Coronavirus

Tools    

The Adventure Starts Here!
They're people who've died from Covid19.

Just found out my best friend's brother has it. Thankfully he's fairly young and otherwise healthy and seems to be on the mend after some pretty nasty fevers.
Thanks, I just saw an article about Lee Fierro elsewhere.

Ghouls, vampires, werewolves... let's party.
Feels like a lot of things are pointing to the next two weeks getting worse in terms of health care burden, deaths, and infections, but that the initial peak might be over by the time April is. That's something, at least.
I hope so. This whole things a nightmare. I just heard the White House is saying to avoid grocery stores.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
New York deaths slowing, according to Cuomo:

The number of deaths over the past few days has been dropping “for the first time," New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo said today during a press conference.

The significance of that is “too early to tell” he added.

Cuomo added that ICU admissions are also down, daily intubations are down “slightly” and the hospital discharge rate is “way up” and that’s “great news.”

He said there is a "shift to Long Island" adding "upstate New York is basically flat… as Long Island grows the percentage of cases in NYC has reduced."

The total number of intubations are down across the state, Cuomo said.

As of April 4, there were about 316 people intubated in the hospital, that number is down from 351 reported the day before.

To be clear, this is more "we might have peaked" and not "things are over." And New York got it worse, so a lot of places around the country probably still have that ramp-up in front of them.

Feels like a lot of things are pointing to the next two weeks getting worse in terms of health care burden, deaths, and infections, but that the initial peak might be over by the time April is. That's something, at least.

The problem with Long Island seems to be that too many people aren't taking this seriously. For example, my neighbors have been having a party outside almost every night, with anywhere from 5-12 people sitting around a square table the size of a card table. I complained to the office about them because not only aren't they social distancing, but they are placing the table ON the walking path, instead of on the lawn area, so people can't even safely walk past them.

If one of them gets the virus, it will spread through my co-op like wildfire.

Also, if you're taking your temperature under your tongue, they tell you not to do it right after having a cold or hot drink. Make sure the inside of your mouth is its normal temperature and not changed by anything you just drank.
That just reminded me of this... (too bad they cut the clip at the best part... when Ralph goes off!)

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Our state finally issued a stay at home order Saturday. I needed to come in today for some hardware stuff that I can't do from home, but figured I'd prep everything I need to take back and start tomorrow or Wednesday. I figured half the staff would still come in, given their political views and/or the implied pressure from our bosses, but only two people are working from home today. This is so weird.

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

Our state finally issued a stay at home order Saturday. I needed to come in today for some hardware stuff that I can't do from home, but figured I'd prep everything I need to take back and start tomorrow or Wednesday. I figured half the staff would still come in, given their political views and/or the implied pressure from our bosses, but only two people are working from home today. This is so weird.
I'm curious about your situation ynwtf...what state are you in? and why would the political views cause half the staff at your job to continue to work? and your bosses are pressuring the employees to continue to work despite a stay at home order from the state? Ugh, sorry to hear that.

Ghouls, vampires, werewolves... let's party.
Surgeon general warns this week will be ‘our Pearl Harbor moment’ as coronavirus death toll rises

U.S. Surgeon General Vice Admiral Jerome Adams issued a dire warning Sunday to Americans as the coronavirus outbreak has yet to hit its expected peak, but did offer a glimmer of hope in terms of when the situation could improve and how.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/sur...ath-toll-rises

I'd originally planned to probably make one more grocery trip in the next week or so, but now I'm leaning against it. There's a few things I can't order online but I think I'll just ration them and go without for awhile rather than go to the store this week or next.

With a self-confessed chocaholic doing the weekly shop by herself during this pandemic I can say with absolute certainty that there'll be no need for rationing anything Cadburys or m&ms in this house during these dark days. Quite the opposite - give it another month and I reckon 'sweets' on toast might have become de rigeur for brekkie

Hospitalizations in New York have gone down a couple of days in a row. Good sign that they've peaked there, and while it hasn't been good, it would've been much worse if they'd kept climbing even a few more days.

That peak is still to come in most other places, since New York was hit so hard and so fast, but it it indicates an initial peak is a couple of weeks (rather than a couple of months) away, that would still be a sizable relief, even though it'll involve quite a few more deaths in a short period of time.

Hospitalizations in New York have gone down a couple of days in a row. Good sign that they've peaked there, and while it hasn't been good, it would've been much worse if they'd kept climbing even a few more days.

That peak is still to come in most other places, since New York was hit so hard and so fast, but it it indicates an initial peak is a couple of weeks (rather than a couple of months) away, that would still be a sizable relief, even though it'll involve quite a few more deaths in a short period of time.
But only if a second wave does not occur after lockdown is lifted.

Yeah, I actually went back and added "initial" to that post specifically because of that. The light at the end of the tunnel around late April/early May is very likely to be more of a break than an ending, significant mostly because it'll give us time to catch up on logistics (both health care and general supplies) for a second wave. Doesn't mean things get easy, or the same, but it does give everyone time to regroup and make sure things never get out of control.

And if you want a quick and easy face mask go buy some boxer briefs. You’re not going to look any crazier than everyone else. Even with underwear on your head.
Trust me. If I walk out of my house with boxer briefs on my head I am gonna get arrested. No question.

I’m pretty sure that means I’m a reptile, so be careful.
I knew it.

Well, the whole issue over if Dr Drew was right or wrong in his assessment that the coronavirus wasn't any more dangerous than the common flu...has been resolved. He admitted he was wrong.
Good Lord, why would anyone listen to him? He’s the host of 16 & Pregnant & Teen Mom.

I hope so. This whole things a nightmare. I just heard the White House is saying to avoid grocery stores.
Guessing Trump has never felt the need to visit a grocery store. So, bad advice.

I'm curious about your situation ynwtf...what state are you in? and why would the political views cause half the staff at your job to continue to work? and your bosses are pressuring the employees to continue to work despite a stay at home order from the state? Ugh, sorry to hear that.
Alabama.

I felt so sad yesterday listening to the Queen of England’s speech. For the first time, I think, I was really struck by the gravity of the situation. Terrible times.

Walgreen’s, according to my friend who works there, is a cheap ass company. The employees have never had gloves or masks to wear. And anyone who continues to work through the virus until the very end will receive $300. Just handling coins & bills could kill you.

You ready? You look ready.
Little info about coronavirus checks that might be relevant to people.

Anyone claimed as a depedent over the age of 17 ain't getting anything. So college students, disabled adults, and senior citizens who are claimed as dependents on another person's taxes will not see anything.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

Regarding the 2 trillion dollar stimulus package...we've been on lockdown for like a month at most and already need 2 trillion in relief? What happens in the next 3 months, will there be a need for a 6 trillion dollar stimulus package? I mean if 1 month of pandemic cost 2 trillion where are we finding this money at? and how long does it 'fix' things for?

Leaving aside the wisdom of the package, I don't think it's supposed to be that one month = $2 trillion. For one, it's supposed to be preemptive (people are going to need this soon). For another, only a fraction of it is the cash payments, half or more is for things like Small Business Loans, which are meant to help small businesses weather, in theory, a few months. Ditto on the larger industrial bailouts.

And, of course, there's a lot of reason to believe it's the initial shock/disruption that's the most in need of being absorbed, so even if this were meant to just cover a month or so, it would be covering the "worst" month, in theory.

Anyway, we "find" the money by taking on debt, which means issuing more treasury bonds, which are paid back over time to the people who buy them. It's basically like taking out a loan, which is common in times of war or disaster. The biggest cause for concern is that our debt was pretty high even in peacetime before this, which has become the new normal.