The MoFo Top 100 of the Eighties

→ in
Tools    

Well hello there!

Are you ready to go again? The 90s countdown was a huge success under the loving guidance of Mr. Lime, so it seems a logical progression for our list series to move on to the next great decade in our beloved cinema's history: the 1980s. A time when blockbuster franchises were king and people still kind of liked George Lucas. There are a ton of great movies that came out in the 80s, from every genre and from all around the world (sorry Sexy) so hopefully this will be a great list.

*IMPORTANT*

Before we get going, you should all know that there's a chance this list might work a little differently. For the 90s countdown, we had around 50 voters for 100 entries, which meant that there were a few early appearances of films that came completely out of left field. It's been pointed out to me that due to the uproar that they caused, probably owing to the fact that only a few people vote for them which meant they were relatively unrepresentative of the forum's taste as a whole, it might be a good idea to switch from 100 to 50.

Personally, I'd be more than happy to stick with 100 because I have to admit, I like these esoteric choices and those that were upset were probably a vocal minority. Also because 50 could mean we sacrifice too many films that should make it. But I figured it best to throw it out to you guys. Would you prefer a fully representative list of 50 made up of films that lots of people voted for, or stick with 100 - with a few surprises and lots of movies with 50/50 chances to make it - like the last countdown? Alternatively, you could leave it up to me to decide as I start to get an idea of the kind of shape the list it going to take, how many random early entries there are and if there are simply too many. Let me know in this thread or if you prefer, I can append a poll.

The rules won't change in any case, only the number of films, so on with the show!

The MoFos have spoken, we're sticking with 100.

Pick good films, you will.

RULES
Harry's rules worked well, so I figure if it ain't broken, don't fix it. Here they are again:
  • Submit your ranked list (1-25, no ties) to me via PM with the title "Your Username - MoFo 80s List".
  • New members can send in a list as soon as they've been a member here for one month. This measure is taken so that the list isn't influenced by members who've been on here for a week and then pack their bags and never come back.
  • Films that are part of a series (Star Wars, Indiana Jones, etc etc etc) must be submitted as separate films.
  • Any film with the year 1980-89 listed on IMDb is eligible for the list.
  • Those revealing their lists before the countdown has ended will be disqualified. That just defeats the point of the whole thing.
  • As per usual, films will be awarded points as follows: 25 points for 1st place, 24 points for 2nd place, 23 for 3rd and so on.
  • The deadline for entries is 15th January 2014. I was going to go with a solid 4 months, but I tacked on two weeks-ish so the deadline doesn't coincide with Christmas/New Year. Plenty of time to catch up on what you want to see and get your lists in!

EDIT 18/09 - Putting all the film-specific decisions from questions regarding eligibility here so everybody's clear.
  • Krzysztof Kieslowski's The Decalogue is allowed and should be submitted as one entry [link]
  • Claude Berri's Jean de Florette and Manon des Sources should be submitted separately [link]
  • Godard's Histoire(s) du cinéma is not eligible [link]
  • Berlin Alexanderplatz is eligible [link]

I think that's everything. Huge thanks to Harry for doing such a great job with the previous countdown, to all of you for your vote of confidence and allowing me to do this, and to Yoda for his advice and kind offer to help out.

Happy listing!

Lists so far

Guaporense
The Rodent
mikeython1
teeter_g
edwardc77
The Gunslinger45
Lucas
cricket
nostromo87
wintertriangles
TokeZa
HandyApe
Upton
OMEGA5
Sexy Celebrity
Tyler1
syj
seanc
Thursday Next
Miss Vicky
Mmmm Donuts
Camo
Gabrielle947
TheUsualSuspect
Mr.Sparkle
The Sci-Fi Slob
TylerDurden99
Harry Lime
moviefan1996
gandalf26
mark f
linespalsy
rauldc14
Sedai
Holden Pike
Hitchcockian
Godoggo
Mr Minio
-KhaN-
Yoda
donniedarko
Hit Girl
thracian dawg
rice1245
honeykid
the samoan lawyer
Skepsis93
BlueLion
bluedeed
Cobpyth
Sane
mojofilter
Frightened Inmate No. 2
stevo3001
Arcanis
weeman
Pussy Galore
JayDee
sarah f
jiraffejustin
Daniel M
meatwadsprite

Sweet! I say stick to 100 - the 80s were way better than the 90s or 00s anyways, IMO.

I'm writing down the names of everyone who prefers 100 so I can shame them if they complain about how surprising or weird the first fifty films are.

I prefer a 100 to it's a good thing to see movies we don't know about that gives us suggestions !

Awesome stuff Skepsis, nice graphics/presentation as well Looking forward to this. Going to watch Fanny and Alexander as I have it on Blu-ray, soon, really looking forward to it.

Awesome stuff Skepsis, nice graphics/presentation as well Looking forward to this. Going to watch Fanny and Alexander as I have it on Blu-ray, soon, really looking forward to it.
I think you'll like it. Vote for it even if you don't.

The Brave Little Weeman Returns!
Stick to 100 because if we do 50, there's less scope for shock inclusion. Also, having 100 fosters more discussion and in all, makes the list grander in scale. The graphics are great too Skepsis

This will be my first Mofo list, so I'm looking forward to it

Reviews

I say 100 also; my list is ready but I'll give a week to double-check. I'm pretty sure I've seen just about everything from the 80's that interests me.

Got my list all ready, and I'm reminded of how much I love this decade. Still some stuff I want to see before submitting, though.

Seriously? A picture from a Spike Lee movie in your introduction? That's not '80s. The others weren't that great, either. Only thing I liked was that 9 because it had Emilio Estevez in it. And the Yoda/Luke Skywalker picture.

Seriously? A picture from a Spike Lee movie in your introduction? That's not '80s. The others weren't that great, either. Only thing I liked was that 9 because it had Emilio Estevez in it. And the Yoda/Luke Skywalker picture.
Tell us Sexy, what is THE FILM of the 80s? So we can all watch it

Tell us Sexy, what is THE FILM of the 80s? So we can all watch it
Well, there's a lot, and I should probably make a full list, but off the top of my head -- there better be horror films. The '80s were all about the slasher films and the really great horror monsters like Freddy, Jason, Michael, Pinhead, etc. There better not be any Asian monsters in this or I'm gonna bring down the house.