Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

God Bless America, Bobcat (wtf) Goldthwait
I usually try to judge movies by what they are: movies. I try to enjoy how the story is paced, the acting, the photography, the style, etc. etc.
This movie, though, is so unbearably arrogant in shoving its message down its viewers' throat that I just can't.
Humanity, specifically America, sucks according to Goldthwaith. He could have developed this thematic in a thousand different ways, but he chooses to make this movie not for the people who do not suck and do NOT spend their whole lives in front of the TV watching Fox News and talent shows, the ones that could save this poor humanity. Nope. He treats the viewers just like mass media treats them: like idiots.
Nothing is left to the intelligence of the viewers, everything has to be explained by pathetically cliche' monologues poorly delivered by Joel Murray (I don't blame him, though), or generic hatred rants. Nothing is subtle, everything is right there on the screen. Hey do you watch TV? You suck! Do you take pics with your phone? You suck! Do you give high fives? You suck! Do occupy two parking spots when you park? You suck! Ok, this last one I agree with BUT...
... Goldthwait complains about how there is no respect or shame left in our society, and then sends two frustrated people (so original btw, we have a divorced overweight unattractive man and a cool rebel teenager in love with Alice Cooper) shooting at people for being rude.
Dude, shooting someone is kinda rude, you realize that right?
Awful, seriously. Like, awful.
Nothing makes me angrier than the right message delivered the wrong way, because it ruins the message itself.
3/10

The Martian, Ridley Scott
Perfectly polished blockbuster. You know what you get for your 12 dollars before you sit down and you are not disappointed: Everything works perfectly, it doesn't take any unwanted risks, everything is predictable, everything is professional, well thought and greatly executed.
I really have no complaints about it.
It would have been a 7 but I added half a point because of the one thing I really didn't expect: ABBA in the soundtrack, and I love ABBA. Like, I even liked Mamma Mia! But that's a story for another night.
7.5/10

Kiki's Delivery Service (Miyazaki, 1989)

Was expecting more, but this film is still awesome. Seriously, I've not seen a legitimately "bad" film by Miyazaki and his Studio Ghibli yet.

Studio Ghibli made Tales of Earthsea which is not a good movie in 2006. The Cat Returns from 2002 is also pretty bland. However, these films were not directed by the masters.

Miazaki is perhaps the most consistent living film director. He is a perfectionist and that is the reason why he doesn't work on TV as most Anime directors do as films allow him the freedom to work a lot on a few scenes to polish his work to near perfection.

Mia Madre (2015) - Nanni Moretti

A very sincere, real and restrained film...there is somewhat a mastery in the way it's edited and developed...

8 out of 10

Death By Hanging (1968) - Nagisa Oshima

The film started as a statement against Capital Punishment...it remained that way, but in between many other issues came around...and in the end, It seemed much more than making any one statement...could be enthralling...but may not be for everyone's taste...

8 out of 10

My recent Halloween horror viewing. Nothing but horror this month.

The Innocents is a one of the most chilling and eerie horror films I've seen. The film's intro with the young girl singing set the tone perfectly. The scenes in which the ghosts appear are really creepy in a dark, gothic and almost overt way. They aren't really jump scares in the modern sense, but more slow and unnerving. The scene where the man's faces appears at the window is a perfect example. The same goes for the way the dark figures appear in the house, all done with clever angles and quick turns, very clever filming, which makes The Innocents something unique for its time.

Only Lovers Left Alive is not a vampire film in the standard sense, their isn't really any blood or gore. Adam (Tom Middleton) and Eve (Tilda Swinton) have been lovers for centuries, but have only just been reunited. Both seem bored with their immortal existence and just drift around. However, one thing both of them are interested in is a constant supply of fresh blood, which pay doctors in hospitals for, as they have refrained from killing to stay undiscovered. The film is full of cultural references as the two vampire discuss their experiences through the centuries, and explores what it would be like to be immortal rather than the usual vampire tropes. Only Lovers Left Alive brings something new and unique to the vampire genre.

Much like The Blob remake I watched last week, this film screams 80s horror. Everything is over the top, the death scenes, characters, and the Dolls themselves. Ok, this film is never gonna win any awards for its acting, which is for the most part terrible. But it's an 80s horror about killer dolls, who needs acting? Cliches, cheese, blood and gore will do just fine thank you.

