Movie Tab II

Tools    

Finished here. It's been fun.
The Killing
It might be cliche to say this by now, but Kubrick is a master filmmaker. He really is. His films are just fantastic, from The Shining all the way to Eyes Wide Shut. The Killing is no exception to the rule. This is a slick,well-made and very compelling noir-film about men about to commit a daring heist. The movie is only 80 minutes long, so Kubrick uses this time to his advantage to make a film that moves rapidly, leaving you very little room to breathe. It's very interesting to see these characters plan, and eventually perform this heist. The film's final minutes are especially incredible, a perfect ending to Kubrick's magnificent attempt at making film noir.

The Kid
I haven't seen a Chaplin film until now. (sighs) I'm a moron, because he is awesome and I cant wait to view even more of his films. I watched the short version of this film which runs at around 54 minutes or so. Its a very short film, but it's filled with much laughs, human emotion,and pure cinematic power. This is great cinema I guess, all you need to know is seen rather than heard.

Through a Glass Darkly
Bergman, one of the most renowed filmmakers the world has ever seen. I still haven't seen a film of his that really clicked with me. Persona and The Seventh Seal are the best from what I've viewed. This film is very well acted, and it handles the dark subject matter with care and realism...but it's so dull. Maybe I am never in the mindset to view his films correctly but I found this one rather dry. I get that he is a filmmaker who tries to tackle the most challenging aspects of human nature, but is there a film of his where the people aren't lingering in complete and utter despair?

The Maltese Falcon
I'll make this review rather short. The Maltese Falcon is a revolutionary film and one of the first film-noirs ever. It has the femme-fatale, the crooked,scheming characters, and the detective who is always two steps ahead of everyone. This is a really good film,and I respect it heavily. But having seen so many noirs, this film's effect is diminished a bit as you kind of automatically know the route the film will take from the very beginning.
+

Love The Kid & The Killing did have something special to offer, although it's a weaker Kubrick,

This is another great movie of all time, Humphrey Bogart's performance is a classic...

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

Children of the Corn 666: Isaac's Return (Kari Skogland, 1999)
-
Story of G.I. Joe (William A. Wellman, 1945)

The Night We Called It a Day aka All the Way (Paul Goldman, 2003)

Tess (Roman Polanski, 1979)
+

Nastassja Kinski
There's No Business Like Show Business (Walter Lang, 1954)

Ten North Frederick (Philip Dunne, 1958)

The Burmese Harp (Kon Ichikawa, 1956)

Shôji Yasui and his former company
The Statement (Norman Jewison, 2003)

The Other Sister (Garry Marshall, 1999)

The Virgin Spring (Ingmar Bergman, 1960)

Birgitta Pettersson, Tor Isedal, Axel Düberg
A Star is Born (George Cukor, 1954)

In a World... (Lake Bell, 2013)
+
The Battle of Algiers (Gillo Pontecorvo, 1966)

One of several FLN bombings
Nebraska (Alexander Payne, 2013)
+
Cavalcade (Frank Lloyd, 1933)

Z (Costa-Gavras, 1969)
+

Yves Montand
247°F (Levan Bakhia & Beqa Jguburia, 2011)

Cat People (Paul Schrader, 1982)

Wild at Heart (David Lynch, 1990)

Babette's Feast (Gabriel Axel, 1987)

Stéphane Audran

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Bad Blood (1986) -

Ever since I was a child when I start crying I can't stop. It's like being a hemophiliac.

A lot better than Holy Motors, but some scenes were annoying and the beginning was chaotic. I loved the intimate moments between Lavant and Binoche, the music, ending and the second part of the movie in general. Julie Delpy on a motorcycle saves the day. How awesome is that?

Vampire's Kiss (1988) -

Alva. Alva. Alva. Alva. Alva! Alva! ALVA!

