R.I.P. Robert Morse

Tools    

Bummer. Robert Morse was very likable on screen. I've enjoyed everything I've seen him. I just seen him in How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying (1967) and having been meaning to see A Guide for the Married Man (1967) Think I'll also watch The Boatniks (1970)it sounds fun.

I always say if it hadn't been for Jerry Lewis, then Robert Morse would have been Jerry Lewis.
(Meaning, he would have been one of the top comic icons of the 60's.)

I just saw this and was about to post it if someone else hadn't. This guy absolutely lit up the screen with his iconic character J Pierpont Finch in How To Suceed in Business Without Really Trying. He was the gold standard for that role, the same way Preston was for The Music Man or Brynner for The King and I. I also loved him in a short-lived musical series during the 60's called That's Life and was cast very effectively against type in Gene Kelly's all-star comedy A Guide for the Married Man, This guy had mad charisma and Mickey Rooney-calibre energey, bringing a little something extra to everything he did that the material didn't provide. RIP

There's an Alfred Hitchcock TV episode called "Hitch Hike" (1960) where Morse plays a juvenile delinquent who's just gotten out of a juvenile prison work camp.
It's kind of funny because, even though it's an early role for him, it's such a departure from the type of comedic characters he'd later play.
(Suzanne Pleshette guest stars!)

@Captain Steel, I'd forgotten all about that Alfred Hitchcock episode! I even watched it about a year ago and still forgot. Thanks for the memory.

Very sad to hear of his passing. When I was a kid, I learned about him through my sisters who thought he was cute, and so they/we would try to catch him in any movie he was in on TV. I guess the thing I remember seeing him most in was A Guide For the Married Man also starring Walter Matthau and the beautiful Inger Stevens. Loved that movie. I also remember him in The Loved One where he was in charge of a Hollywood funeral business. I knew he was in Mad Men but I've only seen a few episodes of that series. Maybe I'll watch the whole thing one day. Godspeed, Robert.

Many people probably also don't remember that Robert played Grandpa Munster in a made-for-TV movie: Here Come the Munsters (1995)...
Yeah, I knew he was in it but I actively avoid any remake of The Munsters because for me, the original is so indelible and the actors were perfect for their parts. It's also one of my favorite series of all-time, so that doesn't help me with remakes or reworks, what have you. So, you already know I'm going to avoid the Rob Zombie film version that he's making, even if it's going to PG or PG-13, which I've heard.

But, I'm sure Morse was fine as Grandpa. Just my preference keeps me from seeing it.

Yes! The Loved One is such an overlooked treasure.

Yeah, I have to watch The Loved One
Oh absolutely. What a cast. Morse and Jonathan Winters in a dual role and Rod Steiger as Mr Joyboy. A young Paul Williams as this Werner Von Braun type prodigy. And a plethora of cameos.

@Captain Steel, I'd forgotten all about that Alfred Hitchcock episode! I even watched it about a year ago and still forgot. Thanks for the memory.

Very sad to hear of his passing. When I was a kid, I learned about him through my sisters who thought he was cute, and so they/we would try to catch him in any movie he was in on TV. I guess the thing I remember seeing him most in was A Guide For the Married Man also starring Walter Matthau and the beautiful Inger Stevens. Loved that movie. I also remember him in The Loved One where he was in charge of a Hollywood funeral business. I knew he was in Mad Men but I've only seen a few episodes of that series. Maybe I'll watch the whole thing one day. Godspeed, Robert.
I finally watched The Loved One a few days ago and loved it...here's a link to my review:

https://www.movieforums.com/reviews/...loved-one.html

Good review, @Gideon58! I need to see it again. Lots of things I'd like to see once more. A local movie channel that shows rarely-played movies aired Morse's movie I talked about A Guide For the Married Man. I haven't watched it again yet, but it's waiting for me on the DVR.

Good review, @Gideon58! I need to see it again. Lots of things I'd like to see once more. A local movie channel that shows rarely-played movies aired Morse's movie I talked about A Guide For the Married Man. I haven't watched it again yet, but it's waiting for me on the DVR.
I, too, think a re-watch of A Guide for the Married Man is overdue...for my money, Gene Kelly's best work as a director.