Blade Runner

→ in
Tools    

My interpretatoom of the movie is ambiguous: Decard is and isn't a replicant at the same time.
i m gonna have to agree with you, that s what i find aswell

That's why the look on Deckard's face as he picks up the unicorn and realizes that Gaff had already been in his apartment, is a smirk...That smirk indicates what Deckard is thinking.

You ready? You look ready.
I always thought he is smirking because he knows that not every replicant has an early termination date, so whilst Gaff thinks he will die in a few years Deckard is all like "old age here I come, baby!"
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
That's why the look on Deckard's face as he picks up the unicorn and realizes that Gaff had already been in his apartment, is a smirk...That smirk indicates what Deckard is thinking.
Well what was Deckard thinking then? He gives this smirk in the original theatrical cut as well, before Ridley Scott decided he was a replicant. So what was he smirking at originally?

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
He was thinking about noodles, bringing the film full circle to ordering them earlier on the street. It's a symbolic nod that his partner was there and could have totally but didn't, so Deckard will be on the run---on the road---where he first bought noodles. See, noodles represent the string theory. By hungering for noodles, Deckard is in essence both human and an evolved representation of humanity as a replicant. The stringy noodle binds them together forever. Eating noodles is him manifesting his free will reserved for humanity; however, eating them and after digesting them means he really doesn't give a ****. Though he literally will by eating them. Which was kinda the point of the paper unicorn. Choice. To poop or not to poop. As a replicant he doesn't need to. But to do so is human. So he eats the noodles. He wants noodles. He wants to be human. To poop.

Okay so if a lot of fans agree that Ridley deciding to make Deckard a replicant after the theatrical release was a bad idea, than why are the director's cut and final cut more popular then?

Welcome to the human race...
Because there's still a lot more to dislike about the theatrical cut and how studio interference compromised it by giving it a "happy" ending where Deckard and Rachael simply drive out of the polluted city into the clean countryside and there's some tacked-on voice-over about how Rachael is a special prototype replicant that is capable of living much longer than just four years (to say nothing of how the whole film was given redundant narration that was badly written and delivered, arguably because the creators wanted it to be too bad to be usable).

Yeah that's true, good points. I read that for the theatrical ending, that they used unused footage from The Shining, of the mountains. However, Blade Runner was shot in 2.39:1, where as The Shining was shot in 1.33:1, if I am correct. So how is it that they were able to use the footage therefore, unless they stretched it out to 2.39?

Well what was Deckard thinking then? He gives this smirk in the original theatrical cut as well, before Ridley Scott decided he was a replicant. So what was he smirking at originally?
What would make you smirk? And what wouldn't you smirk at? Think about that and it will help you to understand why Deckard was smirking.

Looks like they just letterboxed it.

But what I mean is, is that The Shining was shot in 4:3 though. You can't just letter box 4:3. So how did they do it, did they zoom into the 4:3 footage?

After watching it again I have a question about part of the plot out of curiosity:

WARNING: "SPOILER" spoilers below
When Decard finds the stripper replicant, why doesn't he just blow her away immediately at the strip club? Or even more logical, why doesn't he just not make contact with her at all, and just survey her, so she will lead him to the other rebels during their next meet up?

Another thing is, when Decard's boss tells him there is one more to go, he corrects his boss and says there is 3 more to go. Why does Decard correct him? Decard hates his job and didn't even want it, so when your boss says one more to go, why would he correct him thereby asking for more work, when he hates the job?

After watching it again I have a question about part of the plot out of curiosity:

When Decard finds the stripper replicant, why doesn't he just blow her away immediately at the strip club? Or even more logical, why doesn't he just not make contact with her at all, and just survey her, so she will lead him to the other rebels during their next meet up?

Another thing is, when Decard's boss tells him there is one more to go, he corrects his boss and says there is 3 more to go. Why does Decard correct him? Decard hates his job and didn't even want it, so when your boss says one more to go, why would he correct him thereby asking for more work, when he hates the job?
I need to rewatch to answer u..it s been a while

I think I read somewhere that they dubbed Harrison Ford's voice in one of the original cuts of this. I'm curious if some of you could verify how big of a star was Ford at the time BR was released in '82. This is post Star Wars (2) and Raiders so I'm wondering if Scott didn't think he was an established enough star or just crazy

I think I read somewhere that they dubbed Harrison Ford's voice in one of the original cuts of this. I'm curious if some of you could verify how big of a star was Ford at the time BR was released in '82. This is post Star Wars (2) and Raiders so I'm wondering if Scott didn't think he was an established enough star or just crazy
I am not sure what you are asking here? Harrison Ford's voice was not dubbed. He recorded voice over narration for the original release but his voice was not dubbed over by another actor.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I am not sure what you are asking here? Harrison Ford's voice was not dubbed. He recorded voice over narration for the original release but his voice was not dubbed over by another actor.
1. So there was never a version of BR with Harrison Ford's voice dubbed by another actor when it was first released in 82?
2. I wasn't born yet, and was he considered a huge movie star post Star Wars/Indiana Jones, pre internet era.

No... the "voice over dub" is Harrison Ford giving a voice over as the end of the movie plays out.
BR has a few versions, can't remember which version it was where he does it.
It's basically him and Rachel driving out of the city into the country, and Ford's voice plays over the footage.

Ford was well known already though due to Star Wars but Indiana Jones had yet to be released... and he wasn't quite yet Hollywood royalty... and if I remember rightly, Scott cast him on Spielberg's praise for his acting skills.
Scott was looking at huge name actors like Robert Mitchum, Dustin Hoffman, Jack Nicholson, Paul Newman, Clint Eastwood, Al Pacino... and apparently even considered Schwarzenegger at one point.
Schwarzenegger barely spoke English though at the time.

No... the "voice over dub" is Harrison Ford giving a voice over as the end of the movie plays out.
BR has a few versions, can't remember which version it was where he does it.
It's basically him and Rachel driving out of the city into the country, and Ford's voice plays over the footage.

Ford was well known already though due to Star Wars but Indiana Jones had yet to be released... and he wasn't quite yet Hollywood royalty... and if I remember rightly, Scott cast him on Spielberg's praise for his acting skills.
Scott was looking at huge name actors like Robert Mitchum, Dustin Hoffman, Jack Nicholson, Paul Newman, Clint Eastwood, Al Pacino... and apparently even considered Schwarzenegger at one point.
Schwarzenegger barely spoke English though at the time.
Ah, okay, now I understand. I'm almost positive I heard that somewhere before, It just seemed baffling to not trust a well known/capable actor because his voice/accent wasn't something the director was comfortable with. Maybe there's a universe where Arnold got that part.

That's a good question. My only apologetic guess would be that the Replicants are such a threat that he has to retire them as soon as he positively ID's them (they're too dangerous to let run around). On the other hand, he must have a positive ID, to be absolutely sure that he does not kill a human. Thus, he has to get close and really confirm (e.g., put the "machine" on the suspect), but then immediately liquidate. But you're right, it doesn't make sense. Deckard should have recognized her, and then backed off, tailing her when she went home.

Here is another question. Why didn't Deckard go to Leon's last known address before going to the Tyrell Pyramid? Deckard has video images of what the Replicants look like. He doesn't need to know how they score on the VK test, or listen to Tyrell prattle on about memories, because he has very clear image of their faces. If you see this guy with this face, you shoot this guy in the face. This isn't complicated. Seeing as how Deckard has permission to recklessly shoot at people in crowded areas, this seems to be a simple task. Why even use special detectives? Just get a bunch of cops and give them the picture and sweep the likely haunts (you know, like the last known address)?