Awfully hilarious. Atrociously funny. Didn't laugh that hard since Miami Connection and before that, during a movie, like never? Caginess at its best! And I mean it's one of his best performances - great face expressions and going completely batshEEt crazy! Also, I finally understood the term of 'black comedy'. The scene, in which he chases Alva made me laugh so much, but in fact it portrayed a terrible thing.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

12 Years a Slave (Steve McQueen / 2013)

American Hustle (David O. Russell / 2013)

Dallas Buyer's Club (Jean-Marc Vallée / 2013)

Her (Spike Jonze / 2013)

Wolf of Wall Street (Martin Scorsese / 2013)

I don't think I've seen a better string of cinema releases. I'm surprised how much I liked these films.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

The Sacrifice (Andrei Tarkovsky, 1986)
(149 min)
The Eliminator (Ken Barbet, 2004)

The Undefeated (Andrew V. McLaglen, 1969)

Batman (Tim Burton, 1989)
-

The Batwing
O (Tim Blake Nelson, 2001)
-
Charisma (Kiyoshi Kurosawa, 1999)
+
The Old Dark House (William Castle, 1963)
+
Detective Bureau 2-3: Go to Hell Bastards (Seijun Suzuki, 1963)
+

Tamio Kawaji, Jô Shishido
There Was a Father (Yasujiro Ozu, 1942)
+
Mean Creek (Jacob Aaron Estes, 2004)
+
Pokémon 4: The Movie (Kunihiko Yuyama & Jim Malone, 2001)

Jerry and Tom (Saul Rubinek, 1998)
+

Joe Mantegna, Sam Rockwell, Charles Durning, Maury Chaykin
The Last Hard Men (Andrew V. McLaglen, 1976)

Martha Marcy May Marlene (Sean Durkin, 2011)

A Street of Love and Hope (Nagisa Ôshima, 1959)

The Jolson Story (Alfred E. Green, 1946)
+

Larry Parks
Time After Time (Gary Harvey, 2011)

Love Games (Joung Yumi, 2012)

The Last Frontier (Anthony Mann, 1955)

The Green Years (Victor Saville, 1946)

Dean Stockwell, Charles Coburn

Finished here. It's been fun.
I Stand Alone
The main character of this film is simply called The Butcher. The Butcher is evil,depressed,psychotic and completely off the hinges. This film is told through his narration over a few days in his effed up life. If you take Falling Down,combine it with a bit of Taxi Driver and throw in a hint of depravity,sadism, and incest this is the end result.I only rate this film a
. I cant figure out if this movie actually wants to say something or if it is simply a director trying desperately to get our attention.

Ugetsu
Really good cinema.This is one of those films where by the time you finish it you simply have nothing to say.Ugetsu takes place in 16th century Japan and focuses on two men who are simply trying to get by, and when an opportunity to make some money arises they venture forth on their journey. This film deals with numerous themes such as family,respect,honor,human desire and ambition.It's an achingly human film that contains supernatural elements, which are extremely well done I must add. There were some very poignant,powerful scenes littered throughout this film's modest 96 minute runtime. Highly recommended film, a true classic.
+

Le Samourai-
This movie is just Cool, it is really cool. It is about a silent,mysterious hitman who who is extremely good at what he does. He lives in an isolated,dirty little apartment and his only companion is a little bird. We learn very little about this character, we just see him go through his routine day in,day out. I love character-study films like this. I really wish I could write a more insightful review on this superb film, but I simply cant. Le Sampurai is something that just has to be seen, something that has to be felt. It's smooth, sophisticated, sleek and perfectly constructed.
+

Cries &Whispers-
Another cheerful, sentimental, light-hearted piece of cinema from that old rascal Bergman. This is a film the whole family can enjoy! It only deals with death,illness,genital mutilation,facades,family troubles,infidelity,and the fatalistic elements of our empty cold existence etc,etc. I would really like to see Bergman tackle a more serious film one day, but oh well. He's very good at making tender films that make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.Forrest Gump move out the way cause the best feel-good movie of all-time has just been discovered.

