a boy actor his age. I think that that is how Anakin would be at that age, and I don't know what people were expecting with a boy around 9-10 years old, or whatever age, he is suppose to be.

Another thing about ATOC is that it has less Jar Jar Binx in, so is that a plus?

Sure it's a plus not to have Jar Jar...

But, well, Clones only has the odd bit of story to make it watchable.
The rest is a mess of cheese and comedic CGI slapstick.

One thing I just found out is apparently TPM had a puppet yoda, and then Lucas later replaced him with CGI. So there is an original puppet version floating out there somewhere.

Yeah the original version of Phantom had a puppet Yods. I never realised they replaced him with CGI though.
I got the original on DVD.

One complaint about TPM is that it has a weak villain who hardly gets any dialogue, but I felt that the villain was suppose to be the silent henchman type intentionally, like Oddjob for example, and didn't have a problem with it.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Clones but not by much, like asking do you want a punch in the face or a kick in the balls.

These are usually regarded by fans to be the worst of the Star Wars fans to be the worst entries, but which one do you think is worse, or better? For me, they both have their ups and downs. TPM spends too much time on the race for the story, and AOTC introduces these subplots, which aren't really necessary, like Bubba Fett's past and dad, which don't seem to add up to much and all that.

What do you think?
For me, Phantom Menace is much better than Clones, ok Jar-Jar is annoying, but the lightsaber battles are extraordinary (especially with duel of the fates playing)

Oh okay, I see. Another thing people complain about is Chris Loyd's performance as Anakin, but I think he does a fine job for a boy actor his age. I think that that is how Anakin would be at that age, and I don't know what people were expecting with a boy around 9-10 years old, or whatever age, he is suppose to be.

Another thing about ATOC is that it has less Jar Jar Binx in, so is that a plus?
Jake Lloyd isn't it?

What do you think?
I'd say The Phantom Menace is better. The lightsaber battles are superior, even though they often look far too choreographed (not enough of them though – I like Qui-Gon vs Maul but it's too short); Darth Maul looked great; Liam Neeson was a great asset to have; more use of real sets. Attack of the Clones' main advantage is to dispense with a lot of the things that didn't work from The Phantom Menace, and I think my favourite bit in it was seeing Mace Windu in action (preferable to seeing Jackson working with the dialogue).

attack of.the clonesis totally shite, i wish i never saw it

This might just do nobody any good.
I prefer Phantom. Attack is the worst Star Wars by far.

Revenge is better than both.

The most loathsome of all goblins
I don't know how much my opinion is worth because I don't particularly care for any of the Star Wars movies, but I think Attack of the Clones is the most enjoyable of the prequels. You can tell Lucas is ripping off Blade Runner as well as other films of the period, but hey if you're gonna steal, steal from the best. I like that it's a bit of a detective tale with Obi-Wan and Anakin as a buddy-cop team. It's a refreshing change of pace from the sword-and-sorcery in space routine that is every other Star Wars movie.

Not to mention the romance between Anakin and Padme is hilariously bad, so much that just thinking about it brings a smile to my face. Is it an objectively bad movie? Well, yeah, but it's entertaining, whereas Phantom Menace bores me to tears.