I need a recommendation

Tools    

Di je Karlo?
I haven't been able to find anything I can get enthused about in a while, so I figured I'd ask for a rec.

I generally don't watch:
Romance and horror movies
Japanese cartoons
Musicals (other than La La Land)
"So bad it's good" movies

Things I generally like in movies:
Deeply flawed protagonists, as in more flawed than the common man (e.g. Riggan Thompson or Johnny Depp's Ed Wood)
Universal themes or messages, as in not limited to specific cultures or eras (e.g. the theme of mortality in Blade Runner)
Dark comedy

I've already seen, from the top of my head:
99% of the real well-known american movies (e.g. the Godfather, North by Northwest, Rocky, The Matrix... the list goes on)
Drive
Yojimbo
Leviathan
District 9
District B13
The Cornetto trilogy
Legenda o Kolovrate

I also have It's a Wonderful Life planned to see on Christmas. Other than that, anything goes.

Think we'd have to narrow it down a little. Maybe list a handful of films of the type you'd like to see? Otherwise, just way too much out there, and most of it just random guessing (especially if you really have seen most recent films, anyway).

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Yeah. I'd pick a genre and just Google top 10 <genre> and go from there. Find a few from those lists you like then bring back here for convo and more ideas down those, more specific, paths.

Maybe?

Personally, I love 13 assassins. It may still be on Netflix.

Di je Karlo?
Think we'd have to narrow it down a little. Maybe list a handful of films of the type you'd like to see? Otherwise, just way too much out there, and most of it just random guessing (especially if you really have seen most recent films, anyway).
Done

Prime kino.
Vice President
358 Exchange Place New York, N.Y. 10099 FAX 212 555 6390 TELEX : () 4534

...I've already seen, from the top of my head: 99% of the real well-known american movies (e.g. the Godfather, North by Northwest, Rocky, The Matrix... the list goes on)...
You've seen 99% of all well known American movies? Where do you find the time? Your profile says you're a college student. I've only seen a fraction of all the well known American movies myself, and I've been at it for a long while

You've seen 99% of all well known American movies? Where do you find the time? Your profile says you're a college student. I've only seen a fraction of all the well known American movies myself, and I've been at it for a long while
I agree.. Im 51 and I havent seen everything!

This is such an easy thing for me to suggest because I'm actually watching it right now. I think it's on Netflix now, but Showtime used to air it. PENNY DREADFUL there was like 25 episodes before it was cancelled. If you're a fan of great acting, strong dialogue, and storytelling you'll love it. The horror takes a backseat to those strengths, yet is still the best horror I've seen since Silence Of The Lambs, and best series ive seen since Game of Thrones and Westworld.

I am just going to take a stab in the dark and recommend some films that I think will fit into the genres you mentioned, though I can' t say for sure if you' ll like them.

When you said 'deeply flawed characters' lol - all I could think was I' m not sure if I' d seen a character that was NOT deeply flawed- post Atticus Finch.

But here's a few with deeply flawed characters that, for the most part, have you rooting for
them ( or at least, understanding them) despite their flaws.
I second @matt72582. 's recommendation for La Strada

Others I suggest are:
Five Easy Pieces
Nebraska
Silent Running
Inside Llewyn Davis
Dirty Harry
Bonnie and Clyde
Fargo ( with one engagingly UNflawed character, brilliantly realized by Frances McDormand, other guys are non sympathetic tho)
And perhaps the most excellent of them all - The Apostle

As for a dark comedy, I remember Little Murders being dark and sardonically funny, though I haven't seen It in years

And btw, for a universal theme, why not revisit good old Atticus Finch in To Kill A Mockingbird.? A film about justice and childhood and community - seems apt for this season.

Good luck on your viewing and let us know, if you have the chance, if you see or enjoy any of our mofo's suggested films.

I don't really know why these two in particular came to me, but if you haven't seen them you should.

Falling Down

Man Bites Dog

Di je Karlo?
...I've already seen, from the top of my head: 99% of the real well-known american movies (e.g. the Godfather, North by Northwest, Rocky, The Matrix... the list goes on)...
99% is just an expression. I said it so I get recommendations that are more "out there".

Dark comedies
Brazil
In Bruges

Movies with flawed characters
La Isla Minima
The Last Seduction
Bad Santa
Night Crawler
Somersault
Yes, Nightcrawler!