Chappie doesn't like the real world
I haven't seen I Stand Alone but I'm not a fan of Gasper Noe in general.
You're last sentence is how I feel about all his films that I've seen, but I don't find him worth trying to figure out.

12 Years a Slave (Steve McQueen)

Of all the Oscar fare I've seen so far, this is my least favorite. I don't know. A lot of horrible things happen and you hate the people you're supposed to hate and feel for the people you're supposed to feel for and that was about it for me.

I want to see the movie where this one ends. I think the trials and his life after being released would make for an interesting movie. If it had more substance than I feel 12 Years had.

Also, Paul Dana is really starting to irritate me. He's becoming such a showy actor and there is really something arrogant about his performances. I had high hopes for him after Little Miss Sunshine and Meek's Cutoff, but I don't like him much now.
+

Fish Tank (2009 Andrea Arnold)

I forgot how really good this is. Firstly, Katie Jarvis in her first (and only) role captures perfectly every mood, feeling, thought that a girl in her position would have. Some of her best moments are when she is eavesdropping on the adults in her world trying to figure it all out. She never over does anything and she feels completely natural.

Michael Fassbender is perfect here too. He is able to turn his role around from charming nice guy to abhorrent sleezebag so seamlessly that it's as if he is betraying the viewer.

The director is very good about telling the story in away that we not only understand Mia's actions, we feel like we would have made the same choices.

It's pretty bleak subject but it offers hope without wrapping it up in a tidy little bow. There is a scene near the end that might be one of my favorite scenes in a movie ever. That particular scene makes me forgive any missteps there might be along the way.

12 Years a Slave (Steve McQueen)

Of all the Oscar fare I've seen so far, this is my least favorite. I don't know. A lot of horrible things happen and you hate the people you're supposed to hate and feel for the people you're supposed to feel for and that was about it for me.

I want to see the movie where this one ends. I think the trials and his life after being released would make for an interesting movie. If it had more substance than I feel 12 Years had.

Also, Paul Dana is really starting to irritate me. He's becoming such a showy actor and there is really something arrogant about his performances. I had high hopes for him after Little Miss Sunshine and Meek's Cutoff, but I don't like him much now.
+
I felt the same way the first time I watched this, though it's not my least favorite of the Oscar contenders I've seen. That title goes to American Hustle. 12 Years did improve some for me on rewatch though.

And I've always disliked Dano, but he's definitely gotten worse with each movie I see of his.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
What's wrong? I'd say that The Sacrifice is about exactly equal to Pokemon 4: The Movie
I really liked Pokemon when I was a kid.

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
I was waiting for that. Pokemon 4 kicks its butt.
I really liked Pokemon when I was a kid.
I'd say Pokemon 4 (or should I say, Pokemon 4Ever) was right around the time I stopped watching it as a kid

I felt the same way the first time I watched this, though it's not my least favorite of the Oscar contenders I've seen. That title goes to American Hustle. 12 Years did improve some for me on rewatch though.

And I've always disliked Dano, but he's definitely gotten worse with each movie I see of his.
I wasn't wild about American Hustle either.

Oh good. I was starting to think everyone was crazy about him. Not me. One more movie with him showboating and he will officially suck.

Pokémon 4 is freaking awesome hahaha, just for nostalgia I'd give it a good score

Vampire's Kiss (1988) -

Alva. Alva. Alva. Alva. Alva! Alva! ALVA!

Awfully hilarious. Atrociously funny. Didn't laugh that hard since Miami Connection and before that, during a movie, like never? Caginess at its best! And I mean it's one of his best performances - great face expressions and going completely batshEEt crazy! Also, I finally understood the term of 'black comedy'. The scene, in which he chases Alva made me laugh so much, but in fact it portrayed a terrible thing.
Yes -- that scene where he chases Alva is hysterical. Especially when they're running down the staircase.

Miss Vicky and I watched this together for the first time while doing a commentary. It was quite an experience. The movie is a real gem.