R.I.P. William Hurt

Tools    

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
wow. =\ obviously i can't "like" the post, but thanks for giving this a thread. i had no idea.

edited and liked. nice tribute.

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

The Adventure Starts Here!
https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/new...?ocid=msedgntp

Says he died of natural causes surrounded by family.

Still... too young. I just rewatched both Broadcast News and The Big Chill a few weeks ago. (I rewatch both of those a few times a year. Both are in my top ten favorite movies.)

Well, sh*t. I am calling a moratorium on deaths for the next three months or so. No one dies until then.

Did he get Hurt? alright i'll leave.

"How tall is King Kong ?"
Well, he was flawless in Body Heat, possibly the best noir 'femme fatale' movie ever (possibly because of its position between two eras of the genre, capturing the best of both worlds).

And he was an excellent Arkady Renko in Gorky Park. A shame they didn't adapt the sequels. They could have gone full Harry Palmer with him.

Oddly, I still haven't watched Altered State, which I've been willing to do since childhood. I should also rewatch Eyewitness. I don't remember it well. I remember that I liked it, but I don't remember if it was for other reasons than Weaver's presence.

A precious actor playing the 'average person' perfectly, with the right balance of toughness and vulnerability - and therefore credibility. I'd say there's a lack of believable "hitchcockian protagonists" nowadays, and his loss doesn't help.

So sad. The Big Chill, Body Heat, and Children of a Lesser God are among my favorites of Hurt. Broadcast News and A History of Violence also have great performances by him. Just stunned to hear that he has passed. Godspeed, William. 🙏

The trick is not minding
While I wasn’t as enthralled with him as an actor, I did enjoy a few of his films.
Even the ones I didn’t enjoy, (The Big Chill, A History of Violence, Broadcast News), I thought he was decent in them.

Thai reminds me how badly I need to see Gorky Park.

If I were him I would have instructed my family to put this on my tombstone...

Dance until your feet hurt,
Sing until your lungs hurt,
Act until you're William Hurt
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Still... too young. I just rewatched both Broadcast News and The Big Chill a few weeks ago. (I rewatch both of those a few times a year. Both are in my top ten favorite movies.)
I’ve seen The Big Chill a million times.

Very handsome man, but, for me, his voice was gorgeous.

R.I.P. 🙏✝️

I was shocked and heartbroken when I saw this on the news this morning...a charismatic and severely underrated actor who I loved for some often unconventional and unexpected acting choices he made that gave his work a flash and unpredictability. First saw him in Altered States, but he was fighting special effects in that one. He really got his first chance to shine as Nick, the broken drug dealer in The Big Chill. Loved his slightly off-kilter mob boss in A History of Violence and even though Geena Davis won an Oscar for the film, I think Hurt was the best thing about The Accidental Tourist. Loved him on the FX series Damages too. Loved him as Meryl Streep's scummy husband in One True Thing and Mia Farrow's scummy husband in Alice. His pretty by newscaster in Broadcast Newswas also a lot of fun. I have to confess that I have never seen what are probably his two best known films...Children of a Lesser God and his Oscar-winning performance in Kiss of a Spider Woman. Will be watching at least one of them before the week is out. RIP.