American Animals 2018

Tools    

I have two brothers that are a lot younger than I am. Ethan is 17 and Issiah is 15. As a fresh-out-of-college big brother. I wrote them a letter regarding of this film and the wisdom of life in the following letter...

American Animals

Dear Ethan & Issiah,

When you are a boy, the world seemed so overwhelmingly bizarre and magical. You wander the earth like an explorer. Everyone runs, til sun goes down.

Once you ever found yourself in a point of life in which you rebelliously questioned the rationality of any existing thing. The world ceases to amaze you, but backslides you into anger and frustration. This results from the the unrealistic expectation we have been taught to put on this world; the reality is that, such expectation and the reality you see fails you horribly. If you ever find yourself in such stage of setback, then I must, congrats you for entering the stage of adolescence.

When you eventually find yourself unwillingly accept the chaos of life but choose to coexist with it. You will either be cynical about the world’s problems which people intentionally neglect instead of fixing it, or in a position trying to dive within yourself to just to find out who you truly are to the world. As a professor with PhD in Adulthood Cynicism and Internet Retardation, if you are showing the symptoms mentioned above, I must, congrats you for reaching adulthood.

I recently watched a crime movie called “American Animals”. It’s not a “based on a true story” story, but a “based on an actual event” story right here in our home state, Kentucky. I absolutely recommend it. It is about a actual crime committed by four native Kentuckian raised UK students back in 2004. Driven by their inner hunger to “prove” themselves that they are something bigger than they deserve, they collude to steal a rare art in Transylvania University in Lex.

It’s not a film of adolescent rebellious behavior, but a film that reflects young adolescents’ inner struggle to confront the boredom, mediocrity, and the raw unfamiliarity of adulthood. Kentucky is one of those state in which the young children grow up with the idea that we are destined for something bigger than our small town. No one wants to be a janitor as their career goal. But once you get thrown into a college and is completely on your own, all hell break loose. Let me mention it again. All hell will break loose. The reality of adulthood will hit you hard and you will find yourself caught up in a state in which young adult would either get horribly lost in life and dedicated their precious time to materialism, drinking, partying, etc, or, searching for a relief - diving deep down in themselves to seek what the world truly means to your very own human experience.

These four thieves are now in their 30’s, they were young and talented back in the day of the incident. Frustrated and angry like every young adult, they channeled their anger into venality to prove themselves, which, of course, ended them into definite regret.

Every young adult is so eager to leave mark in the history if mankind. No one ever pursues mediocrity. But I must tell you, the great conquest of life begins within. It’s a everlasting inner-engineering journey of seeking true yourself in such worldly chaos. The human experience itself is a college in which everyone has a their own unique problem to deal with. Know what your frustration is. Seek it and solve it. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat.

Life ain’t rocket science. All you have to do is simply to love and to feel.

I personally think the true virtue of life is we must, must lose the enthusiasm for life whenever we experience a low tide of life.

The world will fade so will your body and everything around us.

So the ultimate question becomes : what does it mean to be alive?
If you would die today, what would be your biggest regret and how can we prevent it?

Is it being bold enough to tell a girl you like you like her regardless of what her response is?
Is it having the vision of doing something that your heart calls you to do?
Is it just to thank mom for her cooking?
Is it just to thank God for giving you an another boring, yet blessed day?

Life can be a mystery. We can be so frustrated.
Life can be a ballad. All you have to do is simply listen within.

Sean Hines
PFC of United State of Marine Corps
If you don’t get my idea of my advice please come back and read it when you are 20 or older…

I get it Appreciate life for life...not everyone/everything has to have a 'purpose'

Thanks for the post