Movie Tab II

Tools    

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Yep. There were so many to choose from, it was hard to pick. I hope you like Black Girl; I won't say enjoy since that isn't quite correct...

The Blue Angel (Josef von Sternberg / 1930)

Death Proof (Quentin Tarantino / 2007)
-
The Deer Hunter (Michael Cimino / 1978)
-
Exotica (Atom Egoyan / 1994)
+
Heaven Can Wait (Warren Beatty and Buck Henry / 1978)

Jaws (Steven Spielberg / 1975)

Kapò (Gillo Pontecorvo / 1960)
Nights of Cabiria (Federico Fellini / 1957)
+
One Flew Over the Cukoo's Nest (Miloš Forman / 1975)
-
Rebel Without a Cause (Nicholas Ray / 1955)

Salò, or the 120 Days of Sodom (Pier Paolo Pasolini / 1975)

The Selfish Giant (Clio Barnard / 2013)
+

*If you've ever seen Kapò, I suggest you read this essay called "The Tracking Shot in Kapò: http://sensesofcinema.com/2004/featu...es/kapo_daney/

Berberian Sound Studio (Peter Strickland, 2012)
Wow. Considering everything I've heard about this, that's an astonishingly low rating. Even if I take into consideration your rather stern ratings. I'd love to hear a few of your thoughts on it.

Not much to say. Some good visuals and sound splashed about with no rhyme or reason. Actually worse than that because the "reason" is to drive the viewer just as mad as the lead character, but most filmwatchers, except modern critic-types, would be angry, not "crazy". I was also upset that the "homage" to '70s Italian horror was basically non-existent. There, that should piss off a few people, even UF (sorry).

Wow! I nominate this post for the best wtf moment I've seen in a while. Mark f has actually rated a multiple movies with 8 and 9 stars? What the hell is going on here? Seriously, what the hell? Then I noticed HandyApe had only borrowed his format.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Not much to say. Some good visuals and sound splashed about with no rhyme or reason. Actually worse than that because the "reason" is to drive the viewer just as mad as the lead character, but most filmwatchers, except modern critic-types, would be angry, not "crazy". I was also upset that the "homage" to '70s Italian horror was basically non-existent. There, that should piss off a few people, even UF (sorry).
Sounds like a movie I might enjoy.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Wow! I nominate this post for the best wtf moment I've seen in a while. Mark f has actually rated a multiple movies with 8 and 9 stars? What the hell is going on here? Seriously, what the hell? Then I noticed HandyApe had only borrowed his format.
The WTF moment should be that Ape only gave it
. Jaws, for crying out loud!

The Couch (Owen Crump, 1962)
+
Barricade (Peter Godfrey, 1950)
+
Slaughter Trail (Irving Allen, 1951)

Angel-A (Luc Besson, 2005)
+

My Outlaw Brother (Elliott Nugent, 1951)

Inside Straight (Gerald Mayer, 1951)
+
Films to Keep You Awake: A Real Friend (Enrique Urbizu, 2006)

Hud (Martin Ritt, 1963)

Diary of a Madman (Reginald Le Borg, 1963)
+
Two Hearts in Wax Time (No Director Listed, 1935)

House of Wax (Andre de Toth, 1953)
-
The Tingler (William Castle, 1959)
+ (may be the first cinematic depiction of an acid trip)

In the Cut (Jane Campion, 2003)

M (Joseph Losey, 1951)

Laurel Canyon (Lisa Cholodenko, 2002)
+
Peter Pan (Hamilton Luske, Clyde Geronimi & Wilfred Jackson, 1953)

The Running Man (Carol Reed, 1963)

The Fast and the Furious (John Ireland & Edward Sampson, 1955)

Little Nikita (Richard Benjamin, 1988)
-
Invasion of the Saucer Men (Edward L. Cahn, 1957)
+

Too Late for Tears aka Killer Bait (Byron Haskin, 1949)

Million Dollar Baby (Curtis Bernhardt, 1941)

Who's Superstitious? (Sammy Lee, 1943)

The Black Swan (Henry King, 1942)

The Walking Dead (Michael Curtiz, 1936)

A Bucket of Blood (Roger Corman, 1959)
+
Dementia 13 (Francis Coppola, 1963)
+
What Ever Happened to Baby Jane? (Robert Aldrich, 1962)

Begotten (E. Elias Merhige, 1990)

The Well (Leo Popkin & Russell Rouse, 1951)

Maniac (Michael Carreras, 1963)

Re-Animator (Stuart Gordon, 1985)

Spider Baby or, The Maddest Story Ever Told (Jack Hill, 1968)

Village of the Damned (Wolf Rilla, 1960)

Night Has a Thousand Eyes (John Farrow, 1948)
+
Sisters (Brian De Palma, 1973)

The Full Treatment aka Stop Me Before I Kill! (Val Guest, 1960)

Across the Wide Missouri (William A. Wellman, 1951)
+
Before Sunrise (Richard Linklater, 1995)

Follow Me Quietly (Richard O. Fleischer, 1949)

Now how the heck did you watch that many movies since yesterday, Mark? Or are these backlogged tab entries?
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

That's about 28 1/2 hours of movies, and I slept about four hours each of the last three days. Eleven were shown on TCM, and I watched six online, so I saw the last set from Thursday/Friday midnight to early Saturday afternoon. Basically did the same thing the day before. That's what happens when you can't do much of anything else.

From one of Mark's previous posts in this thread:
I don't have much else to do each day since my stroke except pester my wife and daughter and watch movies, usually on cable. I've been averaging about 10-12 a day. TCM shows lots of movies of 80 minutes and less, and I sleep about four hours a day. I know - I'm nuts.
Unless of course you're suggesting that he read instead. But who the hell would want to do that when you can watch movies?

I think it's awesome to find so much time for movies.