Movies that should be remade.

Tools    

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I've said this before and I'll say it again.

Remake bad movies with a good premise.

Give them a chance to be good again.

Suspect's Reviews

"The following". The first film made my Christopher Nolan. It will awesome if it is remade in color and enhanced with the latest film making technologies.

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
I know when I say First Blood should be remade, people think "Are you crazy!", but I think the original novel has material in that would work fo remake, especially when combined with today's war time, if Rambo was coming back from the war in Iraq today.

Hellloooo Cindy - Scary Movie (2000)
Several John Grisham book based movies should be remade. Barring the firm which I think is very decent. Haven’t seen them in a while but some of them I remember to be underwhelming compared to the books.

Maybe with modern cgi they can create a more realistic court room etc. That last bit was just a joke.

Hellloooo Cindy - Scary Movie (2000)
We also need a modern iteration of Homer’s the Odyssey or illiad and maybe a remake of Troy. That is literature that should be done justice. Maybe I’d prefer it to be a Netflix series or hbo as 2 hours prob can’t do those stories justice.

All I've ever wanted is Lady Gaga to remake Bette Midler's The Rose. I think that would be perfect.

"That may be, but I've got the Falcon."
My two, somewhat obscure picks:

The Neverending Story (love the book)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ne...ng_Story_(film)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Neverending_Story

Another Day in Paradise (love the books)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anothe...Paradise_(film)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anothe...aradise_(novel)

Both are fine as they are, but they could be better.

The dark/gothic parade as the Dark Princess and "bad people" march to their doom in Spook City just oozes Tim Burton or someone like that, maybe Alfonso Cauron, or Del Toro (we know he loves creatures). More world-building, more creatures, more story adaptation (lots of stuff is left out about the Manipulators), or even a guy like Aronofsky could make it one of those mind-screwy movies.

It saddened me how the "It" in Wrinkle in Time was saying a lot of things that I wish were said by Gmork or even the Nothing/Manipulators like in the original movie. Maye even go into the second half of the book some.

Cast:
Jacob Tremblay for Bastian.

Kodi Smit-McPhee (Alpha) for Atreyu.

Let Andy Serkis be Gmork/The Nothing, do it with that cool mix of motion capture and CG that he's become the king of!

For Paradise, there's nuance in the book and a richer story in the book that is missed in the movie. I loved James Woods in the role and even Vincent Kartheiser is good (Natasha Gregson Wagner is a fox!) but a more faithful adaptation and a cut of the sequel would be nice, too. I saw the movie on a random viewing before I read the book but once I did, man did Larry Clark (of all directors) miss the mark!

Casting:
It's far too late now, but I would've liked Ron Perlman as Mel (since he's actually Jewish and could beef up, Woods was not fat at all)

Nowadays I would like Rory Culkin as Bobbie. Before too much time, baby-faced Kartheiser still looked young enough.

Can't really think of anyone else. For Rosie, she's supposed to be Hispanic...maybe Bella Thorne (After a long while of searching)

For Jules, heck, let Oscar Isaac play him! That would be terrific!

For Syd (Melanie Griffith's role), maybe...took some digging, but Jennifer Jason Leigh would be a nice choice.

Or...the bad kid from Cobra Kai (Tanner Buchanan) as Bobbie.

Now, with Netflix's emergence and success rate, a miniseries approach would be nice for TNES.

i always thought that 1995 s Judge Dredd should have been remade with sly stallone, with a better plot.

Welcome to the human race...
after 30 years i think its time they remade Repo Man
Repo Man is too much of a singularly weird time capsule to remake, though (to say nothing of how a remake would run the risk of missing the point of the original's anti-capitalist bent).

Another pick I thought of would be League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, though as with Watchmen any adaptation would arguably work better as a series than a feature (if at all).

Natural Born Killers, but directed by Quentin Tarantino to the screenplay he originally wrote for it.

True Romance ^ same person and reason though I enjoyed Tony Scott's take on it.

E.T. - it would be nice to see them take it from the perspective of todays desensitized generation and maybe even have it in the city. The alien shouldn't look like a mound of dog crap in this one though.

i always thought that 1995 s Judge Dredd should have been remade with sly stallone, with a better plot.
As long as they kept Diane Lane .

^ Agree!
Re-watched both of these not so long ago, didn't even finish Highlander because the fight choreo and fx were so dated..

Also think Flash Gordon is ready for a remake, but maybe keep a large part of the original soundtrack.

At the very least, Highlander could do with a structural overhaul - I re-watched it last year and the thing that really stood out to me was much time it burned on the sub-plot involving Connor being investigated for murder that ultimately just kind of trails off without any real resolution for the investigators and seemingly only exists as a means of not just filling in time between swordfights but also giving Connor a love interest whose relationship with him is barely fleshed out because, again, it takes forever to get going.

As for Flash Gordon, I've heard rumours of a remake over the years (with Matthew Vaughn's name coming up quite a bit) but I do wonder how that would look in the 2020s, especially since (as you say) the soundtrack is such an indelible part of what makes the 1980 version great.

Mathew Vaughn would be perfect, Layer Cake, Kick-Ass all favorites. did an excellent job on First Class, true to comic and captured the look and feel of the different time periods well. As for the soundtrack, saw Brian May at the Oscars still looks pretty healthy, would involve him and maybe let him choose 'new' artists he trusts to revamp/remix the original.

This might just do nobody any good.
The only reason Vaughn would be good is because hiring Taika Waititi would be redundant.

Vaughn's films have always had too much of a smug self-awareness to them that leads me to think he wouldn't be a good fit for something that demands this level of unabashed sincerity - if anything, it seems more suited to Edgar Wright.