John Holden, a hypnotist and psychologist, travels to London to attend a paranormal psychology symposium, and at the same time perform an investigation into a supposed devil worshiping cult. At which point he meets Joanna Harrington at the funeral of her father, a college of Holden's, who she thinks was killed by the cult leader Dr Karswell..The enigmatic Dr Karswell warns Holden to call off his investigation or face the consequences. Holden, very skeptical about Karswell's so called powers, persists and then strange things start to happen to him, and Holden soon starts to believe that he has been cursed. A thrilling game of cat and mouse starts between Holden and Karswell,

Some of the shots in the film are brilliantly atmospheric, the opening scene being the best: the car driving down the dark foggy road with the trees in the foreground. The demon itself looks quite convincing, besides the last shot of the film, where it looks quite comical, like a cheap hand puppet. Despite the dated effects, Night of the Demon is a great psychological horror.

Kids used to sing that song at school..one two Freddy's coming for you ..three four.. A Nightmare on Elm Street is one of the those films my parents used to try and stop me watching on TV late at night, and what all the kids talked about at school. One of the three big horror franchises of the 80s, which spawned one of the most iconic horror killers ever, this film still holds up to modern horrors. It's the colorful characters, over the top style, and most of all, 80s music, that makes films like this so re-watchable. The 80s was without doubt the golden age of horror, and this film is one of the decade's best.

Welcome to the human race...
The Chronicles of Riddick -

Either I'm underrating this or I overrated Jupiter Ascending or both.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
God Bless America, Bobcat (wtf) Goldthwait
I usually try to judge movies by what they are: movies. I try to enjoy how the story is paced, the acting, the photography, the style, etc. etc.
This movie, though, is so unbearably arrogant in shoving its message down its viewers' throat that I just can't.
Humanity, specifically America, sucks according to Goldthwaith. He could have developed this thematic in a thousand different ways, but he chooses to make this movie not for the people who do not suck and do NOT spend their whole lives in front of the TV watching Fox News and talent shows, the ones that could save this poor humanity. Nope. He treats the viewers just like mass media treats them: like idiots.
Nothing is left to the intelligence of the viewers, everything has to be explained by pathetically cliche' monologues poorly delivered by Joel Murray (I don't blame him, though), or generic hatred rants. Nothing is subtle, everything is right there on the screen. Hey do you watch TV? You suck! Do you take pics with your phone? You suck! Do you give high fives? You suck! Do occupy two parking spots when you park? You suck! Ok, this last one I agree with BUT...
... Goldthwait complains about how there is no respect or shame left in our society, and then sends two frustrated people (so original btw, we have a divorced overweight unattractive man and a cool rebel teenager in love with Alice Cooper) shooting at people for being rude.
Dude, shooting someone is kinda rude, you realize that right?
Awful, seriously. Like, awful.
Nothing makes me angrier than the right message delivered the wrong way, because it ruins the message itself.
3/10
The film isn't a masterpiece, but I do love the theme, and I do agree society is pretty much dead. Just because we can still walk doesn't mean we're still standing. Just like America..

Inside Out (2015)

This movie has been talked about so much that me writing a review here is redundant. One important thing I have to say is: Pixar finally got their stuff back together!

Ok, i saw Paranoia

Best movie,i feel totally identified with the main character
I definitely recommend to see this movie, its about technology and big companies. Accion,love,friedship...

Finished here. It's been fun.

My Darling Clementine

how the hell was John Ford able to make so many great pictures throughout his career? one great film after another. one of the 5-greatest directors ever imo.

The film isn't a masterpiece, but I do love the theme, and I do agree society is pretty much dead. Just because we can still walk doesn't mean we're still standing. Just like America..
Absolutely, I just think that there waaaay better things that could have been done with that theme.
I don't how easy it would be, but you should check out Goodnight, Ladies and Gentleman. It's about Italian society, but the concept is pretty much the same.
Or heck, even American Dreamz, which I think is an extremely underrated movie.

Originally Posted by RealHero
I like God Bless America. I SUCK!
BANG BANG BANG

Fright Night, Tom Holland.
Nice and enternaining, beautifully 80sish, horror flick with some really good moments and really impressive make-up job on the creatures. Damn those vampires are ugly!
6.5/10

Welcome to the human race...
Cabin Fever -

This genuinely makes me question why I watch horror movies at all. I can't tell if it's an effective horror or just a really unpleasant one (and if I'm overrating it). Will work this out in the longer review.

13 Assassins (2011) - Takashi Miike

Very much like a homage to Seven Samurai. Though the first one remains way ahead, but I can't deny the sheer entertainment factor of 13 Assassins...was glued to the screen throughout...

the final fighting sequence was far too long though...and those army of 200 seemed like 500...

8 out of 10